Jared Grubbs

Butler Bulldogs (25-8) vs North Carolina Tar Heels (29-7) - 3/24

Jared Grubbs, Mar 19, 2017

Settled
  1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,957
    Regardless of whether you prefer NBA or college, a single elimination tournament certainly provides more intense, exciting moments. The drawback is it doesn't really crown a champion that is truly the best team, but it certainly provides top notch entertainment.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

troggy and Dawgs2018 like this.
  2. jarik

jarik Active Member

Money:
    $105
    Kamar is so much fun to watch. He made a couple plays this year that were new to me. I'm thinking he might benefit from going the Sandy Koufax route and take a few MPH off his fastball. He'd still be faster than most mortals and perhaps gain some more control.

3. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,650
    I think he will learn to vary his speed.

jarik likes this.
  4. peeps112

peeps112 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $553
    Isn't that exactly what they did when they got Jorgensen? His best offer besides us was Northeastern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Bulldawg

Bulldawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $590
    For those of you bragging on Luke Maye, Roy originally wanted to bring him on as a walk on....its freaking amazing!!!! Still sad Butler had to get in the way but this is destiny for the Heels, time to cut the nets!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

6. Ross Hall

Ross Hall Member

Money:
    $49
    Officiating alone is enough to make ncaa basketball pretty brutal. Take the connection to BU off the table and I would never need to watch another NCAA basketball game again. Simply put its a vastly inferior product to the nba.

7. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,472
    When you watch guys like Rose & Kellen not get drafted, maybe it's motivating to play out your college career & see what the next step holds once you get there.

Even a lottery pick like Kris Dunn isn't lighting the league on fire:
    http://www.nba.com/article/2016/11/...2016-17-kris-dunn-shrinking-role-timberwolves

8. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,081
    You guys need to start watching GSW games. Very entertaining. Durant will be back soon.

Ross Hall likes this.
  9. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,650

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  10. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $685
    The NBA is garbage. Who wants to watch 82 useless games when we know one of 2-3 teams will win it all when the season starts?

PSUButlerFan likes this.
  11. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,728
    This is true. You MAY be able to pick 3ish teams that actually stand a chance. No fun upsets, no good story lines and a huge waste of money and time to go to games. My Grizz are good, and they have zero chance in the lowest level of hell to win anything. That's not fun. This year there are two clear teams and one maybe...GS, Cleveland and SA. Out of what? 32? Boring.

12. Ross Hall

Ross Hall Member

Money:
    $49
    So having one of the best teams win the championship is a bad thing? I don't like the super team aspect of the NBA either that has only a handful of good teams right now. To say though that there are 82 useless games is a false statement. You have to make the playoffs. College basketball inarguably has the most useless regular season in sports. Theoretically a team can go 0-32 during the regular season and at the end of the year be considered the "best team".

13. jskierko

jskierko Member

Money:
    $74
    But the Nets could go 0 for 82 and I'd look at you like this $hit gravy... thread derailing

14. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,454
    No one's really talking about it, but I think the UNC game was over once Seth Davis said we were his upset lock.

ChiDawg3 and bmradio99 like this.
  15. OldSchoolDawg1983

OldSchoolDawg1983 Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $345
    Three days hence, its finally settling in for me that this entertaining, gripping, and successful Butler basketball season is over. I've read lots of spot-on analysis and commentary here. The contributors to this forum really know their basketball. Just about everyone who ventured an opinion described precisely what the Dawgs needed to do to beat UNC.....unfortunately, the TarHeels with their effective inside / outside game and high % shot making quickly turned the pace of the game in their favor. We all harbored some level of optimism that the Dawgs could win, but IrishDawg probably had the best read on the probable outcome.

Its gratifying that: 1) 3 of the 4 finalists are there for the first time. Great for Gonzaga, South Carolina, and Oregon. We remember from our own March 2010 experience how this week their players, coaches and fans will be living in the stratosphere; and 2) UNC beat Kentucky. I have nothing but enmity for the latter's coach and I loathe their NBA farm system basketball culture.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  16. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,650
    I'd like to know from you all that prefer the NBA as to what do you see other than one on one basketball, three point shooting and slam dunk contest.

PSUButlerFan likes this.
  17. ThePioneerLeague

ThePioneerLeague Active Member

Money:
    $387
    If you actually watched the NBA at all you would see that there is no more 1-on-1 than there is in college. Watch college games besides Butler and you will see the majority of them are pretty ****ing terrible.

The NBA isn't perfect by any means, but don't confuse that with thinking NCAAB is infallible. As some others have said, a lot of the college product is not good (coupled with terrible refs). Give me the Timberwolves vs. Suns 10/10 times over watching some middle of the pack power conference college match up.

UDDawg likes this.
  18. troggy

troggy Active Member

Money:
    $596
    My, you are a zealot.

ChiDawg3 likes this.
  19. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,497
    I never said anything about him leaving. The new rules allow players to participate in draft camps and/or workouts and keep their eligibility, so long as they back out before the deadline. Why would he not go get feedback directly from NBA front office personnel and mix it up with the best players in college basketball?

20. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,497
    I love college and NBA hoops. I have my gripes with the NBA (concentration of talent, blatant tanking, regular season length, etc.), but it is unequivocally a superior product in terms of basketball prowess on display.

Some of you sound like you would rather watch loogootee run the four corners for 60% of the game and win 28-20. But did you see the back cuts? How about those crisp bounce passes!

NBA teams don't need elaborate offenses. They don't need to run 13 dribble handoffs before throwing up a contested shot a la Butler. You want to know what the really good teams run? The pick and roll. Watching a skilled big man with range pick and pop is one of the most beautiful things in basketball. Have you ever watched Kawhi Leonard play? Russell Westbrook? Have you ever marveled at Klay Thompson's shooting form? Have you seen Andre Drummond rebound? Have you watched Isiah Thompson in the fourth quarter?

It's ok to like one product more than another, but claiming the NBA is "garbage" or filled with only "one on one basketball" makes you an ignoramus.

the_speakers_lab likes this.