Butler Bulldogs (6-0) vs. Stanford Cardinal (7-0) - 11/26

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by jkcdawgs, Nov 25, 2019.

1. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,174
    Let’s get it started. Stanford up 20 with 2 minutes left against the Sooners.

Haven’t watched most of this one, anybody have thoughts on Stanford?

ButlerNut likes this.
  2. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Active Member

Money:
    $231
    They shoot the three really really well— above 40% I think. They’ve got a guy named jones who is essentially their McDermott. All he does is snipe 3s at a 53% clip. Terry is their jack of all trades 6’1” freshman that also shoots it really well. Leading scorer is Da Silva, a good matchup with Nze. They’ve got a really balanced attack and while I don’t know much about their defense this season, they really took it to Oklahoma and pressured them into lots of TOs.

Biggest emphasis will be on closing out around the arc, not sagging off too much, and rebounding. They out rebounded OU 48-28

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

3. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,239
    Wow. Did not expect this one.

I think most ppl predicted Butler vs. Stanford but as the 0-1 teams.

Let’s see how a freshman or a shooter handles being guarded by AT and/or Kamar.

4. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,298
    I was too drunk and too engaged with a gay guy about his sexual preferences to pay much attention, but I did take note that Stanford whopped 'em. I looked up from time to time but was being told explicit stories of nights in midtown Atlanta that I'll never be able to erase. I guess that's what happens when you go to margarita mondays. Not sure why the guy let me in on his shenanigans. But, holy God did I learn about the Atlanta gay underworld. Oh well, I'm better for it and he bought me a drink.

Oh, about the game. We should win. Oklahoma was flat and paid for it. We come out more focused we should be fine. Oklahoma was awful tonight. We play even half way to our potential we will win. Leeeeeeeeeeeegggggggggggggggggggooooooooooooo.

theenforcer13, Tentozen and WMUDog like this.
  5. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,462
    BU should be the more physical team in this game. A Thompson-Terry match up should be fun to watch.

6. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $733
    Dang just saw game is on 7:30 mountain time and on ESPN 2
    All plays out perfect for me to get the princess down to bed and watch the game

A lot of things looking good for making the tourney with the focus I I see the coaches and players having this year

Until tomorrow........go dawgs

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Tentozen and bmradio99 like this.
  7. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,487
    You’re engaged? Congrats!

But seriously, Dawgs should win tomorrow, and Oklahoma will wake up against Mizzou.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

8. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,298
    Hell I probably could have been. Although he told me to get a hair cut. It was too much dude. I don't give one hell about any type of life one leads. I don't care about your political affiliations. I don't care if you make love to elephants. I just...I just don't need the details while eating a steak taco and putting down a marg. But damn, I'm haunted now.

MBA2003, BHayden, ButlerNut and 2 others like this.
  9. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,239
    Hope Mizzou beats Oklahoma for Butler’s sake.

BHayden, TheDawgDub95, Shimmy and 2 others like this.
  10. godogs91

godogs91 Active Member

Money:
    $3,247
    KenPom has Butler -5 and 67%. It looks like Stanford jumped from 79 to 61 after their beatdown of the Sooners.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Butler Hoops mobile app

Shimmy, SpartanDawgs and ButlerFan89 like this.
  11. MilkSteak

MilkSteak Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,617
    Didn't watch the game, but it looks like Stanford was pretty much in control from the tip. Pretty surprising. Can't figure out this Oklahoma team.

Insane Dawg likes this.
  12. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,685
    Thus far, Butler has played a slate of teams that, as a whole, are bad at shooting threes. Missouri, Morehead, and New Orleans are each near the bottom of the NCAA in 3P%, Wofford is right around the NCAA average, and while Minnesota and (shockingly) IUPUI are slightly above average in terms of percentage, neither is particularly good.

Stanford is different in that regard. At least thus far, they've been elite from deep, connecting on 43% of attempts and ranking 9th in the NCAA (though, to be fair, they don't make a ton of three point attempts). The shooting comes from several places, too: they've got several shooters hitting at a high rate.

Butler has been somewhat fortunate thus far in 3 point defense, and, again, hasn't really played a team that shoots it well to begin with. It seems inevitable that'll balance out tonight, and Butler will need to play well enough in the other areas to make up for it. Look for them to turn Stanford over; Stanford is turning it over at a fairly high rate, especially considering the competition they've played.

13. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,339
    Interesting contrast with other teams we played although I would argue that the threat from Wofford (high volume from 3 ) meant we passed our first test in making the degree of difficulty higher than normal from the 3 pt line. This is good though that we are playing teams with a variety of styles; the better we can perform against varied styles the more I believe this defense is for real (it sure looks like a legit defense at this point)

I know there is an active debate around whether defense can control whether teams shoot well or poorly from 3 (some think it is mostly luck). A good counterpoint the Celtics, who have been consistently in the top 5 or so in 3 pt defense the past 5-7 years, so there certainly appears to be at least some ways to mitigate good 3 pt shooting.

Hinkle likes this.
  14. seadawg

Money:
    $4,462
    BU's defensive flexibility will be the difference. Stanford will not shoot 43% from beyond the arc in this game.

MBA2003 likes this.
  15. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,685
    It's one of my favorite basketball debate topics. It's completely counter-intuitive to me, but the stats suggest that teams can't do a whole lot to influence whether three point attempts go in or not. What matters instead, stat-heads tend to argue, is that you limit three point attempts, which defenses can control. So far, Butler hasn't done a great job limiting three point attempts (though they've been slightly above average at limiting threes).

Interestingly, as I've posted before, one of the things that changed in Belein's last few years at Michigan - when Michigan went from meh defensively to elite - was that they started to severely limit three point attempts, ranking in the top 9 each of Belein's last three seasons after ranking sub-200 for several years before that. I would love to see Butler trend that direction. It is the analytically savvy thing to do.

Geoffrey Bannister likes this.
  16. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,418
    I’m more into the visual even though I was a math major and banker but what I saw last night in the first half was a team that was incredible on closing out on the arc. Maybe stats showed Missouri took a lot of threes in the first half and luck wasn’t with them but they weren’t clean looks

MBA2003, BHayden and knobcreekfan like this.
  17. seadawg

Money:
    $4,462
    Precisely

18. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $521
    Yeah, not much else Marquette could have done to defend Rotnei’s shot and luck was not on their side. But certainly there would have to be some value placed on the level of defense when the shot was taken to determine just how much the defense impacts the shooter’s “luck”.

19. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,056
    The public money is overwhelming going to butler -3.5. I would expect it to rise as the afternoon goes on.

20. JCA 2013

JCA 2013 Active Member

Money:
    $185
    I think this is a game to go smaller. It might be asking a lot for both Nze and Golden to have to do chasing around the perimeter. Instead, maybe a heavier dose of Christian David and some Tucker at the 4 is in order. It certainly would get more spacing on the other end of the floor as well. It was a little frustrating last night to see so many turnovers when players were trying to force passes between defenders bunched near the paint. I felt it limited Nze's effectiveness.

Tentozen likes this.