Butler Bulldogs (18-6) vs Villanova Wildcats (21-2) - 2/14

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Jared Grubbs, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $120
    If Butler has Chrabascz back and a couple of games under his belt to knock the rust off, maybe. Otherwise I think it'll be on you guys, Georgetown and whoever else makes it from the Big East to make the Big noise.

After the game and press conference, Coach Holtmann said to some Villanova fans hanging in the halls of Hinkle "I hope you guys enjoy the rest of your year, you have a really great team."

Also, for your enjoyment, here's the full Villanova press conference:

2. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,158
    Butlerfan you're either missing my point or we'll just have to agree to disagree. Kam is most valuable under the basket and the only other shot he can hit is a free throw. Stevens always allowed freedom to everyone to shoot and Kam did..... Never had any arch but could hit the 15-18 footer on occasion. That changed under BM and now I think CH has defined Kam's role into what he does best and I don't think CH will ask anything different.

3. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    I understand what you are saying and I think you are getting my point too. I think it will be very difficult for us to win during this "Chrabascz absence stretch" with Woods scoring 4-5 pts on average. He's plays ALOT of minutes. He has more ability to score the ball than he has shown. He hasn't been asked to do that cause he has been Option 5 in the starting lineup. He just moved up in the pecking order especially if Chris decides to pair AE/Wideman or Davis with him and keep Kelan at the 2/3.

Woods is an experienced player. He has played a ton of minutes these last two years and was a vital bench player his SOPH year. I think he can do it. I think he is going to have to do it if we want to continue "winning" while 45 is out. I am not talking about him scoring 13-15 pts a game, but he needs to get 8/9. Not sure if we can survive with the 2/4 pt games out of him now.

4. Staxawax

Money:
    $10,158
    For the sake of argument I hope you are right and I am wrong!

5. ThaddeusB

ThaddeusB Active Member

Money:
    $5,482
    Well, you are close. For the year Creighton has indeed been the second worst defense, but the worst in DePaul, not Xavier. In Conference play, the two are flip-flopped. Xavier, while mediocre on defense, is still miles better than these two both overall and in conference play.

6. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    The thing I am wondering about. Does Chris abandon his idea of just playing Kelan as a wing guard now? If he pairs Woods with AE/Wideman and or Davis at the 4 and 5 exclusively, we will be "offensively challenged". No doubt in my mind about that. I guess we will find out vs Creighton. Glad we have a game so soon, as I am very curious to see how Chris allocates minutes and how much he does involve Woods offensively. You could be right, they could continue to just ask Kam to board and defend. That is going to put alot of pressure on Martin/AE/Wideman and Davis to score some. And if Martin continues to just sub for Dunham and Jones, not sure how we make up for Chrabascz' near 13 pts a game in the BE.

7. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    The funny thing about Depaul is they actually have the personnel to be adequate defensively. Their coach just doesn't stress that end of the court and the players go thru the motions. They are way too geared for scoring. I actually was impressed with Depaul when they came to Hinkle though. If they would ever get dedicated on both ends of the court they would be a NCAA team. I still would fire Purnell at seasons end, even though they had a semi resurgence this year. His system of play will never win in this league over the long haul.

IMO X and Creighton both have personnel issues that make them terrible defensive teams.

On a sidenote this would be a good conversation piece. What BE coach(s) get fired at seasons end?

Or leave their job for another gig?

I have 4 in mind.

FIRED Willard
    FIRED Purnell
    FIRED Lavin(if he doesn't get Chieck Diallo)
    ANOTHER JOB Mack

8. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,305
    Butlerfan--liked your use of "Chrabascz absence" = #Chrabsence Hopefully really short-lived:)

9. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,529
    Be interesting to see if the team rallies or falls. Tomorrow in Omaha can be tough.

10. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,060
    It is imperative that we come out strong in Omaha. Can't let their fans get in to it. I could see the Jays shooting well tomorrow. I hope I am wrong. We have to defend Kreklow better than last time.

11. Dawgs4Life

Dawgs4Life Active Member

Money:
    $133
    Is anyone else slightly concerned that Martin loses a little confidence after the end to that game?

12. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,535
    JMO here, but, no. He had a final play drawn up for him and it was insanely run well. He missed a long shot while running in hard core. It would have a been a great shot, but big players take and miss many big shots.

Also, Martin is a boss. Kid is not intimidated by anything or anyone. He'll be just fine and over these next couple of weeks, we're going to need him to be great.

13. chas1116

chas1116 Active Member

Money:
    $268
    Am I the only one that remembers Woods hitting a late 3 in the CRC against Purdue his Freshman year? Looking back, he actually shot FIVE 3's in that game and hit 2.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  14. jvoigt

jvoigt Member

Money:
    $125
    Kam Woods was 11-61 from 3 his freshman year. That's 18%. Don't think that's an option. I looked this up on KenPom.

I think Butler will go with it's best defensive lineup, which means Wideman starts. I'm OK with this. It's next man up time.

AC usually guards opposing teams centers. Kam operates best when he doesn't guard opposing teams centers. I don't
    look for K. Martin to play out of position. If he doesn't know all the defensive assignments playing one of our big man
    positions he's not going to learn them overnight.

I do worry about the players that will be filling in for AC getting into foul trouble. Both Wideman and Austin have high
    foul rates.

15. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,555
    Agree, I watched part of the CU-Marquette game on Saturday (early game before ours). The FS1 video reel coming back from halftime was Kreklow hitting a bunch of 3's from all over the court. We need to stay on him, seems like he's really dialing in his shot right now.

16. chas1116

chas1116 Active Member

Money:
    $268
    I don't think I have ever seen a stat line like that before where a kid bombs 61 3's his freshman year and then virtually none the next 3 years. I have seen it the other way- Howard, Andrew Smith, etc who developed a 3 in later years but never the opposite. Woods must have had a decent long range shot in HS or why the hell else would he be allowed to chuck up 61 his Fr year?

17. Staxawax

Money:
    $10,158
    Partly because Stevens never discouraged anyone from shooting. But with Kam's form he should be tremendous from 10 feet in using the board. Unfortunately, he's not.

18. Staxawax

Money:
    $10,158
    I don't say these things about Woods to complain, I just want him to continue to do what he's doing....... near the top of league in offensive and defensive rebounds, and grabbing the miss and jamming it home!