Jared Grubbs

Butler Bulldogs (19-12) vs Seton Hall Pirates (21-10) - 3/8

Jared Grubbs, Mar 7, 2018

Settled
  1. wazthree

wazthree Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,917
    Wow, who cares about people that go to a conference tournament?

Creighton hasn’t been to a sweet 16 since 1974. Happy their fans are good at traveling to tournament games. Easy to do when you aren’t in that many and it hasn’t helped their success.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  2. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,141
    I think I have this right, but if you go through BU, then its a package including hotel and tickets that require a certain number of days and games...even if we are done. The past 4 years haven't exactly turned out so well, so I get the lack of interest in spending that kind of $$$, especially if you want to travel the next weekend (NCAA). I’d rather the fan base show well at the NCAA’s to be honest.

3. FlyForaWeitzGuy

FlyForaWeitzGuy Active Member

Money:
    $167
    So do you not believe in wind either?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

4. FlyForaWeitzGuy

Money:
    $167
    We do turn them over (slightly) more but it results in a ton of fouls which is why it’s so poor. One would think well every team is more likely to foul while pressing, which is a reasonable inference. There’s a reason that we’re ranked amongst the nations worst in that area though, and it’s not because we’re good at it.

PharmDDawg likes this.
  5. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,957
    I guess my question here would be what sample size goes into these numbers. Butler rarely presses except at the very end of games, where often times those fouls are intentional to extend the game. Teams that use a press occasionally at earlier points in the game won’t have their numbers skewed as much as Butler by intentionally fouling.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Tentozen, BUcheer and UDDawg like this.
  6. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,613
    Great strawman! Sorry you are all butthurt over being called out for your fake stats?

The only way to calculate how many points Butler gives up on their press is by watching every defensive possession from every game. Which you obviously didn't do.

Tentozen likes this.
  7. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,781
    Good lord! Take it somewhere else. You both seem butthurt about something. Break some bread, have some drinks - do something, but stop subjecting eveyone to all of this.

pappyball, tlp63, #60 and 2 others like this.
  8. FlyForaWeitzGuy

Money:
    $167
    It’s 3-4% of approximately 2500 defensive possessions. And yes I agree with your statement that the data will be skewed. However, amongst teams with at least as many possessions pressing as we have, we are next to last. While this qualifier probably acts to multiply the skew that Jared intimates, I think we have enough information to make a qualitative statement that we don’t do it well.

As far as the complaint made about the enforcer and me, I apologize for clogging the thread to all may have been off put by it.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

9. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,141
    Jared—to your point about “earlier points in the game” is where my thinking was. I wouldn’t mind seeing a press early when we are undergoing a scoring drought to get a quick transistion bucket. Maybe more about offense than strictly defense. A steal (and presumably a bucket) when we were down 12-0 the other night might have built a little confidence.

10. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,195
    I could see pressure against specific teams in a limited manner. But I would think not ever against Villanova . They have elite ball handlers and this will probably lead to wide open 3s or layups. But against other teams such as Ohio State that dont have strong ball handlers I think it makes some sense.

If nothing else I think just having Baldwin and Thompson put pressure (without necessarily taking risks for steals) to force the other team to start their offense 5-10 seconds later could be a boon to our half court defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app