Jared Grubbs

Butler Bulldogs (19-10) vs St. John's Red Storm (14-15) - 2/28

Jared Grubbs, Feb 26, 2018

Settled
  1. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,193
    Of course--in Louisville's game there was 0.9 sec; in our game there was still 11 seconds. Completely different scenarios.

2. OldSchoolDawg1983

OldSchoolDawg1983 Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $345
    I suppose the rationale here is.........get the ball on your side of the court.......if something bad happens (intercepted pass, loose ball turnover), make your opponent use the 10 seconds to return the ball back 1/2 to 3/4 the length of the court to score. Further, the long pass more effectively avoids setting up double-team opportunities for the defense.

I trust that you have your sources............and accept the strategy, provided the play gives the in-bounder freedom to select two options: 1) floor-length pass; and 2) backcourt in-bound pass, if teammate receiver in #1 has not clearly separated from the defender.

Since the SJU defender anticipated the play and had KM tightly covered, but NF heaved the ball anyway, it doesn't seem as though option 2 was in the plan, nor that NF was looking for it. The result......the worse kind of pass for the situation.......over everyone's head and out of bounds.

Sorry.....I hear your case, but with the proper personnel on the floor, I like the backcourt in-bound pass as option #1 here. If the ball handler gets double-teamed and runs out of options, they can always heave the ball to the front court (or call time-out.......I don't recall if we had one), achieving roughly the same result as the floor-length pass. Wednesday night, I would've placed more trust with the ball readily in the hands of KB, PJ, SMcD, or KM ........than toss a floor length pass with uncertain results.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    ButlerNut likes this.
  3. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,184
    There was still a time out at BU's disposal (if the ball couldn't get inbounded or someone got stuck in a trap. Or bounce it off a defender's leg out of bounds, etc. SJU was going to try to trap for about 1 second and then be forced to foul. Since the 5 seconds closely guarded doesn't count in the back-court, whoever caught the inbound pass could just cover it like a running back going up the middle and just STAND THERE. No reason to even move. Get fouled. Make free throws. Escape with a W even after playing an ugly game.

4. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,193
    Who had the possession arrow? Refs call pretty quick jump balls. But if we had possession, our first option should have been to pass and if trapped just hold until fouls or jump ball. I

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app