Jared Grubbs

Butler Bulldogs (19-10) vs St. John's Red Storm (14-15) - 2/28

Jared Grubbs, Feb 26, 2018

Settled
  1. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,184
    Part of me wanted to foul them right as they crossed half court, if they make both FT, that ties the game and Dawgs have longer to get off a shot. I know that with their height, they could have gotten the offensive rebound and put back and win.

2. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,193
    I thought about that too. Not only do you get the ball back but you prevent them from beating you with a three. I would think you do it if they have <60% free throw shooter but becomes more of a toss up if everyone is higher. Has anyone seen this strategy implemented—I have not.

The argument it in last nights game was that it was low scoring and they hadn’t made many threes. But in a general sense I’m sure there are scenarios where it makes analytical sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

3. ButlerNut

Money:
    $4,184
    If SJU made both FT, then it was still just a tie game. Dawgs get ball with 6 seconds instead of 4. Have time to get into front court and pass or drive all the way to the hoop and get fouled (maybe)

4. OldSchoolDawg1983

OldSchoolDawg1983 Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $345
    I wholly agree with your observation on PJ's impact on the game. IMO, it was the best five minutes of leadership I've witnessed from any Butler player (excluding KM) this season. His fire and moxie turned a game that was dead in the water into a winnable one.

bumba, #60 and ButlerNut like this.
  5. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,707
    This game left me disillusioned with the team a little... Sure we have some really good players, but how many teams from the past would have given up that lead with 17 seconds left and then failed to convert one of the 2 overtimes into a win... It isn't as much that we lost, but that we have become the teams that we used to beat by being tougher and smarter.

Still love our guys and will continue to support them and complain about how we get less calls than other teams. But I think the refs are comparing us to teams of the past and it doesn't favor this team. We aren't as tough or physical, in fact I think the way teams beat us is rough us up and hope the refs see the teams of old, give them the benefit of the doubt, because we are so physical. We have flashes of that, but we get just aren't overcoming the adversity which says we might not be as mentally tough as we need to be... Nobody sucks, but we just don't have the overcome anything mentality that teams had in the past.

FlyForaWeitzGuy likes this.
  6. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,471

7. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,648
    We also don't have a Matt Howard or Veasley who wouldn't back down and would throw their body at anything to win a game. KB, AT, Baddley, McD, Fowler, David aren't going to back down anyone. Nice kids though.

8. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,707
    They have some time left to get it, but I'd take the Chrab's/Jone's attitude, with all their flaws, as a addition to this teams skill set!

9. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,778
    If this is true, that’s absolutely despicable.

10. ButlerAlumDad716

ButlerAlumDad716 Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $440
    SJU had a size advantage in height and wing span on the inbounds. 7 out of 10 coaches would call the "Touchdown Jesus" play. 2 years ago I was at a session with numerous HS, AAU, D1 & D2 coaches covering special situations. Under 10 seconds they chose the long pass.

11. Dawgedd

Money:
    $1,193
    Im hoping Hastings has the toughness factor. From what I’ve heard he does

12. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,165
    Jorgenson is the only one with chops or swagger, in the past Butler had Howard, Heinje, Cornette, Marshall, Veasley, and several others I forget at this time.
    The Big East is a league of toughness which Butler doesn't have. Oh I forgot Rose Jones and AC. Butler needs a beast in the worst way.

Insane Dawg likes this.
  13. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,648
    Apparently Mullins knew that too.

14. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,648
    What have you heard and what are the sources?

15. Dawgedd

Money:
    $1,193
  16. Dawgedd

Money:
    $1,193
  17. ButlerNut

Money:
    $4,184
    Paulie talks. Everyone knows it. You have seen him get warned from an official before. He knows he runs his mouth. But the genuine shock on his face when he saw he got called for a T makes me think this is some truth. He wasn't acting overly aggressive toward the fan. They showed one baseline angle where he was just walking over and talking. Very calm. When he saw he got T'ed, he was shocked. He knows where the line is and toes it. Maybe sometime earlier in the game he was warned. But it almost appeared as if it was assumed by the ref that he was trash talking and by going toward the fans he was the instigator.

pappyball likes this.
  18. ButlerNut

Money:
    $4,184
    Wow...I guess it is a good thing I hung up my coaches whistle a while ago. I wouldn't have called that play.

dippper61 likes this.
  19. ButlerAlumDad716

Money:
    $440
    If Padgett had called it, Louisville would have most likely beaten Virginia.

20. ButlerAlumDad716

Money:
    $440
    As far as SJU, Don't underplay the role their senior night had in their victory. Be it adrenaline, strength in numbers, etc. that added factor beat BU. The psyched up crowd controlled the game, the stripes and the whistles. That's why almost every school holds the celebration pregame.