Butler Bulldogs (19-9, 7-8 conf.) vs. DePaul (14-14, 2-13 conf.), February 29

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerNut, Feb 24, 2020.

1. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,613
    Butler didn't play this past weekend (that game at Creighton DIDN'T happen), so the team should be well rested for a home game against DePaul. Perhaps a game to extract a little revenge for the game at DePaul.

DePaul beat Georgetown to remain above .500 overall and pick up 2nd conference win.

Butler forfeited it's game against Creighton on Sunday to fall under .500 in conference play.

*note - the record is the DePaul record NOW. I realize they play X this week, and I will update after that game. I am very much hoping for DePaul to WIN on Tuesday and go 1-1 this week!

Go Dawgs!

2. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,848
    If the crowd gets into this early then we win by double digits.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

3. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,115
    I don't know that we'll have enough guys to field a team. Said it yesterday but I will again-thank God we do not have a game this week. I hate "off weeks" but I welcome this one. Bring in the medics and fix our wounded.

Nut makes a good observation that I wanted to add to-the way Xavier wins is by looking to beat you up and drag you down into a backyard game/brawl. DePaul may be fairly drained and off a little after going toe to toe with X for 40 minutes. X isn't going to let this one get away from them, so the best we can hope for is a wounded demon coming into Hinkle to play. Need to step hard on them from the beginning and try to reestablish some of our swagger.

cornette33 and SnoopDawg like this.
  4. nicklas_early

nicklas_early Active Member

Money:
    $420
    One word: Urgency.

MIBulldog and willisbrown like this.
  5. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,318
    After yesterday they should be well rested

6. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $684
    DePaul has the ingredients, but just hasn't been putting it together completely in league play. This will be a tough out for the Dawgs, especially since we don't know the status of AT & KB.

7. dawg767

dawg767 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $709
    Think it's safe to say that in conference play DePaul 'hasn't put it together completely' except for the 2 hours they spent on the court last month with Butler.

8. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,631
    To me it all depends on the health of AT & KB. If they are both good to go Saturday then I really like our chances against DePaul. If one of the two is out we can still win but it won’t be easy. If both are out I can’t see us winning.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

Blue three likes this.
  9. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,115
    With the week off I would think they'd both be good to go. If we were playing tomorrow or Wednesday I'd be quite uncertain.

cornette33 likes this.
  10. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,193
    Anyone heard anything about Smits - do they anticipate he'll play any time soon?

11. dawg767

dawg767 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $709
  12. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,613
    Bad take here. DePaul has not been able to close in conference play. But for 30 minutes in several games, they have looked great. They just can’t sustain it for the full 40.

I am gonna assume that’s what you meant

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

13. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,413
    It's true. The sum of DePaul's parts is more than the whole. The talent excuse isn't valid this year. They've got the players to be competitive (we saw that firsthand), but as ButlerNut points out, they can't get it together as a team to close out games. That's ultimately on Leitao.

I'm still quite worried about Saturday; DePaul shot really well against Butler before, and Butler's defense has gone down the tubes since then, especially from the arc. Team isn't healthy or playing with confidence. But a week's rest and DePaul likely playing a slugfest at Xavier before another road game certainly works in Butler's favor.

14. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $684
    Does DePaul have multiple NBA talents? Reed will definitely get a look, Weems will get there I think, Moore is probably too small and maybe more of a G League player. It's too bad they couldn't put it together more during the conference season.

15. Blue three

Blue three Active Member

Money:
    $91
    Here’s the breakdown:

0% chance of winning if both KB and AT are out
    20% chance of winning if AT plays and KB is out
    50% chance of winning if KB plays and AT is out
    80% chance of winning if both play

done.

16. hortonamos

hortonamos New Member

Money:
    $24
    I'm not 80% confident in anything at this point, even against DePaul. If the effort is like Sunday, there's a zero percent chance we win. Gordon Haywood ain't walking through that door.

17. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,117
    FWIW:

Record with AT: 17-7
    Record without AT: 2-2 (including 2 ugly home losses)

Record with CD: 13-4
    Record without CD: 6-5

bwesson15 and godogs91 like this.
  18. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,747
    I don’t think this is the exact point you’re making because AT really makes this team go, but David was so undervalued by the fan base. Not everything he did showed up on the stat sheet.

19. WMUDog

WMUDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $624
    If they are both out I don't see us having a chance. We only have 3 true guards as it is and the lone standing would be Battle.

20. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $996
    Who can stop Paul Reed? That's my question. He destroyed us last go around. Long athletic bigs have proven to beat us time after time.

That and we can't let them shoot 10-17 from 3 again this game (which has been our weakness as of late).

cornette33 and Tentozen like this.