Paid Out:
$455
Jared Grubbs

Butler Bulldogs (3-0) vs Dayton Flyers (3-0) - 11/21

Jared Grubbs, Nov 19, 2018

Settled
  1. Trumpforpresident2020

Trumpforpresident2020 Active Member

Style of play is not my problem with Lavall. I believe we can play an uptempo style and still keep the butler way. I also understand that we are going to have bad games. He's human but there is a trend. Coach K, Barnes, Few, Bennett, Pearl, etc all know how too control a game with their style of play. They know how to work through adversity as well know how to manage a game. Lavall has not shown he can do this.

dippper61 likes this.
  2. Trumpforpresident2020

Trumpforpresident2020 Active Member

I agree that these are 18-21 year old kids. It was not the kids fault for how they played. Substitutions, lack of timeouts, lack of game management, the inability to recognize strengths and weaknesses. That's my problem with the coaching staff this far in seasons one and two. Holtman was not the best coach Im The world, but he has been the best we have had since Stevens departure. Holtman made some mistakes during his tenure but the positives out weigh the negatives. It's unfortunate that I can't say the same for Lavall.

dippper61 likes this.
  3. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,757
    Yeah... if you say Boltman one more time you will be on the ignore list... Tired of that stick and don't give a crap about him or what might have been! Stevens had the same kind of responses when we lost to UAB in the 2009-10 season and I thought they were just as stupid. Moving on, but let it rest already. It worked you annoyed me, go back under your bridge.

Tentozen and estar20dawg like this.
  4. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,136
    This is idiotic. LaVall has done a fantastic job so far. He is coaching players recruited for Holtmanns system while implementing his own. The team improved significantly throughout last season and will no doubt do the same this year. As LaVall starts getting more of his own guys, I have no doubt the system will tighten up. Recruiting is a huge part of a coaches on court success, and he has done a great job so far.

A lot of the problems this year fall on Kamar growing into a leadership role.

Tentozen likes this.
  5. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,073
    IMG_3525.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

6. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,721
    I wonder more about bringing our bigs on high ball screens and away from the basket. They don’t rotate quickly nor do we get them the ball. This takes another defender out to the perimeter and doesn’t seem to open anything up for KB. Is this the only offense that is run ?

As for LJ I’m not sure it’s his fault that they can’t make a foul shot or rebound or shoot or play with energy.

None of these kids that played were his recruits. I would be surprised if he would recruit some of these players.

BoyGeoff and Tentozen like this.
  7. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,073
    I just don’t see any basis for this view other than as a reactionary byproduct of a poor showing last night.

There is no chance butler had top 20 talent last year, but they finished around 20th in overall in efficiency. He clearly exceeded what could an average coach would’ve with that level of talent. If his method of exceeding expectations and having success was simply or mostly recruiting and development, there’s really no way he could’ve had such a successful first year, especially taking over so late.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    Tentozen likes this.
  8. WMUDog

WMUDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $233
    Perhaps the upside of Baldwin's inconsistent play is that it could weaken his chance to leave early for the NBA.

9. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,604
    Taking everything into account this program has some glaring weaknesses. The biggest of which may be totally unrealistic expectations by some of the fan base. Building a program is a long term project. Along the way there will be growing pains as the team learns from it's mistakes. While LJ continues to learn on the job, I have full confidence is his coaching and recruiting abilities.

BoyGeoff, Tentozen and kmacker69 like this.
  10. WMUDog

WMUDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $233
    I know I was down on LJ last night in the moment. However, he is a young man (for a D1 coach) with very little experience as a head coach. We are in the ballpark as is. I think LJ has a lot of room to grow. So after a good nights sleep I still feel very optimistic about our future. Of course, I am sure I will over react if we lay an egg tonight :)

BoyGeoff, jeff and kmacker69 like this.
  11. Dawg Guy

Dawg Guy Active Member

Money:
    $440
    Lucky for us, this Florida team is not very good. We have to get past MTSU and they have to get past Stanford first. Leaving this thing 1-2 would not be good for our tourney resume.

12. Woof

Woof Well-Known Member

Money:
    $715
    Apologies if this was already stated somewhere in the thread, but Baldwin would improve tremendously if he could consistently recognize situations during his drives to the bucket.

Seems like most of the time, he’s 100% set on getting to the rim once he drives. It’s typically worked because he’ll have a similar sized defender that he can take 1-1 without any problems. However, he’s going to get each team’s best defender, or at least a player with a lot of length, plus a help defender in the paint.

I saw numerous drives last night where Baldwin would drive and stop underneath the basket to try and pivot and get a better look. When he’s 1-1, this works well, but Dayton trapped him with length and forced him into bad situations. He needs to be able to recognize this before stopping at the basket and kick it to a wing, or dump it to a big. That’ll open up our offense for shooters, but also allow for more 1-1 drives.

This also depends on off-ball movement, which we didn’t see much of last night. Reminds me of early last season where everyone would watch Kelan, so all of our hopes would fall of Kelan to play well. It doesn’t just have to be Kamar. Paul can score with better shot selection, Brunk can be a load in the post, McDermott’s a reliable shooter, etc. We’ll also get Tucker in a few weeks.

This team is bound to improve as the season progresses, but we’re going to have some games like this. Nature of the beast, and we’ve seen it happen to other teams. The important factor is how we respond and grow. If we see the same mistakes consistently once we get into January and Feb, that would be a concern.

jeff likes this.
  13. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,152
    This is why he is bringing in kids like Golden who excels in pick and pop, Hastings, Nze, & Mulloy. I would have liked to see David in that roll until those 3. We have no real pick and pop/roll guy right now. We have spot up shooters, McD, Jorgy, Tucker and our two bigs are just going to roll to the basket there is no fear by the defense to have to respect a pick and roll to the 3 its all pick and roll to the basket. All of the new guys who can't play can play that duo roll up pick and pop and pick and hammer it down. So as bad as I want to just be disgusted by what I've seen so far, I'm keeping in the back of my head to hope to see a KB or Battle pick and lob hammer by Golden/Hastings/Nze/Mulloy in the near future.

14. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,721
    That’s kind of what I was getting at. LJ is recruiting players unlike the past. Golden will hurt you. Bet Nze will. Those two will have motors. Bet Hastings is athletic and tough. Interesting interview of LJ in the Dan Dakich show yesterday which was mostly about Mulloy who I believe will be more in the mode of a point forward ala Gordon Hayward. I’m not saying he is the second coming but will be able to bring the ball up the court and drive it. I’m hoping and expecting the type of player and style of play is going to change.

Tentozen likes this.
  15. Tentozen

Tentozen Active Member

Money:
    $539
    And a fair amount that are not considered Xs and Os.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

16. bwesson15

bwesson15 Active Member

I know it's been brought up before, but what happened to Nate's shot. His sophomore year he was elite from 3 in a very small volume 10-21. Taking last years numbers and so far this year he is 8-27. I don't really know how you fall off like that.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Butler Hoops mobile app

17. jeff

jeff Well-Known Member

Money:
    $329
    I just finished watching the game and was thinking the same thing.
    I'm not sure we found the open player in the corner the whole night.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Butler Hoops mobile app

18. jeff

jeff Well-Known Member

Money:
    $329
    1) Don't understand why we have Thompson playing if Baldwin is taking over the point a fair amount of the time when they are in there together. I know his playing time was limited because of fouls but he got very few opportunities to drive to the basket or even touches.

2) I absolutely want to scream when during the course of the game they split the screen to show the announcer playing with a dolphin earlier in the day. That pisses me off more than the loss.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Butler Hoops mobile app

19. Clevedog

Clevedog Active Member

Money:
    $284
    I agree with the above, the question is if Baldwin plays the point, and Thompson is our point guard, then when Baldwin plays point don't we need a player with no offensive skills. Thompson has little or no offensive skills, I think the "great one on one Defender" handle lacks substance and is just to justify his floor time. Sorry, but when not playing point Thompson should be on the bench.

The dolphins had better teamwork and were more in sync last night than we were.

Shimmy and jeff like this.
  20. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,721
    I too can’t understand playing AT with KB. What does that accomplish? I know I’m alone on this but AT has not done much. Is that on him or is it because KB is the point guard? Then again we only have three guards he being one. Hope our starting five come conference is Tucker, McD, PJ, KB and whomever at the five.

bumba likes this.