Jared Grubbs

Butler Bulldogs (4-0) vs Morehead State Eagles (4-0) - 11/22

Jared Grubbs, Nov 20, 2019

Settled
  1. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,102
    Willis, he plays his role well, and he’s got a motor and likes to play D. My guess is LaVall was tired of seeing people not making the extra effort to rotate and close out on those uncontested threes in the first half. He knew Henry would help light a fire and lead by example, like a senior should.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

#60, godogs91, MSUDawg and 1 other person like this.
  2. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,102
    One last thing, but I am going out on a limb and saying that Morehead State State will be dancing this year. The little things were there - 13 turnovers and only nine fouls for an entire game on the road. That will help win you games in the OVC when shots are not falling.

Could end up being a decent win when all is said and done.

DawgPoundMac and joliebeth23 like this.
  3. tedfrye

tedfrye Active Member

Money:
    $211
    If Butler plays like that again they may lose every game in conference play. Lackluster play. Playing sideways again on offense then 5 seconds to shoot and the ball ends up in either a freshman’s hands (not his fault) or a guy that can’t shoot. The defense is better but how many times are ya gonna let a team make a 3 when their shot clock is about to run out? You have to see that and buckle down in those last seconds. Mental toughness. And LJ? Get mad. Hold people accountable. Demand it. It’s coaching. Players love to be coached. They really do. If they don’t, you don’t want them.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    2xDawg likes this.
  4. JMCBigWayne

JMCBigWayne Active Member

Money:
    $127
    This game was a perfect end to our cupcake portion of the schedule. Did some things well to build confidence off of but enough bad that Coach Jordan will have plenty of tape to rip into them to keep the team from getting a big head and over confident.

When it’s all said and done we held a decent team to 50 points who hit some absurd, contested shots and won by 18 on a night where Tucker and McD were missing wide open looks and we were sloppy with the ball for 30 minutes of play.

In regards to the post above of the other team hitting 3s late in the shot clock, I’ll give you a few of those were bad rotations allowing open looks but most were heaves at the buzzer with a butler player in their face. What else do you want Butler to do on those? Attempt to block the 3 and risk fouling a jump shooter?

5. indienapolis

indienapolis Active Member

Money:
    $308
    PSUButlerFan and ButlerNut like this.
  6. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $678
    McD twice and Tucker once were really slow in closing out.

7. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,165
    pappyball, jeff, kmacker69 and 2 others like this.
  8. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,554
    Agree, Battle is more aggressive with taking the ball to the rim and seems to have found the speed of the college game. If splitting minutes between Battle & Tucker is the option when AT and Kamar are on the court, I'm good with it.

MBA2003 likes this.
  9. coach roastbeef

coach roastbeef New Member

Money:
    $15
    the dawgs are killin it rn!

10. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,499
    First half was a return to last year- poor defensive effort, sluggish offense and KB dribbling too much. Corrected those in the second half.

AT would be an All American if he had a shot. He was 1-8 and 0-2 from three. Why was he out at the three point line receiving a pass with seconds left in the shot clock?

2xDawg and dippper61 like this.
  11. Josh Nichols

Josh Nichols Member

Money:
    $91
    The casual Butler basketball fan may forget about this game come March, but the dedicated fan who is knowledgeable about basketball and the concept of teamwork will realize the importance of last night’s victory. The Butler players were not performing well in the first half of the contest, but they didn’t get down on themselves. They overcame adversity and showed their true heart. I love everything Butler basketball represents.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    2xDawg, MBA2003 and joliebeth23 like this.
  12. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,350
    A couple observations

1) KB brought the ball up on the first possession, which I think has been different from all other games this year. Many have noted that Baldwin is not our best option as primary ball handler (see last year) as Thompson is a better distributor and is a negative when he is off the ball due to his inability to shoot. I wonder if the coaches were seeing how Baldwin could run the show from the get go as this game is somewhat of a tuneup and maybe they want to see how it looked this year. I'm perfectly all right with doing that but question doing that against better opponents.

2) Thus far our defense has overperformed while our offense has underperformed. We are currently 29th in each category in KP (but started out much higher in offense and lower in defense). I think the key to unlocking our offense is to figure out how to get Tucker or McD (or Battle) more consistent; thus far we get consistent performances from KB and Nze but we have yet to see a game where we have a wing go along with KB and Nze (obviously McD went off first game but this was without KB). I think we can be really scary if we have an offensive presence from a ball handler, wing, and big coupled with our defense. Missouri has the best defense we will likely face all season (7th in KP) so it will be extremely tough to score .

MBA2003 and Tentozen like this.
  13. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $2,165
    Butler did not start the season much higher on offense in KenPom compared to now. In fact, the team has gotten better compared to those expectations.

Preseason Rankings: 31st in offense, 40th in defense
    Current Rankings: 29th in offense, 29th in defense.

I think that the metrics tell that story pretty well in terms of what the eye test is showing us. The offense has been quite good aside from maybe 15 total minutes this season. There are always going to be some poor possessions but I'm complaining much. Defense has been impressive.

DawgsMD and MBA2003 like this.
  14. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,499
    I think McD passes up too many opportunities. He needs to be attempting 10+ shots a game.

Did like Golden making and taking two threes last night. He seemed comfortable and confident from out there.

15. Bulldogs260

Bulldogs260 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,209
  16. WestLoopDog

WestLoopDog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,713
    Lukas, your written pieces are always good and I always look forward to them. But I must say that I especially look forward to your post game press conf questions. Your questions always reveal some not-so-obvious insight. A cut above everyone else's . Judging from LaVal's expression when he gets your question, he seems to appreciate your incisive questions, too. They make him have to stop and think.

17. Ster8462

Ster8462 Active Member

Money:
    $212
    I believe LaVall is progressing nicely as an on the floor coach. Remember he is starting year 4 as a head coach.

I’m sure he knows more than I do. I believe LaVall feels Thompson is the answer at PG but against a team we are to win handily against why wouldn’t you give Option B (Kamar) some time running the point. What happens if Thompson goes down for 3-5 game stretch do we have a better chance at winning those games if you’ve gotten Kamar some run at the point guard spot. Very likely hence why you give Kamar some run. If you haven’t noticed we are razor thin at 2 positions which is Point Guard and Power Forward. Our season outlook likely goes south if we lose Nze or Thompson for any extended time. As much as Kamar is the best player we have more options (players to cover the 2 spot). Battle, Baddley, Tucker all could combine and fill that hole without as big of a loss as the 1/PG or 4/PF positions.

LaVall chooses to coach more subtly to his players. He went small with Baddley to start the 2nd half. Golden looked okay but when Morehead went small it created matchup issues if we left Golden on the floor.

Jordan also kept Tucker on the bench longer to start the 2nd half than the first half. As a result Tucker’s stats/play in the 2nd half was much better than first half. We don’t need a coach to get in the players face all the time as it seemed like Jordan’s in game decisions got our guys to produce much better in the 2nd half then the first. He light a fire under his guys after a very uninspiring first half effort.

Believe Vall is progressing nicely as on the floor coach and is hitting homeruns already on recruiting trail. By Battle’s Junior year we will likely be ranked in Top 20 to start the season and by season end could be one of Top 15 teams in the country if we can keep Jordan. If Battle has a senior year and even if he doesn’t by the time Mulloy is a senior coupled with the 5 guys we have coming next year we may be in the top 10 on the Vegas line to win the whole thing.

As one famous poster moniker I may soon have to change my name from Ster8462 to Title in ‘22 and ‘23.

Screw the back to back runner up bridesmaids trophy , Jordan may just bring us our first National Championship by 2023. Don’t worry if I change my moniker I won’t become so cynical like the last guy that used Title.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    estar20dawg, MBA2003 and Tentozen like this.
  18. ChiDawg3

ChiDawg3 Member

Money:
    $131
    Make that two post game press conferences in a row that Coach took issue with Wood's characterization of the team, Not coach Val's identity on defense, its BUTLER that prides itself on defense.

MBA2003, Bulldogs260 and joliebeth23 like this.
  19. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $2,165
    Thank you so much! I've really worked a lot on gaining confidence and becoming more vocal in the media room for this season, so that means a lot.

#60, bwesson15, ButlerFan89 and 5 others like this.
  20. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,707
    So Missouri beat Morehead by 18. Butler beat Morehead by 18.

Logic means Butler beats Missouri by 1?

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

#60, Insane Dawg and MBA2003 like this.