Butler Bulldogs (18-7) at Creighton Bluejays (12-14) - 2/16

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Jared Grubbs, Feb 15, 2015.

1. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,534
    Holtmann has a talent/depth issue...so do a lot of coaches. But more so, he kept this team grounded and focused while their "head coach" went off the grid. It would have been easy, simple, tempting and damn near warranted for these kids to say "f it all, Miller deserted us, let's play for ourselves or let's get the hell out of here." Holtmann held it together. That's the most impressive thing to me. I don't agree with some of his in game decisions and get confused at times with personnel use, but, he's really been the strength this group of guys needed to not only move forward from what was a huge disaster, but move forward with confidence and success. That right there is one hell of a job.

2. GO_DAWGS!

GO_DAWGS! Active Member

Money:
    $87
    +1 Well said, couldn't agree more! We are AMAZINGLY lucky to have had him waiting in the wings when this all went down. If he isn't sitting there, we are probably still being coached by an "interim" lame duck coach, in anticipation of a national coaching search. The way it turns out, all the kids stayed, the commits stayed committed and they added Davis, we are top 25 in RPI, rank and Kenpom. We should be thankful upon thankful that not only did he keep the ship afloat, he improved it in about everyday possible.

3. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,158
    I would say he doesn't have a talent/depth issue. We wouldn't be where we are without talent. He does have an experience/depth issue.

And yes, I'd say posting "worst coaching job of the season" in the middle of a game thread, especially not knowing circumstances, is kind of shallow. Some people need to think before they hit "submit". Really some of the stuff.........both ways, is comical. I thought the Butler board was better than others, but I am the fool to think that!

4. BornADawg

BornADawg Member

Money:
    $32
    Agree for the most part but if that person said that in the middle of the game it actually is a compliment to the coach. If it's half way thru the game and you can declare something as the worst of the season that means he's done an overwhelmingly good job. May not have been the poster's message but if you look at the big picture you could take that away.

5. willisbrown

Money:
    $5,534
    Well I think that the vitriol spit on Monday night was all about AE getting so much run. We find out later Wideman was under the weather so it makes more sense. We came out with a win on a bad night. So, there's that.

As far as worst coaching job of the season-probably no. Marquette was.

6. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,529
    Where did you see Wideman was under the weather?

7. willisbrown

Money:
    $5,534
    Radio. Nick Gardner mentioned it.

8. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,318
    Coach Chris talked about Tyler being down during his Wednesday call in to Dakich's show.

9. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,529
    Too bad because he didn't get this week to prepare for his biggest opportunity so far.

10. ndfan1993

ndfan1993 Active Member

Money:
    $6
    I agree - which is why I said "perfect."

Worst of the season suddenly equals worst of all-time???

CH has done an outstanding job and should be the coach of the year in the Big East this year. Just because you are "coach of the year" doesn't mean you are immune from a bad game from time to time. He has coached 26 games for the Dawgs up till this point and done a great job in nearly all of them - no he isn't perfect but neither was Brad. The fact that he can, as I posted at the time, have his worst game of the season and still win is a testament to the job he has done.

11. ndfan1993

ndfan1993 Active Member

Money:
    $6
    It is the Butler message board - just what you should come to expect.