Butler Bulldogs (21-9, 9-8 conf.) vs. Xavier (19-11, 8-9 conf.), March 7

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by bmradio99, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,324
    I liked the final call from Thom Brennaman, but other than that, didn't care for him much.

Never seemed to really look at the foul disparity (although maybe I missed his one comment that others pointed out), Smits got elbowed near the face from Jones and didn't even mention it (no replays either?), made some comment like "Butler may have gotten away with one".

Also seemed like he had never seen Kamar Baldwin play before. Like dude he's been around 4 years, he's not a freshman. He's a Top 4 player in the conference.

I feel like commentators tend to side with either A) the home crowd or B) the underdog if it's close. In this case, it was both. The fact that Brennaman has obvious Cincinnati roots probably made him much more pro-Xavier--all things considered.

Tentozen and joliebeth23 like this.
  2. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,106
    Doesn't bother me as long as the zebras don't catch it and consider it taunting. I remember growing up and the things UNLV/Puke/Fab Five got away with taunting wise. It was great theatre. Now a days you as much as look at someone odds are you are T'd up. That's dumb. But, it is. So while I enjoyed it, I was just praying the ref didn't see it.

dippper61 likes this.
  3. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,324
    I don't have a problem with Thompson waving to the crowd.

If they can dish it out, they should be able to take it too.

It's not like he was flipping them off or yelling obscenities or something.

It's a pretty good flex without crossing the line.

NateDog, bwesson15, huss587 and 5 others like this.
  4. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,254
    Someone else made mention of it. I have never seen a team a team called for rebounding fouls on opponent's made baskets like I've seen called on us this year. We survived a 4 point trip and a 5 point play last night. These calls blow my mind every time they happen.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Butler Hoops mobile app

NateDog, bwesson15, dippper61 and 4 others like this.
  5. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $3,678
    Especially because every time Jones got boxed out he flailed back like a puss.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

6. Bernie44

Bernie44 Member

Money:
    $137
    We have been called for it because our blocking out technique is terrible. We turn our backs to the basket (and to the ball/rebound) and just start pushing our opponent out of the lane. Refs look at that and feel obligated to call it because it is so blatant. I wish our staff could coach them out of that!

7. DawgsMD

Money:
    $3,678
    Just read the Xavier message board game thread from last night. Fire Steele chants all around. Sounds similar after we lose, but glorious to read nonetheless

huss587, ButlerNut and joliebeth23 like this.
  8. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,001
    That's why they shut the board down, lots of nasty calls to get rid of him.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Butler Hoops mobile app

joliebeth23 likes this.
  9. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,631
    Totally agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

Insane Dawg and godogs91 like this.
  10. BURph92

Money:
    $1,631
    It really was quite a regular season. I mean the O/U for total regular season Butler wins was 15.5 at Westgate last fall. We all know Butler was picked 8th in the BE but they weren’t even close to 7th. BUT/STJ/DEP were clearly the bottom 3. When you play a long season in a top notch conference you’re going to have some ups & downs. This has been true of every BE team. Really proud of the way this team has exceeded expectations, overcome numerous injuries, responded these last 3 games, & provided so many enjoyable moments for us this year. Hopefully a few more to come.

GoodDawgs, BulldogsFTW, tlp63 and 8 others like this.
  11. DawgsMD

Money:
    $3,678
    BUT clearly in bottom 3? Typo?

12. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,959
    He's talking preseason.

2xDawg and DawgsMD like this.
  13. BURph92

Money:
    $1,631
    In the preseason predictions.

DawgsMD likes this.
  14. Robinzine Crying

Robinzine Crying Active Member

Money:
    $341
    It's also interesting to see how calm he is once he receives the inbound on the last play. A lot of guys go a million miles an hour in that situation and dribble into trouble. Impressive to have the presence of mind to read the screen and take what they give you.

DawgFan, bmradio99, BoyGeoff and 5 others like this.
  15. brian35

brian35 Member

Money:
    $28
    There were clearly a number of Butler fans at the game last night. There were four of us in Section 116 (corner opposite Butler bench) and there were Butler fans all around in our general area. It likely wasn't heard on the FS1 broadcast but very late in the game Butler fans started yelling "DEFENSE" and it was loud and drew the attention of X fans in that area. I also believe that the Butler players were aware of the BU fans. I'm not sure if Thompson's wave towards the crowd might have been an acknowledgement of the BU fans. Either way, an excellent win in very difficult environment.

16. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,240
    Very impressed by the team to get to 10-8. They went through their struggles. They had a favorable schedule down the stretch but to end on a win on the road was great.

17. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,808
    Reminded me of this

Both were so calm and knew exactly where they wanted to get on the floor.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    jeff, huss587, ButlerNut and 3 others like this.
  18. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,308
    Could just as easily been 13-5. Always special when we beat Xavier twice in the same year.

19. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,106
    Good Christ...I was yet a pup back then. 12+ years later I'm old, grey, fat and over half dead. But damn, those teams in the mid-late 2000s were such a good time. I remember having to go to a BWs in North Mississippi and dropping a 10/20 spot to get the bartender to let me have the remote and find butler games on "full court". Memories.

20. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,325
    I couldn't click on the picture to get to the video. Had to search for a while to find it. It's hard to make it go viral if no one knows where to find it.

If anyone wants it, here's the link: