Jared Grubbs

Butler Bulldogs (5-2) vs Brown Bears (6-3) - 12/5

Jared Grubbs, Dec 5, 2018

Settled
  1. Daddysmack

Daddysmack Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $347

How is this a necessary post. Not helpful, and just flat out mean.

WMUDog and SpartanDawgs like this.
  2. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,531
    I can sum up this game in one word. Meh!

3. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,738
    Did I miss anything fun?

4. Daddysmack

Money:
    $347
    Agree. They get to walk away with a win, so just move on to the next one.

5. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,780
    Oof. That was a bit of a snooze fest. One of the sleepiest games at Hinkle that I can remember in a long time, at least out of ones that I've attended. But a win's a win.

I'm still rather worried about our offense. Just seems that it doesn't take too much effort/strategy to take us out of what we want to do, which leads to so many possessions ending with a high ballscreen hoping for Kamar or PJ or someone else to create something.

While our defense was solid tonight and has been really all year, think we got somewhat lucky that Brown missed so many shots. Seemed like as it was happening, they had quite a few open 3s.

6. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    Go to the profile. Look at the posts. There’s like 7 of them, and every single one is criticism and calling out Butler or more often singling out one of our players.

There is no attempt to provide insight, no attempt to provide commentary, no nothing except comments like “Fowler sucks”, “Butler is an embarrassment” etc.

I can disagree with Bumba, Insane Dawg (I actually really like Insane Dawg despite our differences) and some others, but I respect that they care about having discussion and they unquestionably care about Butler. They have different opinions than mine, but they actually come here with something to say. I would never make a personal attack because I don’t like their opinion on basketball. I suspect they are wonderful people.

This is different. There is no evidence of anything like that from rperk. It’s strictly harsh criticism, strictly of individuals, that doesn’t even try to explain why that opinion exists.

I can’t fathom why a grown man or woman would come here for that purpose and I find it pathetic.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

7. crimsonfal

crimsonfal Member

Money:
    $7
    I am a little lost on the media coverage, initially said it was on Fox Sports Indy etc.... so I try my best to tie into a feed, with no results.... then I by chance go to the main Fox feed and I am at Hinkle.....glad to see the game but is there any ryme or reason....? lost in SE Florida

8. Daddysmack

Money:
    $347
    Agree with your comments about his posts.......new to the board, maybe no insight. But you didn't call him out for that.....you called him out for being old and told him to get a life. That is not cool, call him out for opinions that can be argued or discussed. We can't debate his birth certificate.

WMUDog likes this.
  9. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,589
    If it came off like that, I meant no criticism because he is that age and I apologize to anyone who was offended by that. I mentioned the age because I would expect someone who is an adult to above insulting college kids. It was a comment on the lack of maturity demonstrated in the post, not an inherent problem with rperk being 62.

Thank you for mentioning that you had a problem with it and explaining why, I wouldn’t want anyone else to feel targeted by what I said.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    I Am Butler, WMUDog, Tentozen and 2 others like this.
  10. Daddysmack

Money:
    $347
    Actually I totally agree with you there. Sometimes we forget these are kids. I am just as guilty as anyone else. But these are college kids first and basketball players second. We too easily judge these kids. So for that, you are 100% right.........these kids are busting their butts for this team. Go Dawgs!

BUcheer, Tentozen, NCJon and 2 others like this.
  11. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,589
    Right. I think we certainly do forget that. I do think though that 99% of the criticism that gets thrown around on the board is at least offered with an explanation. While I often disagree with those, at least they are valid opinions. That’s what made this so flagrant. There was no point being made and that’s a messed up thing for a fan to say to a college player.

12. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,414
    From the sounds of it, kinda glad I didn't watch.

Daddysmack likes this.
  13. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,957
    I don’t even know how to explain this game. It felt like they were playing poorly, but outside of another cold shooting night I don’t really know why I think they played poorly. It felt like there was no energy in the game, but their defensive intensity was actually pretty solid most of the night. I liked how Baddley and Thompson played. Baldwin didn’t really try to do a whole lot because he didn’t need to. Jorgensen was his typical self, taking a few questionable shots but overall having a very productive game.

McDermott was ice cold from deep but I don’t recall him taking a shot I didn’t want him taking. Butler tried to make an effort to go inside early but got nothing there so they kind of forgot about it as the game went on. Offensive post play certainly leaves a lot to be desired. David had a couple of nice offensive possessions but overall looked more like last year’s version than the one dunking on people in Atlantis.

I’m not sure what I expected to see coming in but this was just a very meh game. I can’t even remember the last time I was bored at a Butler game, but that’s really the best way to describe this game. I thought it was a boring game.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

14. kac12568

kac12568 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,709
    I stopped off at the grocery store on the way home from the game against Brown. I saw milk cartons with pictures of Nate and Joey. They have both been missing since the first few games of the season. I truly hope we find them soon.

bumba and Hinkle like this.
  15. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,047
    That game felt ugly and boring, but upon upon reviewing the numbers, it was not immediately clear why. They shot 52% from 2P range - not great but not bad at all. They shot 33% from 3 - again, not great, but not really poor either. They shot 77% from the FT line - solid. They turned it over on only 11% of possessions - excellent.

So why did it feel like a root canal?

I think it was a combination of (a) the big lead early and failure to extend it; (b) the sleepy environment; and (c) the pace of the game. There were only 63 possessions in the game. An average college game has around 70.

Butler is now averaging just 66 possessions per game this season, which ranks 317th in the country. This is neither inherently good nor bad, but it does mean the games will feel slow and it may at times *feel* like the offense is playing worse than it really is and that the defense is performing better than t is.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    NCJon likes this.
  16. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,957
    Brown came in 47th in adjusted tempo. It’s kind of shocking that the game had so few possessions.

Hinkle likes this.
  17. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,653
    Didn’t see the game as I’m in Buenos Aires, Argentina. However stat line doesn’t look too bad considering McD had an off night on his shot. Only seven turnovers. Looks like Baddley, PJ and AT were solid. KB shouldn’t take that many threes. Don’t understand Brunk’s numbers. Fowler’s is what Fowler does.

Somehow the five spot has to be fixed.

18. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,475
    Campbell Donovan was on fiya

shoeevv, harvesting and BU_NeonHat like this.
  19. WMUDog

WMUDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $233
    I was just thinking that. I remember posting something about the possibility of their combined scoring to equal Baldwin.

20. BU_NeonHat

BU_NeonHat Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,303
    Took my buddy to his first Butler game last night. I regret how boring it was. It was pretty painful to watch. But we won so yay

SpartanDawgs likes this.