Jared Grubbs

Butler Bulldogs (25-8) vs North Carolina Tar Heels (29-7) - 3/24

Jared Grubbs, Mar 19, 2017

Settled
  1. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,219
    I was not fond of the game plan, but I don't think it would have mattered much. They were hitting the contested shots along with the open shots.

Using base level expected value, you live with giving up some 2s at the expense of uncontested 3s. Also, thought we should have started fouling any time they got in the paint with about 4 left. They were missing a bunch. Agree that Savage/Woodson on Jackson was naive, would have even considered spot minutes for Baddley.

I don't think it's an indictment on CH or the staff, just a few things I would have done differently. Like I said, not sure it would have mattered against them last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

dawgs2014 and ButlerGoalie like this.
  2. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,501
    To be fair, most of your "in game" posts are stiff, tasteless and derogatory toward either officials or players. Try putting the tablet/phone down sometime and just sit and absorb the game. You might just lower your blood pressure.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

Tentozen, BoyGeoff and NCJon like this.
  3. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,802
    My God.

IFFFFFFFFFFF

THEY CANT BEAT THEM IF THEY ARE MATCHED AND SHOOT LIKE CRAP FROM THE LINE AGAIN.

I cannot make this any clearer. You saw that part of the sentence, correct??

4. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $17,802
    Go away until next fall. You can come back if Kelan leaves.

I mean seriously... what the hell are you talking about?? How did the bounces go exactly Butler's way??? We beat Nova twice fair and square. X twice fair and square. Northwestern. Arizona.

You want to talk bounces??? 2011 tourney run with a buzzer beater, a crazy foul, a 3 to tie by a kid who played like 2 min a game. Those bounces went Butler's way.

2013 - a crazy running 3, a walk on in his second start beating the #1 team when half of Butler was fouled out, literally winning a game against a 1-seed Zags on a running shot from a guy who can't shoot when they had the ball and the lead with 3.4 seconds left.

Those are crazy bounces going Butler's way. Did I miss something this season? You are completely clueless.

troggy, UDDawg, DawgPoundMac and 2 others like this.
  5. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $17,802
    Thanks for the advice, but I'm good. Yep... no one is harder on refs than I am. They are mostly incompetent and blow terrible calls that affect the outcome of the game. Sorry I want it to be about the players.

And where do I disparage players?? Other than a couple posts about Savage saying he should be benched, I am very careful not to do this. There is a big difference between "ugh Wideman needs to work on footwork" (an observation) or "slow it down Kelan we didn't need that!" (Another obvious observation) and "omg Butler sucks and Holtmann sucks and Kelan is going to transfer and holt has lost the team!" I don't do the latter.

Look in another direction buddy... we had a 7-page thread about Holtmann losing his players. Those of us that actually played high-level athletics know he hadn't and refrained from stupid and legit criticism of college kids.

estar20dawg likes this.
  6. butlerdude05

butlerdude05 Active Member

Money:
    $4,737
    So proud of our players, coaches, and staff. Fantastic season. Reminded me when we had Gtime and noone else had answers for him. unc had a great night and we didnt. And it was still a 12 point game. So excited for the future. And will miss the seniors, who all held this thing together for us fans, especially AC, a lot.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Butler Hoops mobile app

7. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,313
    My sentiments exactly. I always hate it when these kids graduate. They were a marvelous group of student athletes that gave it their all and represented Butler with amazing character and grace.

#60, PSUButlerFan and NCJon like this.
  8. PDT1242

PDT1242 Active Member

Money:
    $74
    I've been stalking for a while but I trust many of the long time posters will remember me. I just wanted to add my name to the many who are so proud of this team and staff. Good luck to all and you done us proud. Does anyone else besides myself think ( and hope ) that AC would make a great addition to the coaching staff? How about any other players that could be good coaches?
    Once again, thanks for being great ambassadors for Butler University.

9. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,472
    I know Tyler Lewis has said he'd like to get into coaching.

10. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,081
    Martin has announced that he's not going thru draft workouts AND that he's returning to Butler. Per Dave Calabro.

EDIT: As ButlerGoalie pointed out, I may have [and now that I re-read it, probably did] misread Calabro's tweet.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  11. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,472
    Really admire Kelan for the way he appeared to handle his mid-season struggles. He accepted some tough coaching, thrived & bounced back nicely coming off the bench, & seemed to be an excellent teammate throughout. Glad to hear this.

joliebeth23, BEastDawgs and BoyGeoff like this.
  12. BEastDawgs

BEastDawgs Member

Money:
    $54
    Love this

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

13. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,313
    AC would make an outstanding coach but I would assume he could make good money playing overseas for a few years.

bmradio99 likes this.
  14. Bulldawg

Bulldawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $638
    I don't understand this decision...why not go through the workouts? It's basically free information on what you need to do to improve your game

15. peeps112

peeps112 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $644
    Not sure why we have ignored the PG position the past two years, considering college basketball is a point guard game. Baldwin is a shooting guard, Savage was a shooting guard, and Jorg is totally unproven and no one was recruiting him as a transfer.

To have a great season next year, we're going to have to hope we get lucky in the transfer market or Smith commits. (The fact that we lost pgs to VCU and VT is mind boggling).

If we get that PG, we have much more versatility with our roster.

I agree with others that a rim protector would be nice. Not sure how SC and Arkansas can find one by we can't. But I don't see that in our future.

Was a terrific season, now let's hope we have a great start to the offseason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. ConnersvilleBulldog

Money:
    $9,081
    Last year he said something to the affect of, he didn't want to go through pre-draft workouts because then it would start becoming all about what he needs to do to reach the NBA and not what he needs to do to make his team better.

Which is admirable. Plus, I'm sure him and the staff have a pretty good idea of what he needs to work on.

17. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,909
    Was this on-air? I'm no longer in Indy, so I don't have local channels. Or is that based on this Callabro tweet?

A moment to reflect on a busy day..Kelan Martin won't test the NBA waters and Chris Holtmann says he staying at Butler. @ButlerMBB #WTHR

I read that tweet as Martin is not going through workouts and Holtmann is staying.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

18. ConnersvilleBulldog

Money:
    $9,081
    It was from that tweet. I guess I read it a different way. But I guess you could be right also.

19. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,548
    I think this is unfair to say they've ignored the point guard situation. Are they better off getting a guy who's a point guard that can't compete at this level when they miss out on players like Batts and Bede as you noted? I also think it's unfair to say that losing point guards to VCU and VT is mind boggling. Those teams play a style that is more appealing to players than the way that Butler plays. Obviously it's debatable as to whether those styles are more successful, but kids do prefer to play uptempo even if it isn't always the best way for them to succeed as a team in college.

I'd be very surprised if they got Smith, and as you said Jorgensen is unproven, and his past results don't predict future greatness, so it'll likely be the transfer market, and I'm also sure that Baldwin will work a lot on running the team. It's also not ideal, IMO, but Jerald Butler could also run some point next season and Baldwin could then guard the other team's point guard on defense. It's essentially what they had when Jones was here with Barlow.

Dunhamfor3, UDDawg and huss587 like this.
  20. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,691
    Agree. Kelan will be a senior and clearly has some work to do before NBA teams would consider using a precious draft pick to take a chance on him. Why not get advice straight from the horse's mouth? Hard to see how a hungry and motivated Kelan would be anything but good for Butler.