Jared Grubbs

Butler Bulldogs (24-8) vs Middle Tennessee State Blue Raiders (31-4) - 3/18

Jared Grubbs, Mar 16, 2017

Settled
  1. KB3

KB3 Member

Money:
    $126
    This is a great feeling. I'm most happy for Andrew Chrabascz though. He stuck with this program when many others would have bolted. Now he's got at worst a Sweet 16 to show for it.

2. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,653
    Yea back when IU was a blue blood. The game has changed.

BEastDawgs likes this.
  3. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,653
    Five Sweet 16 this century and under three different coaches! That's amazing!

4. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,531
    It took a couple of trips to solve the 1-3-1 but we did. We knocked down shots early. We did match their grit. They chucked up some ill advised treys and came up empty. BUs guard play was superior. The team controlled the pace for most of the game although we did get rushed a few times in the second half. Game, set, and match.

joliebeth23 likes this.
  5. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,002
    I would have completely lost my **** if Butler had taken as many terrible long 2s as MTSU.

Even my gf, who doesn't like basketball and knows nothing about the game, turns to me and goes, "why won't they drive in closer or just shoot a 3?"

Kermit Davis allowed that. Massively out-coached by Holtmann Willis :)

joliebeth23 and ButlerHomer like this.
  6. BUStudent

BUStudent Active Member

Money:
    $143
    I'm sure he's a great coach. Hard for MTSU to get where they did 2x in a row. But his rotations and pulling a player the SECOND they make a mistake didn't allow them to find any sort of rhythm.

7. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,531
    Basketball IQ... They negated any advantage they might have had by chucking up 3s instead of going inside to score. Granted we made that difficult but personally I counted on them jacking up shots you an get anytime.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    joliebeth23 and PSUButlerFan like this.
  8. wazthree

wazthree Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,917
    Josh Hart was their downfall. Two awful possessions in the final two minutes, where he turned it over and didn't even get a shot.

I'll be honest, he is a great player, but always found him quite the crybaby. Every time a call didn't go his way, he would get a "no way" face going.

I think Brunson is the better player, very humble and also quite the free throw shooter (hart seemed to miss in key times versus us).

They will be really tough again next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

joliebeth23 and huss587 like this.
  9. wazthree

wazthree Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,917
    What is your point? Vandy beat Florida 2x, 1x in Gainesville.

Mtsu also lost to Tennessee St. (?!?) not even the best "state" team in Tennessee. AND UTEP and GEORGIA St.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

joliebeth23 likes this.
  10. chc3

chc3 Active Member

Money:
    $152
    Thanks for posting link... BTW, Really liked the remarks, especially Coach Holtmann's about the lack of respect from unnamed commentators...

#60, joliebeth23 and steve like this.
  11. JMCBigWayne

JMCBigWayne Active Member

Money:
    $102
    This should probably go on the stupid " who will Butler's next coach be" thread but after this win and Holtmann's success I thought I'd pose the question here. Unless money is your main reason for leaving then more power to you why would anyone that doesn't have direct ties to the program (e.g. Alford) leave a Power 5 or Big East job to take the IU job? If you're Holtmann you can get paid very well, play in a top 5 league, have a recruiting class of Top 100 recruits and not have the unrealistic pressure from rabid fans to go to the Final 4 every year. Holtmann could miss the tournament and while we'd be upset and dissatisfied we wouldn't immediately be calling for his head.

I understand if you are Gregg Marshall, or Archie Miller in smaller conference or have ties like Alford why you'd want to leave but I don't have any idea why you'd leave if you're Holtmann, Chris Mack or Tony Bennett or any other coach that has a job in the top half of a power 5/Big East conference

joliebeth23 likes this.
  12. BUStudent

BUStudent Active Member

Money:
    $143
    Hart is the heart of the team. Similar to what Rose was to an extent-- although they have significantly more talent surrounding him. I agree trying to go against Hayes AND Happ on a drive was a bad decision but if it was me i'd rather live or die in the hands of the POY candidate.

I honestly think Jenkins was more of the problem, especially early on. He threw up some AWFUL shots and tried to take over the game even though he was 0/5. He was essentially "Bad Martin" from january.

joliebeth23 likes this.
  13. ThePioneerLeague

ThePioneerLeague Active Member

Money:
    $387
    Agree completely, although Hart was bad down the stretch, Kris Jenkins was AWFUL in both tourney games from start to finish. His shot selection was putrid...I actually couldn't believe some of the shots he chucked up. Nova wasn't repeating - regardless of who they played - with Jenkins sucking like he did.

joliebeth23 likes this.
  14. BUStudent

BUStudent Active Member

Money:
    $143
    4/22 FG, 0/8 3PT in the tourney. Yikes.

15. bu1973

bu1973 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $537
    My son and I were discussing yesterday whether if you could only choose to start a college team, would you take Brunson or Hart. I was still sorry to see them get beat so early.

joliebeth23 likes this.
  16. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,506
    Don't sell us short. You did see our "Has Holt Lost The Team" thread, right?

BulldogsFTW, jarik, Dawgs2018 and 8 others like this.
  17. teamwork123

teamwork123 Member

Money:
    $50
    Happy for all the Dawgs but especially happy for Tyler Lewis who has been so patient in his time here at Butler. Being the only McDonalds All American to play here at Butler he could have went to A lot of places but he chose to stay here at Butler. Excuses for KM because he was cold coming off the bench evidently to some didn't apply to Tyler but he came through in the most important time. He is a dedicated kid and deserves all the credit he gets. We wouldn't be in the sweet 16 without his outstanding play throughout this tourney. Thank you Tyler for being patient and sticking with our program. Good Luck Dawgs !!

jarik, Tark43, DawgFan and 9 others like this.
  18. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,506
    I'm not quite sure how to interpret this given the poor syntax, but Kelan was 6-9 from the field last night (including 3-6 from deep) and 4-4 at the line.

I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiment regarding Tyler Lewis, though. He's played well in the two tournament games, dishing out 12 assists to only 1 turnover. He's been nothing but professional and (seemingly) selfless and appears happy to help the team in any capacity, be it starting or coming off the bench. I know he hasn't quite been the player we hoped he would be, but I think that's more a symptom of our outsized expectations than the quality of his play. He's a great kid and I'm happy he's here.

19. znelson15

znelson15 Active Member

Money:
    $364
    I could write so many great things about this team and how incredibly happy I am for this team, coaches, and fans
    Plus they got to the sweet sixteen on my bday weekend
    This team has achieved so much considering we were all hoping we could just make the tournament at the beginning of the year and some thinking for sure it would just be a down year for us. Incredible work by everyone
    Now for another weekend of basketball!!!!!!!!!

DawgPoundMac and joliebeth23 like this.
  20. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $575
    Went through the entire thread....A few random thoughts.....MTSU is better than a 12 seed, but saying they're Top 25 is pushing it. Maybe 35, but not 25....You can only play however the bracket shakes out, but we got a break not playing a true five seed, like ,say, Iowa St. Not saying ISU would have beaten us, but they would have provided a stiffer test.....Surprised there was no mention of Holt not getting Fowler out when he picked up his 4th foul. That's a pretty standard move and it came back to bite us because he picked up #5 maybe 30 seconds later......Impressive performance by KM, considering the back spasms he's evidently experiencing......On to Memphis. We will have to play better, but that's pretty much true for most--if not all--the teams who advance to play during the second week.

thespianrunner likes this.