Jared Grubbs

Butler Bulldogs (5-2) vs Brown Bears (6-3) - 12/5

Jared Grubbs, Dec 5, 2018

Settled
  1. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $254
    Think an opportunity to see more of David was missed last night with McDermott not shooting well and not playing particularly well on defensive end. Even though David did not do much either; there was a point midway through second half that he should have finished the game. Just my opinion. I don’t see what difference it would have made. He needs some time to play his way in.
    JGB was lost last night defensively and his offensive stats are non existent ytd. I expect he will be out of rotation when Tucker is eligible.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

2. ThePioneerLeague

ThePioneerLeague Active Member

Money:
    $332
    Our half court offense is cringe-worthy most possessions. Maybe that will change once Tucker is eligible but I'm not counting on it. Watching this team get a rebound and walk it up the floor, or take 9 seconds to find an inbounder once the ball goes through the net is maddening. I am constantly yelling "go, go, gooo!" at my TV. I would rather the team play faster/push fast breaks over Kamar taking 25 foot 3's after dribbling the shot clock out. I'll take a questionable shot on the fast break over that alternative every single time.

Insane Dawg and bmradio99 like this.
  3. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,584
    Without looking at stats, the game to me felt like they were trying some new stuff (more low post touches), emphasis on better ball movement (after SLU) and almost too unselfish play leading to longer possessions. Which contributed to not great shots late in the clock and the sense that they didn’t play well. Felt more like a closed scrimmage that they knew they would win, but needed to practice on some things—possibly for a game down the road.

4. IndieDawg

IndieDawg Member

Money:
    $1,761
    I couldn’t go last night so watched it on a bit of a delay. I actually fell asleep watching it. That’s never happened before.

5. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,189

Agree, push when it is there....but pull it back out if it is not. We force too much at times and it is smarter at those times to pull it back out. We do have some shooters. Going in to the game I was looking to see if someone on the staff had told Kamar to stop with the over-dibbling, one on one stuff. Didn't see much of that vs. Brown. Hopefully all of that is in the past. Don't mind Kamar going one on one, when he's got an advantage or nice match up, but not building an entire offense around that. Offense last night still stagnated. Too much east / west movement. Might want to try a little north / south, especially like last night when we have two guys much taller than anyone on Brown. Lots of options available. Running offense through the big men....at least once in a while, would be nice. And why not play both bigs at the same time, at times, just as another twist. Might need something like that in the Big East. Wish staff was a little more creative on offense in running sets that play to the strengths of the roster. But taking the ball at of Kamar's hands (stopping the over dribbling) is a big improvement, if it lasts.

6. DawgFan

DawgFan Active Member

Money:
    $201

dawgs2014 likes this.
  7. indienapolis

indienapolis Active Member

Money:
    $209
  8. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,578
    highlights or boredom lights...

9. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,959
    Did my reverse betting mojo and had to sweat this one out. Up 14, Donovan drains a three under a minute to go. I mean, I'm happy for the kid, but way to blow my nut. Then the phantom foul and free throws by Brown at the end sealed an ATS victory.

Phew!

10. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,131
    I really like Thompson's feel for the offense. It seemed like he was running the show more last night.

Did anyone else notice the play last night where Thompson had the ball and pointed to McDermott and told him to go to the opposite corner? Then AT penetrated the defense, drew 3 defenders and kicked it out to McDermott in the corner for a wide open 3. (I actually think you can see most of that play at the 2:45 mark on Butler highlights video).

This happened right as Jordan Cornette mentioned how good of a floor general Thompson was. It wasn't the most important play ever. But it was a perfect example of how Thompson saw something and made a play happen.

11. Eric

Eric Active Member

Money:
    $3,042
    I saw that. I was surprised that no defender went with McD. AT made it pretty obvious what he was wanting to do.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Butler Hoops mobile app

12. Tucker Jordan (PSU Echo)

Tucker Jordan (PSU Echo) Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,923
    I was Dawgs to cover. Glad I was late. Congrats on your win.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Butler Hoops mobile app

OldSchoolDawg1983 likes this.
  13. bu1973

bu1973 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $447
    I echo everyone's thoughts about last night that it was a meh. I really thought that they would come out with blood in their eyes after St.Louis but that was not the case. We were up 28-11 at about 8 minutes and the rest of the game was a push. I have harped on this going back to Brad's time here: why do we pass the ball to the wing and then slip under the defender to go to the corner. As the last four coaches have all done the same thing this is obviously structured into the offense as a regular feature. For the life of me I can nor understand why. Can someone please explain what the movement is supposed to accomplish, because it is there on almost every possession? Why not screen and if they switch try to pin the switching defender who is then out of position. The center is not the only position that can screen. Make the defender make a decision, and perhaps a mistake.
    I was glad to see us look inside but it is often too late. We do not anticipate the double on the ball and that our big will be open.
    If we have to depend on hitting threes to win, it is going to be a frustrating season. It is my hope Tucker will add a dimension to the offense, and I sincerely hope he is not just a better shooting McDermott and that he has a creative dimension to his game. Or that one of our bigs can learn to make things happen inside.
    A win is a win, but I am afraid against team like Brown, that is not really enough.

seadawg likes this.
  14. SRG

SRG Member

Money:
    $35,770
    Thoughts on the Brown game....

15. ThePioneerLeague

ThePioneerLeague Active Member

Money:
    $332
    I agree that there was less Kamar pounding the ball into the earth on Wednesday. He still took too many long 3's for my liking though. At the end of the shot clock I would love for him to try to get into the lane and either get all the way, or stop for his fade-away jumper. Those are usual money in the bank.

What we aren't getting is the happy medium -- a good shot 10-20 seconds into the shot clock. I.e. not rushing something early, but also not taking a contested chuck at the end of the clock. It seems we either take something very quickly or at the end of the clock. And I know that is the way a lot of coaches preach to their teams, but I just don't think it's working for BU right now. It's like if we don't get a shot early, we are content to be passive for the next 20 seconds until we have to throw something up. Quicker decision-making on the catch would help IMO.

16. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,135
    I’ve noticed the same. If we don’t get option number 1 there is no option number 2.

17. kac12568

kac12568 Active Member

Money:
    $3,494
    I disagree, there is an option #2, and we all know that when we take a number 2, it is going to stink more often than not....