Butler Bulldogs (22-10) vs Virginia Cavaliers (27-7) - 3/19

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Jared Grubbs, Mar 17, 2016.

1. troggy

troggy Active Member

Money:
    $596
    Marquette also got a free time-out at the end of that game to draw up a play, while the refs went and looked at the monitor for something.

2. readyletsgo

readyletsgo Active Member

Money:
    $501
    Butler was way more competitive with Virginia than Iowa State was tonight. FWIW

3. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,049
    Considering Virginia is the best team in hoops I'm very happy with how we fought them. Had them on the ropes.

They're going to win the title.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,653
    Iowa State sure looked over rated.

5. Coach

Coach New Member

Money:
    $5
    We fought UVA tooth and nail for 37 minutes. Just think, they had to have an unbelievable shooting percentage of 73% to beat us. In hindsight, we are much better than what most give us credit for.

6. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,493
    I agree with the part on Butler "potentially" being much better than we were and where we ended up. No one, including VA, will shoot 73% from the field without the defense being absolutely horrible. The fricking middle was so wide open every VA possession all you have to do is look at that shot chart and see why they did shoot 73%. It's almost like we cleared the lane intentionally. But a lot of it was great coaching by Bennett. The only answer I saw from our coaching staff was, predictably, subbing Etherington for Wideman.

In the 33rd game of the season, EVERYONE knew our defense sucked. Would have thought that over the course of the season the coaching staff would have made some significant adjustments to minimize that glaring weakness. And not just Etherington for Wideman. At least make them beat you from outside. I was really concerned coming in to this season that our rebounding and defense was a problem area. Going in to next season, my biggest concern is who the hell is coaching these guys (fundamentals) and game planning.

You go TRUESTORY. Preach it like it is. By the way, Kellen Dunham finishing 3rd on the all-time 3-point list for Butler, with the minutes he played, is a sin. Think we really maximized Kellen's shooting skills going with "hero" ball?

7. 740OHIOBulldog

740OHIOBulldog Active Member

Money:
    $1,445
    Virginia won't beat Syracuse, they are going to play a zone like we SHOULD of in the 2nd half.

8. bulldogs51

bulldogs51 Active Member

Money:
    $170
    I am shocked that Syracuse will play a zone. Wait, they could schedule any team in the country guess what d they play. It will muddy up their motion offense, but they will still move the ball use the shot clock and get good shots. Their defense and pace of play will push them over the top.
    VA by 8+.
    Sent from my NX785QC8G using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  9. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,049
    Virginia will win by double digits.

10. Bulldawg

Bulldawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $590
    The zone only works against teams that haven't played Syracuse that often or know their style of play well. UVA will already have the zone scouted well since they already beat Cuse

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Butler Hoops mobile app

11. Coach

Coach New Member

Money:
    $5
    That's all Syracuse plays. Syracuse will play zone no matter the score. That being said, I see UVA with the win. Just think, two of our losses came to potential final four teams

12. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,653
    Butler will have lost three games to the team's in the Final Four if Virginia wins.

13. Coach

Coach New Member

Money:
    $5
    Correct, 2 to Nova and 1 to UVa

14. 740OHIOBulldog

Money:
    $1,445
    Shoulda zoned Virginia.

15. 740OHIOBulldog

Money:
    $1,445
    But Virginia had the game won and went to the outhouse the last 8 minutes.

16. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,653
    Brain freeze again by Bennett. Deliberate offense hurt them in the last two minutes.

17. adkIrish

adkIrish New Member

Money:
    $5
    I'm biting nails...final four on the line, my worst fear is that we have this game won late and go to the outhouse! and of course the fact that we have no Turner.

18. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,653
    Is Tony Bennett coaching ND tonight as well?

19. adkCavalier

adkCavalier New Member

Money:
    $5
    We went to the outhouse.

20. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,653
    Can't believe how Tony went into glide mode like he was watching a movie. Afterwards he was so glib. May be a great coach but no fire in that belly.