Jared Grubbs

Butler Bulldogs (24-8) vs Middle Tennessee State Blue Raiders (31-4) - 3/18

Jared Grubbs, Mar 16, 2017

Settled
  1. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,186
    I think he is EXACTLY the player we hoped he would be. He was a ROCK of a point guard when we lost Alex Barlow. He is the epitome of a team player. He exemplifies the Butler Way in everything he does. He went from starter to bench his senior year and didn't complain once. Give me 100 Tyler Lewis's please!

2. joliebeth23

joliebeth23 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,228
    Had a great time yesterday watching the game at the South Point with three other Butler alums. We were delighting in people at other tables around us being upset because they had bet against Butler.

jarik, jeff and ButlerNut like this.
  3. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,653
    Seems like the offense stagnated when Lewis is not out there. Full court pressure doesn't phase him. Defensively he seems to be doing OK- I don't recall his man scoring much on him. I think we are going to miss him a lot next year.

4. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,475
    With due respect, this is highly inaccurate. Smith was a 25-30 minute per game starter for most of his sophomore year & was our go to guy inside when Matt Howard used to get in foul trouble.

Nate has lots of potential - and even more work to do to actually get there. I hope there's a healthy competition between him and Brunk next year for the 5.

joliebeth23 likes this.
  5. bu1973

bu1973 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $537
    ON Fowler's fifth. It looked like assistant gave Coach the word but the play had already started and it was on that possession Fowler got his fifth

6. bu1973

bu1973 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $537
    An assistant coach gave Coach the info on the fourth foul but the play had already started and the fifth foul was on that trip down the floor.

joliebeth23 likes this.
  7. bu1973

bu1973 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $537
    For the record, the double posting is not a sign of early onset dementia or that my fingers stutter, it just took several minutes for my first post to show up and I thought it so witty I wanted to make sure I shared the thought with the world.

troggy and jeff like this.
  8. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,002
    JMCBigWayne - It is my distinct pleasure to introduce you to our board's resident insane degenerate gambler, Mr. WillisBrown.

JMCBigWayne likes this.
  9. Tiles52

Tiles52 Active Member

Money:
    $411
    Regarding Fowler; that is correct, they had somebody at the scorer's table to come in for him, but as others have said, the play had already started.

#60 Active Member

Money:
    $1,242
    The game's announcers said that Wideman was waiting at the scorer's table to check in for Fowler when he made his 5th foul.

11. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $575
    The refs yesterday were allowing people to check in very late throughout the game. They were ready to hand the ball to the inbounder and if they saw a guy running to the scorer's table, they would stop. The PA announcer said it was his 4th foul. I was screaming to get him out of there. The kid attracts fouls like flies to you know what, so I'm not sure how it could have surprised them how many he had, but, even if they hadn't, they still had time to sub for him.

#60 Active Member

Money:
    $1,242
    While watching the game, after Fowler committed a foul on the offensive end, the camera briefly showed Holtmann getting up to shout something to the team about the defense. Terry Johnson was patting him on the arm as Holt was shouting to the players. Holt looked back at TJ & Terry was holding up 4 fingers & saying, "He (Fowler) has 4!" Holt started to move toward Wideman, then the camera cut to game action. Around this time, the announcer talked about Fowler being in foul trouble & noted that Wideman was waiting at the scorer's table, ostensibly to check in. And during that play, the "foul flies" swarmed Fowler & he was gone.

13. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,493
    I'm too lazy to go back and read 28 pages but I hope someone has already complained about the announcers. All that gushing on the supposed underdog become a little nauseating after a while. They certainly were wishing and hoping for a MTSU victory.....to go right along with those sure-fire studio predictions. The Dawgs were pretty much in control of the game from start to finish. And they still didn't play their best game. Pretty good help defense. Staying at home when called for and fighting through picks. MTSU really picked apart MN on Thursday. That was my fear, but I think this was one of their best defensive efforts of the season. I bet Giddy Potts would agree.

joliebeth23 likes this.
  14. Doctor Tobias Funke

Doctor Tobias Funke Active Member

Money:
    $81
    I was watching with my brother and step-father and we mocked the announcers relentlessly. Everything was about MTSU. We take a lead? MTSU is off to a slow start. MTSU comes back? Here they are showing their expected flashes of brilliance. Did MTSU have an opponent yesterday? Who knows. All I know is that MTSU played and lost to somebody.

It seriously got to the point where I was shouting MTSUUUUUUU when Butler took a three.

thevinrod and joliebeth23 like this.
  15. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $2,294
    Sounds like a good thing the bar I was at had it muted haha. However I did catch some of the captions - I believe at one point when MTSU was down 12 or so and cut the lead to 7, yes, 7, a five point swing, the announcer said "MTSU has caught fire and are back in it."
    Smh

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

joliebeth23 likes this.
  16. gmoser1210

gmoser1210 Active Member

Money:
    $295
    We are a school of ~4,600 students playing a team from a school of ~22,000 students so obviously a much larger alumni base. Plus, the announcers were trying to keep the audience interested in a game between two non-blue-bloods where the higher seed had the lead the entire time. They were trying to keep it interesting. It's obviously annoying for us but it's not surprising at all.

RegionTownDawg and joliebeth23 like this.
  17. BU_Moxy

BU_Moxy Active Member

Money:
    $173
    You are correct that Smith got more court time but more minutes does not mean better. He played 24 minutes a game and averaged 8.5 points and 5.6 rebounds per game in the Horizon League.

Fowler plays 12 minutes and averages 5.4 points and 2.1 rebounds in the Big East. Per 40 minutes the stats are similar BUT Fowler is playing against better competition.

Plenty of time for him to develop.

18. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,475
    Out of curiosity, you never saw Moose play in person, right? Because if you did, we probably wouldn't even be having this conversation.

19. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $72
    I'd say in terms of offensive skills, advantage Fowler. Defensively, advantage Smith. Smith was a more athletic big man than Fowler or Brunk, especially when it comes to lateral foot movement.

20. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $685