Butler Bulldogs (22-10) vs Virginia Cavaliers (27-7) - 3/19

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Jared Grubbs, Mar 17, 2016.

1. jeff

jeff Well-Known Member

Money:
    $328
    You should of reminded who ever it was who picked them for the All Big East Teams.

2. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,650
    One problem having Tyler Lewis with this compliment of players is what do you do with Jones on the floor. Tyler will be fine next year with Wideman, Chrabs, Martin and Savage which is a better compliment for him.

3. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,002
    Lol **** xavier!!

4. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,002
    Lol. The Big East POY was in no way a "complete" player. As talented as Dunn is, he has no shot.

5. I like turtles

I like turtles Active Member

Money:
    $388
    You can stand by you comments. It doesn't mean they aren't objectively stupid.

6. Bulldawg

Bulldawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $590
    How are they stupid? You aren't listening to what I'm saying you're just not wanting to listen because it's against the tide and it's not "correct" to say it. Rose and Kellen were good Big East players. They won't ever be considered great to me because they aren't the type of star player you want to build around and hurt us in a lot of ways worh matchups. If we are going to win consistently we need complete players and I think a guy like Kelan is a good start. Next year's recruiting class should also help a lot too.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Butler Hoops mobile app

7. Bulldawg

Bulldawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $590
    Good Big East players can make the all big East teams...besides the whole selection process for those teams is a joke. A guy like Bluiett wasn't a first teamer, but they had to pick somebody from Xavier. Arcidiacono was POY last year for crying out loud.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Butler Hoops mobile app

8. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,043
    Something I thought about last night:

Butler has now lost in the round of 32 three out of the last four years. In each one of those three games, Butler led by five or more at some point in the second half.

Highlights the heartbreak factor we've had the last few years. But it's also amazing how with a few bounces differently here or there, we're celebrating our fifth sweet 16 in 7 years. (Of course, a few bounces differently in 2010 or 2011 and we haven't seen a sweet 16 since 2003.) Just the way it goes. I'll take some good breaks in 10-11 for a few bad ones the last few years.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  9. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,650
    Can't take any possessions off- ask NIU about that. We all rave about how good the 2009 Butler team was and they were but they could have and maybe should have been knocked out by one play in the dance. Murray State could have been the end of the season.

10. ndfan1993

ndfan1993 Active Member

Money:
    $6
    What tournament is NIU playing in? Did I miss something?

11. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,043
    No doubt. Honestly, I always thought that 2013 team could have made a really deep run. We had a ton of good pieces there. Two sharpshooters (one of them really high volume - Clarke). A legit big man. Multiple seniors. Several good defenders (Marshall, Barlow, Jones). That team was better than the 2011 team. Yet it went home on the first weekend. Had Marquette down 9 and squandered a close one. They hit huge shots. Just the way it goes. Always good to keep everything in perspective. Getting into the tournament and having a second-round opportunity against a great team is about all you can ask for. You just hope the team plays hard (we did) and generally well (we did) and catches a few breaks (we did not).

12. ndfan1993

ndfan1993 Active Member

Money:
    $6
    That was a match-up that should have never happened.

13. godogs91

godogs91 Active Member

Money:
    $3,168
    I'm so glad I don't even look at this board during games...I think I would have gotten seasick during the swing of the second half.

First, congratulations to UVa. They were the better team, and proved so in the second half. Our defense was very good in the first half, holding them to .794 ppp. Bennett made some great personnel decisions in the second half, and we just didn't have the depth to adapt. Our offense was just as efficient as the TT game, but we ran into a Wahoo buzzsaw. To have a team shoot 73% for a half, and still be in the game coming down the stretch was very unique. Our performance at the offensive end was the best against them since UNC back in late February, and overall one of the 5 or 6 best offensive performances against them all season. Brogdon and Gill are in KenPom's top 10 for POY, and they showed it Saturday. The fact that Brogdon can do what he does at both ends of the floor is truly special.

I'm proud to be a Bulldog, and proud of what these guys have done this season. It was filled with peaks and valleys that made some games more interesting than they needed to be, but that's ok. This team also had to deal with adversity that at times made me wonder how in the world they did it. I thank the seniors for all of their efforts over their careers, and look forward to seeing what the 2016-17 edition of Butler Basketball has to offer.

14. Huntin'Dawg

Huntin'Dawg Member

Money:
    $39
    2013 wasn't Steven's best coached team. Way too much emphasis on getting Clarke open and little emphasis on ball movement. Our offense did a lot of standing around. Saint Louis spanked us 3 times easily and VCU humiliated us. Finally we couldn't keep a lead against Marquette and executed very poorly toward the end of that game. Brad appeared to loose the eye of the tiger.

15. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,650
    He didn't suffer for it.

16. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,957
    I still haven't gotten over that over the back call on Woods in that Marquette game.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

17. readyletsgo

readyletsgo Active Member

Money:
    $501
    Yeah, Davidson blew that game. They had Marquette beat and went to the outhouse.

18. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $975
    Look at last yr. northeastern blew the gm against Norte dame. Could of got to the sweet16 in 2013 and last yr and this yr. too bad cause that would of been even better for the program

19. butlerdude05

butlerdude05 Active Member

Money:
    $4,608
    I remember being so Damn pissed watching that happen right in front of us.I knew marquette was a bad matchup. And then watching us piss it away against marquette too.

Still wouldn't trade for some favorable bounces in the last few years for some unfavorable ones during the championship runs.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Butler Hoops mobile app

20. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    Grace!?!? She died 30 years ago!