Jared Grubbs, Mar 16, 2017

Settled
This Event is closed and is no longer taking wagers
This Event was settled Mar 18, 2017
  1. BU_Moxy

BU_Moxy Member

Money:
    $117
    Season tickets. Good try though. I also saw both play AAU basketball in high school.

bumba likes this.
  2. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Active Member

Money:
    $321
    Smith was light years ahead defensively as a sophomore than fowler will probably ever get to.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

3. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,613
    Fowler is really slow reacting both on the ball defensively and on weak side rotations. Part of the reason he is so slow on rotations is that he has tunnel vision on many possessions. He seems to be so intent on watching what his man is doing that he is almost oblivious to what is going on around him. Watch him. I've seen players score and his back was still to the bucket. Unless the man he is guarding is involved in the play, most times I bet Fowler doesn't know what is going on. He's slow to begin with, and couple that with the fact that he has really poor defensive fundamentals, it's not pretty.

When he plays I would just tell him to watch the ball and never leave the paint. If he's guarding anyone 15 feet and out he's never going to stop anyone from driving anyway. They are just going to go around him. And chances are he is going to commit a foul. And when he's there in the paint and the ball goes up, just find someone and block out. Maybe a 6 - 10 player hovering in the paint (outside of the charge circle) might discourage a drive or two during a game. If we get beat by some 5 he is guarding shooting from the perimeter we have to live with it. It's not much, but it's better than what we're getting from him now defensively. ......Oh, and he and Chrabs and Wideman should add a little head and shoulders fake around the bucket to their games. Kids today love to leave their feet on defense and try to block every shot. Might as well get some fouls called on those opposition bigs. Don't know if I have ever seen any one of our players do that simple little fake.

4. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,283
    Lol looks like we're going to agree to disagree, which is no big deal honestly.

Fowler had more fouls than combined points & rebounds on Saturday. That's fairly embarrassing. We'll see what happens against UNC since we need help on the glass more than ever this week.

Smith averaged 20+ minutes a game during March Madness his sophomore year (in the Horizon League) against the best talent in the country. Still think there's no comparison at this point, but just my opinion.

5. seadawg

seadawg Active Member

Money:
    $678
    Smith was completely superior athletically.

6. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,318
    I don't think Smith was superior athletically. A lot of times Andrew tripped over his own feet. Rarely did Andrew dunk the ball and he was not much of a shot blocker. What he did bring besides his size was heart. Fowler actually has better offensive skills than Andrew. My problem with Fowler is more my frustration with his lack of motor and slow reactions both on offense and on defense. In the MTSU game he received a pass underneath the basket from Lewis and I went to the frig to get a beer and when I came back he shot it! I was excited when he fouled out. He brought nothing to the party. He has the size and offensive skills to do serious things but he only has two years left to prove it.

Dunhamfor3 and bmradio99 like this.
  7. MilkSteak

MilkSteak Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,037
    This is gonna make me sound like a dick, but I'm gonna say it anyways.

You guys are letting the last couple years of Smith's life sway your judgement of his ability. He was an OKAY player. He really didn't perform well until his senior season.

Bring on the hate, but Smith did nothing but frustrate me as a fan for almost 3.5 seasons. I wish I had a dollar for every time I yelled at the TV because he wouldn't ****ing dunk the ball.

He was a great kid, so don't try and put words in my mouth.

8. seadawg

seadawg Active Member

Money:
    $678
    I was not putting Nate down. In fact he arrived at Butler with superior basketball skills. I do know on the other board someone posted athletic evaluations with 40 and mile times. Smith ran a 5.0 forty. That's fast for a player his size. Smith's round-ball skills were developed with his time at BU. I also think he was much quicker when returning to the post after hedging. Nate has obviously worked hard on bulking up in the off-season. Granted rebounding is as much about timing and blocking out as it is leaping ability, with that said, Andrew appeared to be a much quicker jumper. Brunk has speed and quickness issues to deal with as well. Hopefully getting a red-shirt will be a huge asset down the road for Joey. So we will just have to agree to disagree on this. Let's hope Nate has an opportunity to knockdown a 3 against NC.

9. Dawgs4Life

Dawgs4Life Active Member

Money:
    $122
    Yea this is pretty crazy. He was a hell of a human being, but he wasn't that good on the court until he turned the corner his senior year. It felt like he never got a rebound his first three years.

But once again, amazing person who was a Butler guy through and through.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

10. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Active Member

Money:
    $321
    He was the most valuable player on a team that beat #1 IU and #9 gonzaga, dominating two lottery picks, and one second rounder in the process. Hard to call that an "ok" player. Unquestionably a top 10-15 big guy nationally. He was very, very, good as a junior and senior despite a "lack of dunks."

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

11. seadawg

seadawg Active Member

Money:
    $678
    I think one thing we can agree on is that the center position at BU is difficult to play as a freshman big, due to the defensive scheme. Both Fowler and Smith saw limited action in their first season. If Brunk is awarded a red-shirt as we expect, it would a real luxury for BU considering his action would have probably been limited as well.

12. ThePioneerLeague

ThePioneerLeague Active Member

Money:
    $239
    Yeah I checked their board out right after our game to see what they were saying and distinctly remember that post haha. That guy is more than slightly delusional. They had a great team and it was certainly a tough game, but to blame everything on MTSU and give no credit to Butler is absolutely ludicrous. Like you said, there is a reason their starting guards were completely taken out of the game -- in 35 games they had not played a team of BU's caliber (you could argue VCU is somewhat close, but they lost that game too) . Honestly, MTSU is lucky Johnson played out of his mind or this would have been a blow out. And it's not like we played out of our minds or our best game ever...I thought we played well enough and made enough plays/shots to win the game. Proud of our guys.

Edit: some people on their board were also droning on about how many open shots they bricked...did they not realize that it was by design?? It's not like their team was full of Steph Curry's.

13. butlernut

butlernut Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,336
    One of my favorite comments from the thread, "North Carolina is going to make them [Butler] look silly if that bring that weak **** in the sweet 16. You think UNC's starting guards are gonna score 0 points and their team shoot 20% from 3? I smell a 25 point boatrace coming in Memphis."

Guy has no clue that Butler chose to let some guys take shots outside of their range and focus on others. It's called a game plan. There was a poster a bit further down that had finally had enough of this guy. Here's what he said, "Wiley you have to be the MOST dynamic and driven NEGATIVE person ever. Your passion is tremendous, but then you let your mouth over load your ass and go into that empty glass poor is me attitude.
    Yes they had a bad night, but you never do. Every thing you do must be perfect.
    Yes the missed open shots, but you NEVER miss at anything do you.
    Yes they were playing in the most pressure event with most every sports caster picking them to win.
    Instead of berating them, we should be congratulating them for putting MT basketball on the map.
    So you should get your head out of your ungrateful ass and be a little supportive of our University!
    D-winns [Poster User ID]"

14. MilkSteak

MilkSteak Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,037
    We shot and the defended the three pretty well and our assist rate was higher than normal. That's about it. In every other category, we were at or below our season average. Middle Tennessee State finished the season 67th in 3FG defense and 87th in 3FG% (against bad competition mind you), so it's not like we did something unprecedented in three-point land.

We're just a great team. I don't know why it's consistently difficult for our opponents to understand.

15. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,770
    To be fair, MTSU played the same game they played all year. They chuck shots and hit at a much better clip than they did last week. They also usually rebound their misses (granted their in league competition talent is lacking here), but that's where we did a great job, only giving them one shot most of the night. We will need to bring that again this week.

16. troggy

troggy Active Member

Money:
    $331
    Agreed, Butler has been outstanding on the defensive glass in both tournament games. Obviously, UNC is a different animal but the effort has been encouraging.