Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,957
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  2. Doctor Tobias Funke

Doctor Tobias Funke Active Member

Money:
    $81
    "In five days my team is playing in the sweet 16. Normally at this time I would be a nervous wreck. But I am not. I know We are going to defeat Butler tonight in a way that the last 10 minutes I will be relaxed. The season we have had will not allow us to lose this game. Now come Saturday vs Kentucky, or UCLA, I will be back to my normal nail biting self. Final Four on the line, how could I not be.

"I am not sure why I am so confident. Maybe it's because I know MTSU handed that game to Butler. State was never up but they still went to the out house. Maybe because Butlers BIG wins are questionable. No Turner for Villanova, Xavier endings were dicey to say the least.

"But i think the majority of my confidence in tonights game is simply we are just to great a team to lose this game to this team tonight. lets freakin' go Tar Heels. Our destiny is in Phoenix."

-UNC fan adkHeels

3. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,186
    We have a lot of time to plan for UNC. We will need the tempo in our favor the entire game. I am fine with UNC shooting quick 3's in transition. They hopefully won't make them and we can rebound and then control the clock again. Let's game plan, let's focus, let's have a good week of practice, and let's make Memphis a Butler town!

4. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,739
    Real quickly, now that this is started, if any of you are coming here and want any information on places to stay/eat/gamble/drink/music/safe places etc....please in box me or put the question in this thread, I'm more than happy to answer as best as I can so that you have a wonderful time. And I hope I get to see some of y'all. Welcome to God's country, folks. :)

5. TheOnlyNameLeft

TheOnlyNameLeft Active Member

Money:
    $246
    Hopefully that line gets a little more favorable. I'll stay away from 6 1/2. I mean Butler could easily win it, but I'd like +8 before I put a bet down.

pappyball and joliebeth23 like this.
  6. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,186
    I thought you were hosting everyone at your place Willie...

pappyball and kac12568 like this.
  7. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,032
    This is a response from the other tread but better suited here.

If we match up w/ Baldwin on Berry, then who on earth will Savage/Lewis guard when in the game?

Their starting 5 goes: Meeks: 6-10, Hicks: 6-9, Pinson; 6-6, Jackson; 6-8, and Berry, 6-0.

Off the bench the go: Maye; 6-8, Woods; 6-2, Bradley; 6-10, Britt; 6-1.

I don't think we can have Baldwin guard Berry with Lewis in the game unless either Britt or Woods are also playing. Otherwise, you would have him on somebody 6-6 or taller, and Pinson is more of a 3 than a 2. How exactly do you believe that will work?

pappyball likes this.
  8. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,739
    Well, duh. But I'm sure plenty want to BBQ it up, hear some music, hit downtown a little early (or midtown)...but yes all will be ready to roll early Friday morning. Already took the day off. Bring it.

pappyball, joliebeth23 and kmacker69 like this.
  9. Dunhamfor3

Dunhamfor3 Active Member

Money:
    $72
    Berry will probably get a dose of Baldwin/Savage.

Lewis will probably get a combo of Britt/Woods

I think we have favorable matchups that they will have to be concerned about. Hopefully Chrabs can stretch the floor. Chasing Woodson around may give them issues as well.

My biggest concern is foul trouble for Wideman/Chrabs. Don't think we can go small and matchup with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

pappyball and joliebeth23 like this.
  10. jskierko

jskierko Member

Money:
    $74
    What a group to be mentioned amongst...

11. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,277
    Britt plays about 20 minutes a game. I imagine Lewis will be on him - just as he was his sophomore year at N.C. State - when Britt is in.

joliebeth23 likes this.
  12. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,957
    The Sagarin prediction (without factoring in the Arkansas game) was Butler +7. It looks like KenPom just updated and it is Butler +4.

pappyball likes this.
  13. Mark Shelvin

Money:
    $2,032
    Makes sense. I am pretty terrified of Savage guarding Jackson.

pappyball likes this.
  14. Bulldawg

Bulldawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $590
    These teams could not be more different, as a fan of both, I find myself in an interesting predicament, so I'm going to give y'all my scout on them after going to a majority of their home games and watching pretty much every game on TV so far this season. I love this Butler team but I also love this UNC team...this is going to hurt.

THE RUNDOWN- First and foremost, this Heels team is terrific at rebounding, that's not really a surprise. Between Hicks, Meeks, and Bradley this team has some elite rebounders that help them win a lot of games. UNC loves to run (another nonsurprise), no team other than Kenucky, and now Arkansas, has even tried to outrun the Heels, so clearly a grind-it-out strategy is the best way to beat them. When it comes to getting it up the floor, Joel Berry and Theo Pinson are terrific at pushing it up the floor and using their length to score points off turnovers. Justin Jackson is the go-to guy but like Berry he sometimes has a tendency to disappear late in games (see Duke). Overall the shotmaking from Berry and Jackson is what makes this team so dynamic, they can literally hit it from anywhere and are absolutely dangerous. Postups from Hicks and Meeks pretty much finish out the general offensive gameplan, and Tony Bradley and Luke Maye help off the bench.

PLAYER BY PLAYER-
    PG Joel Berry- Joel is this team's most important piece in my opinion, he's critical to this team succeeding. He came out of the third Duke game with four fouls and basically everything fell apart. He is such an amazing scorer and his ability to distribute the ball has increased as the year has gone on. If he is taken out of the game Butler's chances of winning increase by so much. Kamar Baldwin is pretty much the only guy on Butler who can guard him. He has not shot well thus far in this tournament, if Butler is going to win he needs to be neutralized.

SG Theo Pinson- He is this team's jack of all trades, he brings so much energy to this team. Offensively, he can embarrass you if you're not careful, but for the most part he is not a major offensive threat. He is a solid defender and gets a good amount of his points in transition off steals. If you need to hide someone like Lewis on defense though he might be the best option despite the size mismatch. You want to force Theo to shoot jumpshots as he is not a great shooter.

SF Justin Jackson- This team's best player and leader, he's so well collected and can shoot over everyone and drives to the lane with an arsenal of awesome floaters. I just love this guy and the heart he brings to the game. However, he has had several shooting slumps this year and has struggled against elite defenders. I've found that there have been several big games this year where he's kind of fallen into the background while someone like Berry takes over. Kelan is the only guy I can see realistically guarding him.

PF Isaiah Hicks- An absolute monster inside, Isaiah is just a big dude. He's going to be quite the matchup for Chrabs, as Isaiah is a very good defender, drawing him to the outside will be absolutely critical. He wants to get to the bucket and scores a lot of points off second chance. While many of the big men struggle to shoot FTs, this is not the one you want to foul. Actually has a decent jumpshot.

C Kennedy Meeks- Kennedy is one of those frustrating players who sometimes is great but turns it over on the next possession. He's the best rebounder and Wideman is going to have to be all over him or this one will end quickly. I think a hack-a-shaq strategy might be the best way to proceed honestly as he sucks at FTs.

PG Nate Britt- He's literally this team's Erik Fromm....makes so many dumb mistakes for a senior yet sometimes surprises you. He's actually a decent defender, but very weak offensively. If he goes off Butler is in major trouble.

C Tony Bradley- He's definitely this team's best freshman. Tons of energy on the backboards but his game is very limited. His length neutralizes a lot of players defensively, his presence will make it very difficult for Wideman to leave the game as I don't know if Fowler will be able to matchup well. He scores on a lot of putbacks, once again you definitely want to foul him as often as possible.

PF Luke Maye- He's the only big man who can stretch the floor, he shoots a lot of shots from 3 at a decent clip. He doesn't really surprise you with his athleticism inside but he can beat you if you let him. He had a 15 rebound game this season.

PG Seventh Woods- Has had some glimpses of brilliance as a freshman, he is a terrific passer and can get to the rim at will. He won't play a lot as he will only spell Joel occasionally.

HOW CAN BUTLER WIN- Honestly this game will be decided by two of UNCs weaknesses, the two things I believe Butler is pretty good at. Turnovers and Free throws. Announcers often say Butler doesn't beat themselves, UNC has basically written the book on beating themselves this year. If Butler takes care of the ball and forces turnovers they are going to due very well. And when in doubt against the big men, a foul is always a good option. Even Joel and Justin have had the tendency to miss a lot of key free throws this season. If Butler can keep it relatively close on the boards, these two things should be enough to separate them. Really its just going to come down to whether UNC can execute their offense or if Butler's slower tempo disrupts them.

15. Davidoff-dawgsby90

Davidoff-dawgsby90 New Member

Money:
    $22
    Thanks for the analysis Bulldawg that was awesome.

The biggest key to this game is rebounding. We need to play a physical game and punch them in the mouth to throw them off. Make it an ugly game and limit our own mistakes and I think we got a great shot.

#60, pappyball and joliebeth23 like this.
  16. Tidezealot

Tidezealot New Member

Money:
    $16
    Wideman and Chrabs MUST stay out of foul trouble. Fowler needs to contribute something when he's on the floor. Hopefully Keelan will turn up the dial on the defensive end of the floor.

I'd like to see Savage be aggressive with the ball, BUT under control and smart ( a few drives that draw the defender, followed by a dish or a kick out would be a nice mix ).
    I thought he forced shots last night.

I like our tempo and D vs UNC. They are obviously extremely talented, but I've always considered the Tarheels on the soft side historically.

I like our chances Friday.

pappyball likes this.
  17. Mark Shelvin

Money:
    $2,032
    I hope Baddley and McDermott are both ready. I could see us needing their length for 2-5 minutes on their wings.

Also, not trying to be insensitive, but would really like to have Brunk as an option for this one.

18. Tidezealot

Tidezealot New Member

Money:
    $16
    Baddley's athleticism might be a plus. I've been surprised at him not being given any consistent couple of minutes the latter part of the season.

McDermott seems like he needs some more " sand in his pants " to be a contributor Friday. Did he play last night ?

19. HenryMuto

HenryMuto Active Member

Money:
    $152
    How about that ACC...........if South Carolina holds on that great ACC we all heard about all year will have only 1 team left....and that team you guys can knock out so please knock them out and I will hope to meet you on the other side.

TheOnlyNameLeft and pappyball like this.
  20. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,049
    The Tournament isn't a good way to evaluate conferences, but the "GREATEST CONFERENCE EVER" should probably be able to muster more than 1 Sweet 16 entry. Hilarious. My favorite non-Butler story line of the Tournament so far.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017