Jared Grubbs

Butler Bulldogs (25-8) vs North Carolina Tar Heels (29-7) - 3/24

Jared Grubbs, Mar 19, 2017

Settled
  1. DawgWild

DawgWild Active Member

Money:
    $301
    A retired Dawg here, so I have time to watch replays of the games. I also have been critical of Savage here in the blog, but after rewatching the Middle TN game, it turns out that Savage guarded Giddy Potts a good deal of the time and deserves to share the credit for the shutout. Still, some of his uncontrolled drives and turnovers make me crazy!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    pappyball, Hinkle, jarik and 2 others like this.
  2. DawgWild

DawgWild Active Member

Money:
    $301
    Another observation after rewatching the telecasts of the two S16 games... Check out the pre-game analysis... Now, I was thrilled when I first saw Wintrop and Middle TN, but these two teams were hot, on streaks, and MUCH respected and MUCH tougher outs than most folks thoughts. BUT I suspect the Selection Committee knew exactly what they had set up... and then, just in case NC, and then just in case UCLA or KY...

I love being a Bulldog! Get no respect, just the big win by the little school... (Yeah, yeah - I know we are a university and in the BE, but you KNOW what I mean.)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    pappyball likes this.
  3. DawgWild

DawgWild Active Member

Money:
    $301
    They should - I think we've beaten them the last two times we've played!

pappyball likes this.
  4. Albick

Albick Active Member

Money:
    $221
    I'm as much of a conspiracy theorist as they next guy when it comes to suspecting that the NCAA puts its thumb on the scales in favor of the bluebloods, but I find it hard to find fault with our matchups in this tournament. Winthrop was good, but I don't think they were seeded too low. MTSU probably was underseeded, but they certainly shouldn't have been a 5 seed or better, so we weren't playing a tougher matchup than a 4 seed reasonably could expect in the second round. As for our NC/KY/UCLA pod, the big issue is that ours is the only region that has run to form. Other 4s would be facing a similar gauntlet if the 1, 2 and 3 seeds in their region all had won. For a 4 seed, it's not unreasonable to expect to be facing that caliber of team at this point in the tournament. At this stage, everyone's very good.

troggy and pappyball like this.
  5. DawgWild

DawgWild Active Member

Money:
    $301
    Agreed, I concede your point.

pappyball likes this.
  6. bu1973

bu1973 Active Member

Money:
    $204
    I am as much in awe of the Butler journey as the next guy. But think about this, and correct me or add, if I am wrong, the last time we played North Carolina, Villanova, UCLA, Arizona, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Kansas State, Indiana, Purdue, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, the latter two, #1 seeds, we won. That is pretty good list of big boys. I don't think we will let the name on the jersey affect us.

LA-OC-IE and pappyball like this.
  7. TheOnlyNameLeft

TheOnlyNameLeft Active Member

Money:
    $164
    I just did a parlay with BU +7 and X + 7 1/2. Go Big East!!!!

Dawgs2412, pappyball, Hinkle and 4 others like this.
  8. DawgWild

DawgWild Active Member

Money:
    $301
    Nice!

pappyball likes this.
  9. WestLoopDog

WestLoopDog Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,178
    You forgot to mention Gonzaga :)

10. BGDawgFan

BGDawgFan Member

Money:
    $28
    Also Gonzaga (as WestLoopDog noted above), Michigan, and Florida. You could also add Arkansas if you want to go back to the 1930-31 season!

Butler lost its last game against Pittsburgh (2012, in the CBI). But the point is well taken.

pappyball and TheOnlyNameLeft like this.
  11. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $700
    Cool, no problem, let me know if you need addresses, but for those that are wanting some good BBQ while here:

Central BBQ (three locations, one downtown with a huge back room and plenty TVs)
    Blues City Cafe (my favorite ribs in Memphis)
    The BBQ Shop (midtown, and try the bbq spaghetti...sounds weird but it works)
    Kozy Korner (A little hood rich, but outstanding)
    Payne's BBQ (Super Hood rich but nice people if you can get over the fact you're in the middle of the hood)
    Interstate BBQ (South of downtown on 3rd street, outstanding as it gets)
    Rendezvous-I don't like it but I'm local. It's more of a tourist trap, but then again charcoal ribs and draft beer are yummy. Sausage and cheese plate too.

Other strong spots in or around downtown-BB King's (UCLA has it Friday night though), Lafayette's, The Bayou, Kooky Canuck, Flying Fish, South of Beale, The Pig

Nice Spots (where you'll open the wallet a little)-Ittabena, Felicia Suzanne's, McCewan's, Pearl's, Paulette's (on the river), Sweet Grass, Anywhere in the Peabody

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but, there's a start. Let's have a good time.

12. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Active Member

Money:
    $3,263
    Agreed - Pearl's and Flying Fish are both good spots. Best thing at Rendezvous is the mustard slaw. It's what got me hooked on cole slaw. Most other days, I would take the BBQ in Nashville over Memphis (no offense, Willis), but it is pretty damn good and blows anything they call "BBQ" up here out of the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

pappyball likes this.
  13. willisbrown

Money:
    $700
    The other thing I failed to mention, if you really want to get redneck...it's crawfish season and most seafood places and bars have some kind of good mudbug offerings. Also, plenty of places (some above) have great gulf coast oysters.

pappyball likes this.
  14. tryroadwarriors

tryroadwarriors New Member

Money:
    $21
    Awesome. Will try and add as many as I can and get back to you guys when ready

pappyball and willisbrown like this.
  15. tryroadwarriors

Money:
    $21
    Is there a official Butler bar or event? If so, I will be sure to mention it.

pappyball likes this.
  16. jskierko

jskierko Member

Money:
    $53
    All I know is that I want to watch the game with Pappyball! S/he seems to be quite excited as 'likes' were given to 69 of the first 97 posts on this thread (yes, I'm ready for the game as well as I legitimately counted the 'likes')

pappyball and DawgsMD like this.
  17. willisbrown

Money:
    $700
    Not that I have heard of, I'll ask my uncle and his management group tomorrow when I see them in Oxford. They own three downtown spots and one in midtown, but all I've heard so far is that the UCLA party is at BBs. Other than that, haven't heard of official gatherings.

pappyball likes this.
  18. gmoser1210

gmoser1210 Active Member

Money:
    $133
    Count me in if I can get it with some chili cheese etoufee.

19. tryroadwarriors

Money:
    $21
    Alright, here is the first pass. I will keep checking back for new events so I can get them up there and let me know if there is an official Butler event. Beat Carolina!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/roadwarriors/id1205327570?ls=1&mt=8

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.roadwarriors

Attached Files:

pappyball likes this.
  20. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,821
    I've been on about 10 different schools' basketball message boards the last three days. I'm a broken record on this, but they're almost uniformly a train wreck. Is there a board for any school as good as this one? If so, I'm serious: where is it? Who's got it? They are so all over the place and hard to follow.

Maybe one of the Carolina posters can give tell us about the different UNC boards and where we should be looking?