Butler Bulldogs (5-0) vs Missouri Tigers (4-1) - 11/25

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Jared Grubbs, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $659
    CD was huge off the bench. Looks like a completely different player. 8 points with a couple of 3’s and 5 boards, as well as excellent defense. Really shortened the bench; basically played 7 with Battle only getting 3 minutes, and no Baddley. Was he available?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

2. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,277
    We have mobile post defenders. That’s really all it is.

godogs91 and seadawg like this.
  3. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,058
    It's insane the difference that makes.

4. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,299
    This is correct. When the wings/guards know they can play more "freely" they can be more effective. Last year the team play defense almost in fear because there was zero inside presence. Teams now have to respect Nze and soon enough will respect Golden. That's the game changer and cannot be understated. All you have to do is watch Baldwin and Thompson in 2017-2018 and watch them last year then watch them now. They reach their defensive abilities, which are insanely strong, when they have confidence in their front court.

5. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,339
    I know the NET rankings are not out but still I think KP gives us a good approximation for our quadrant wins.

Last night was a Q1 win but could very well end up as a Q2 win by the end of the year (still obviously solid but would be nice to notch a Q1 win this early). Unfortunately, this game was a neutral game even though it should count as a road game given the fact it was basically in Missouri's backyard. Missouri is now 40th in KP and is projected to do really poorly in the SEC (Go Missouri!). They must remain top 50 for this win to be a Q1; otherwise it will be a Q2 win as long as they remain below 100 (if designated away they would only have to stay inside top 75). Team rankings has their predictive rank at 44.

Stanford, on the other hand, is currently 61 which would be a comfortable Q2 game. However, they have improved drastically in KP since the opening of the season and there might be a chance that they get inside the top 50. They will have some real opportunities in P12 play against Arizona, Colorado, Oregon (all top 30 KP) and USC and Washington (KP 50-60) to get quality wins. Team rankings has their predictive rank at 59.

znelson15 likes this.
  6. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,420
    Agree. Last year the wings had to help defend the paint because outer fives were awful thus leaving the perimeter open.

znelson15 likes this.
  7. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $737
    How ever the rest of this year plays out, I love this team win or lose because of the effort and fire they are showing so far this year

It’s so much different from last year even from the coaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

DawgPoundMac, 2xDawg and jeff like this.
  8. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,981
    anybody find a press conference after last night's game?

9. AZRPh

AZRPh New Member

Money:
    $20
    Watching KB ball handle and particularly driving towards the middle, he generally appears to have his head down targeting a spot to execute his fade away jumper in the paint. Looking to dish to an open shooter in the corner or lob to a big underneath seem to be secondary objectives. As you would suspect, opposing teams have scouted this and collapse on him before he can reach his "spot" and secondarily also nullify his ability to pass off for a viable assist opportunity. Seems to me a successful pick and roll pass or two as the defense anticipates, but does not complete, converging on KB might be effective when he invariably attempts this play.

IndyDawgs and Gregory Roach like this.
  10. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,487
    Not a comms major. Just a fan that can understand the game of basketball and don't need commentary to know if Butler is playing good defense, or passing the ball, or boxing out, or any other aspect of the game.

Do you watch games at a bar? You can't hear announcers. What's the difference?

huss587 and dawgs2014 like this.
  11. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,487
    I already conceded that point and I don't disagree.

Tentozen likes this.
  12. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,052
    From a game planning perspective, I think props have to be given for running the double stack offense early. It created wide open looks for about the first 6 -7 minutes, or so, which ended up being the difference in the game before the rock fight ensued the rest of the way.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Butler Hoops mobile app

godogs91, dippper61, Tentozen and 7 others like this.
  13. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,442
    We had more rocks, they had bricks...

godogs91 and BoyGeoff like this.
  14. Gregory Roach

Gregory Roach Active Member

Money:
    $345
    Some thoughts after last two games:

1) The ability of this team to dominate inside (relative to last season) illustrates just how atrocious Nate/Joey were. Kudos to Nzi and Golden for being the real deal!
    2) This team is deadly when moving the ball, setting/looking for screens, inside/outside (second half Golden & McDermott) and back cuts.
    3) This team is simply so-so when Baldwin is attempting his isolations (for the turn/fade jumper....others have mentioned this) or dribble penetration. When he is in dribble mode, the offense becomes stagnant with Baldwin dribbling and four observers waiting to rebound.
    4) Thompson, Nzi, Golden all attempted several high risk/high reward passes beginning about 8 mins left in first half through the balance of the second half. I appreciate the risk taking on occasion, it shows desire to attack, but the attack must recognize the strengths of the opponents D and not attack it directly. You can do that against IUPUI_Kokomo and often succeed....but not a High Major like Missou.
    5) The emergence of Tucker as a reliable point forward who rarely turns the ball over against the press and can hit free throws will win many close games this season. A very major development.
    6) The use of Nzi, David, McDermott, Tucker and Thompson together was an early experiment that is now beginning to see more PT. With that line-up, and David's ability to play positions 2-4, you have a very quick and tall team that is lights' out on defense and ball handling.

The main concern I have for this team after Morehead St and Mizzou is centered on LaValle being able to coach Baldwin. He is a gifted player that could be deadly if he optimized his game for his physical assets (speed, shooting and defense) and stopped playing to his weaknesses (height, ball handling, awareness). I understand he is a talented Senior, but he still has much to learn about himself and how to apply his capabilities. It appears a "growth opportunity" for coach and player.

I look forward to tonight's game with the matchup of Thompson vs. Terry. Should be fun to watch. Butler appears much stronger inside to my eye. I will look forward to seeing if that is an accurate impression or simply wishful thinking.

Go Dawgs!

15. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,445
    Roach -- always appreciate the thoughtful commentary after games. Just to note that it is spelled "Nze" and not "Nzi"

Gregory Roach likes this.
  16. Gregory Roach

Gregory Roach Active Member

Money:
    $345
    Spelling never one of my strong points. No way I could win a spelling bee...so I will attempt to not to play to my weakness. :(

17. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,677
    I encourage everyone to report Bulldogs260 personal attack on me. Maybe the mods will finally do something about it? Page 11 for those interested. Just totally uncalled for.

This is repeated targeted harassment and yet I have been the only one to receive a ban.

pjohnsto2003 likes this.
  18. Bulldogs260

Bulldogs260 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,130
    Block me if you don’t like it. Pretty simple
    Btw I know your into keep track of Lavall record away from home. He’s just a bit above 60% win in neutral floor games.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

19. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,302
    I wouldn't have posted it, but this post is more indication he wasn't wrong.

mwall787 and Bulldogs260 like this.
  20. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,583
    I’d be frustrated, as well. Not sure that warrants agreeing with the post, though. Civility goes a long way and I’m not sure that is asking too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

ButlerNut likes this.