Jared Grubbs

Butler Bulldogs (2-0) at Maryland Terrapins (2-0) - 11/15

Jared Grubbs, Nov 14, 2017

Settled
  1. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,097
    I'm sorry you are right he did make a three. Do you think a block and a three is sufficient production?

bumba and jkcdawgs like this.
  2. harvesting

harvesting Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $305
    Would it matter if he had 15 points? Would you have anything good to say about that? Clearly I'm not a fan of the player bashing I don't think Fowler earned any more bashing than some of the others. And while your quick to point out the bad your praise is reserved for a select few...for what that's even worth.

3. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,512
    Your Wideman comment about being lost is inaccurate, though I can see why you would say that. Specifically on defense.

When you play a high hedging man to man like we do a majority of the time, the defender whose man goes to set the screen has to commit to being high, which opens up his guy to peeling off inside after the screen. The issue was we needed a third player from the weakside to rotate down and disrupt or slow up the pass/lob to the screener. In the first half, this third player never made it into the picture. You can tell Vall was harping on this at halftime, because the 1st time they did it in the 2nd half, Thompson dove hard from the weakside to help, but was a tad late and got called for a foul. However, we still sucked at it the rest of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

4. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,652
    I think it is now clear how valuable Chrabascz was.

5. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,292
    No one is miserable. There is general frustration with some of us who have watched BU for a long time that this player is used incorrectly/isn't ready as a Junior.

Part of that is on the player. His body hasn't exactly improved to be physically ready for high major basketball. His footwork is slightly better than last year, but his defense in the lane is average. He fouls consistently to compensate.

Part is on the staff because they (both Holt & LJ) haven't made him a priority in the offense. He's accurate when shooting close to the goal....but they never set him up in the post. I don't care if he can hit 3's or not. That isn't what most teams need from a 5.

This is the same conversation we had after the NC & Virginia tournament games. We know what Fowler brings to the court. We don't know what Brunk can. Give Brunk more minutes and see if he can make the same impact that Thompson did.

6. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,707
    I was going to post something about how important it was for Andrew to help facilitate the offense. I just cringe when Wideman or Fowler have the ball i their hands looking to pass. Never felt that way with Chrabascz. LaVall and Lowery need to coach them up, as our facilitators are clearly having a tough time getting any ball movement to swing it around and create space. It also does not help when your bigs are clear of the paint for most of the game.

7. Gregory Roach

Gregory Roach Well-Known Member

Money:
    $762
    Point taken, good observation. What about Wideman's zero contribution on offense in first half?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Butler Hoops mobile app

8. Gregory Roach

Money:
    $762
    One other observation. Christian David is wearing a knee brace on right leg. Anyone know what happened?[​IMG]

9. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,248
    David tore his ACL in high school

UDDawg likes this.
  10. Gregory Roach

Money:
    $762
    I am not sure if FS-1 covered it, but the student banner unfurling that occurs at first time-out in second half was awesome. Here is a still image. [​IMG]

11. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member VIP Member

Money:
    $20,109
    Wideman isn’t really a primary scoring option. His scoring should come mainly on finishing what others create for him or on offensive rebounds. I don’t want him creating his own shot very much. He didn’t score a lot this game because there was no movement on offense to free him up. When the offense is going 1 on 1 and forcing a shot there is no defensive rotation that gives Wideman chances to free himself up either to receive a pass or to crash the boards.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

12. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,512
    That is a fair criticism, but scoring is really not his role. I think the biggest gripe I have is why he didn't hit the offensive glass harder.

13. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,283
    Admittedly I️ was distracted, but we weren’t hedging hard to start the game yesterday. That strategy is not nearly as popular as it once was. The game caught up to it.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

14. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,097
    I expect Fowler and Wideman combined to have a big game Saturday.

15. bd5

bd5 Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $3,289
    I've spared myself the misery of reading through the entirety of this thread, but the first true road test of the season being at a very talented Maryland (where it's already very difficult to play) shouldn't be over-analyzed. Offensive ball movement was atrocious, defensive positioning and close outs were poor, but Butler created 20 turnovers and hung around the entire game.

Definitely not a game to celebrate and would have expected some adjustments from the coaching staff to organize the offense in the second half, but it's very early in the season with a brand new coaching staff on a true road game in a very tough venue.

Was glad to see Brunk get some early minutes, but ultimately agree that he should see more minutes.

ThePioneerLeague and jarik like this.
  16. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,691
    I was going to say the same. I thought we didn't hedge hard enough in the first enough, which left Huerter and his gangly 6'7" frame with plenty of room to pass over the defender for an easy lob. If you hedge hard, essentially impeding the movement of the ball handler and forcing him away from the basket, you can at least make said lobs a bit more difficult to execute (the Miami Heat used to frustrate the Pacers several years ago during their playoff battles with this). I thought Maryland also did a great job creating these pick-and-roll opportunities near the elbows. I wish I had the time to go back and break down the film, but if I remember correctly, they would often run Huerter around a screen off-ball, pass it to him near the elbow, and then their C would set up an on-ball pick-and-roll at the elbow. The primary defender was still struggling to get around the off-ball screen, making it difficult for him to roll with the C (also almost a foot taller than Baldwin/Thompson, making it even more difficult to defend the lob) while Fowler/Wideman were hedging/picking up Huerter. Maryland snagged an easy ~10 points with this movement before we were able to adjust. I do agree that the weak side rotation could have been better, though, at least in the first half.

I watch a lot of NBA basketball, where the pick-and-roll is run by nearly every team. Many teams are now defending "middle" pick-and-rolls by what is termed "weaking." Essentially, the on-ball defender, playing near the top of the key, is alerted that a player is coming to set a screen on a particular side. That defender then immediately jumps to the hip of the ball handler on that same side, attempting to impede any movement towards the screener to prevent setting up the pick-and-roll. I saw Maryland do this several times last night. I don't think that is primarily why our pick-and-roll offense (we've been a poor on-ball screening team since at least the Brandon Miller "era") was so poor, but it was part of it.

Here's a video showing a very similar technique, albeit on the wing (they refer to it as "icing"):

17. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,691
    What do UNC, Virginia, and Maryland all have in common? They have/had front court players with elite size and athleticism. I don't understand why it is such a shock, but Fowler will never matchup well against those types of players. He simply doesn't have the physical gifts. There are limits to athletic improvement, and where you finish is largely impacted by where you started. Fowler will never be DeAndre Jordan, no matter how many footwork drills he does.

I do agree with you that we didn't look for him enough yesterday.

I would love for Brunk to have a huge impact this year, but I'm just not sure he's ready. The coaches have seen him play for several months now, and they must have some reservations, too, considering that he's getting only a few minutes of game time even when we are struggling in the front court.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  18. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,550
    I’m concerned about David. I understand he had a gruesome injury but him not playing makes me wonder whether that injury permanently set him back. This was a top 100 player coming to a team that was ideally suited to him getting immediate playing time. Did him to not get any minutes is baffling. Unless the injury is lingering (which would be concerning) I think he should be at least getting 12-15 minutes a game.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

dippper61 and UDDawg like this.
  19. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,809
    It's unreasonable to expect perfection this early but it would have taken play closer to that to pull this game out. We ran into a buzz-saw but we played into their hands. Hopefully the staff can convince KB and KM that they have other options besides going it alone. They will continue to be the main focus for opposition defenses. Being selfish helps the defense and makes you easy to guard. Trust your teammates. I think everyone realized how valuable AC was last season and that was magnified last night. Effort was not the issue against Maryland. Basketball IQ was. I do think JB could have played more, if for nothing other than gaining valuable experience. One bright note was the charity line where BU was perfect. Too bad BU didn't get there a few more times. HB played reasonably well in his limited time and AT had a decent floor game. Watch the film. Improve offensive spacing, know your limitations, and play to your strengths. Learn and move forward. Furman will pose a challenge.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  20. dawgman

dawgman Active Member

Money:
    $212
    I think we pretty much knew this group would be a bubble team and that was proven last night. Defense will improve and not every team will shoot like Maryland did last night. Our continuing problem will be scoring the basketball. When you turn an opponent over 19 times and can't capitalize, you're in trouble.