Butler Bulldogs (22-10) at Texas Longhorns (20-13) - 3/19

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Jared Grubbs, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,957
  2. JMCBigWayne

JMCBigWayne Active Member

Money:
    $103
    Saw one site say Butler a 1 point dog against Texas

3. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,454
    Opening line in Vegas is a pick 'em between Butler and Texas.

4. adktexas

adktexas New Member

Money:
    $5
    In a few days my team is leading off the ncaa tournament. Normally at this time I would be a nervous wreck. But I am not. I know We are going to defeat Butler tonight in a way that the last 10 minutes I will be relaxed. The season we have had will not allow us to lose this game. Now come Saturday vs Notre Dame, I will be back to my normal nail biting self. Sweet 16 on the line, how could I not be.

I am not sure why I am so confident. Maybe it's because I know Marquette handed that game to Butler. They were up late and went to the out house. Maybe because Butlers BIG wins are questionable. No Jordan for St. John’s, Providence ending was dicey to say the least.

But i think the majority of my confidence in tonights game is simply we are just to great a team to lose this game to this team tonight. lets freakin' go horns. Our destiny is in Indianapolis.

5. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    Jared Grubbs @ButlerWay · 56m 56 minutes ago
    Good thing about the Texas matchup is the only thing Texas does really well offensively is rebound. Butler excels at countering that.

6. ThaddeusB

ThaddeusB Active Member

Money:
    $5,482
    Jones' play will be key. Texas has a monster 2-pt defense (#1 in country by %, #1 in blocks). If Jones tries to win the game on drives, it will be a nightmare. On the other hand, they don't turn opponents over at all (3rd lowest TO rate in division 1) and give up a lot of 3s. In other words, ball movement kills them. On offense, they are quite mediocre in everything but rebounding. They also turn it over a lot. Pace should be slow and with two great defenses, scoring should also be low. Expect a game in the 50s.

The other plus is Barnes is a terrible coach and has one of the worst NCAA tournament records of any active coach. I expect them to not be well prepared. As long as Holtmann has a good game plan (tell Jones not to shoot!), I think we win it. Barlow should have a huge game (steals and 3s).

7. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,984
    Well played adktexas. You've done your homework.

8. pitstop007

pitstop007 Member

Money:
    $6
    Obviously adktexas doesn't know that Butler is located in Indianapolis and has played in the Final Four in Indianapolis.

9. readyletsgo

readyletsgo Active Member

Money:
    $501
    This is my favorite thing OF ALL TIME!

10. readyletsgo

Money:
    $501
    This is a very good thing, but the matchup against their shotblocking defense has me very nervous. Need Jones to make excellent decisions on his drives if we want to advance..

11. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,957
    I just hope Jones is hitting his floaters. They will be there. The scoop shot will not.

12. readyletsgo

Money:
    $501
    Very true, haven't seen as many floaters lately. He seems to hit more of those than scoops.

13. Doctor Tobias Funke

Doctor Tobias Funke Active Member

Money:
    $81
    LOL! I give you an A-

My only beef is that you should have said no Turner for St. Johns. The fact that we did not play against Evan Turner this entire season is a huge dig against us. Did we even deserve to make the tournament? I honestly don't know what the committee was thinking.

14. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,984
    What we need is some Bobby Thong lookalikes. That would guarantee a win.

15. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,957
    Looks like tip off will be around 3pm on CBS. Notre Dame game is before us at 12:15 and Butler will follow.

16. jimmychitwood

jimmychitwood Member

Money:
    $5
    Wow that's a huge buzzkill. Hoping for some OT I guess.

17. InTheDawgHouse

InTheDawgHouse New Member

Money:
    $5
    At first I was scared of the size and athleticism of UT...but then I remembered they are coached by Rick Barnes. Think we match up well as they are a worse UNC. Go Dawgs!

18. Doctor Tobias Funke

Doctor Tobias Funke Active Member

Money:
    $81
    Not much respect from UT fans that I have seen so far. Makes me feel more confident of a victory.

19. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,032
    I am not a fan of this matchup at all.

However, as my hip, young friends might say..."it's March, Butler gonna Butler."

20. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,739
    We could have done better, as their talent is big and very real. But, they are what they are. An underachieving team coached by a dude that has very much pooped the bed in March. Having ND as the 3 is kinda cool if we can get by Texas. But Texas won't roll over. Their size will cause us a problems and Lord willing, we'll be hitting from deep.

I don't know what it will take, because it's never happened to this point...but Holtmann needs to sit Rose down and convince him to be a decoy. Him going into those trees ain't gonna work. BUT, Texas will play to collapse on him (give him room up top, collapse as he penetrates) and others will be open. In this particular matchup, he has to realize he needs to be a distributor vs a scorer. I'm not sure how to hammer that into his head enough to where he'll actually act on it, but if he will, we will win.