Butler Bulldogs (6-0) vs. Stanford Cardinal (7-0) - 11/26

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by jkcdawgs, Nov 25, 2019.

1. harvesting

harvesting Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $200
    Well then we should most definitely shift the trash talk another player. There’s not one player on the court who is without a mistake. The make or break of a game doesn’t fall to one player. One may score the winning point in the last minutes but let’s not forget it took an entire game, and a team full of players to get there. The truth is no one knows what happens behind the scenes and why the coaches make the decisions they make but assuredly they are paid well to make them. Sean was asked to go back in the game as soon as he was back to bench. This is a mentally tough kid who just 15 min or so before had an excruciating injury that he thought just ended his season. That’s not just pain that’s a whole lot of emotion. Why does he get a pass? Because he earned it. He didn’t “give up the backcut, that nearly cost us the game.” BUT DIDN’T because his head wasn’t in the game and we ALL know that so again...there’s that pass. Your anger maybe should be directed at whoever did the highlighting.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2. gmoser1210

gmoser1210 Active Member

Money:
    $345
    I’m reading all of this bickering and I’m a little confused. I’m pretty sure I watched us win this game, but I’ve been on some cough syrup. We won, right?

3. harvesting

Money:
    $200
    Yes. And someone on the other team may or may not have traveled.

troggy, bwesson15, Tentozen and 3 others like this.
  4. huss587

huss587 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $371
    For the sake of posting something meaningless and not related to this game (as it appears that’s where this thread has/is heading)... I’d like to throw out this comparison for Tucker: Tyler Lewis.

Obviously it’s apples and oranges with regard to style of play/positions... Tucker also has more talent and potential. But in terms of expectations, rankings out of HS and how divisive people’s opinions are on them - it seems pretty similar... I’m also aware that this comparison solves nothing.

I guess if it means we’d play in the 2nd wknd of the tourney during Tucker’s remaining tenure (as we did in Tyler’s last season), then I’ll take it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. ButlerHoopsFan

ButlerHoopsFan Active Member

Money:
    $231
    With regards to Tucker. Like I said I think he dribbles too much. His defensive lapses are a thing, but I think it is ignorant to say we always have 4 other elite defenders on the court at the same time. Tucker is a rhythm player and as Willis has said we don’t let him get into that rhythm. My concern is with him and Kamar in the court together. That is two very ball dominate people on the court. We showed GREAT ball movement at times but it can stop with both of them in an Instant. Butler has great room to grow but there is a lot to be happy about at this time. My complaints show that we are looking way to into the issues of this team

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

6. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,873
    I have watched that play repeatedly, and in frame by frame, and there is no travel there. His left foot plants and remains his pivot foot the entire time.

BoyGeoff and Staxawax like this.
  7. bu1973

bu1973 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $584
    The fun and constant challenge of basketball is to find a path to always improve because basketball is a game of mistakes. You miss half of your shots, 25% or more of your free throws, turn the ball over 10-20% of you possessions, give up offensive rebounds and open shots because of mistakes in positioning or poor decisions. There is always a best, good, OK and poor option on every movement of the ball or the 10 players. And the quality of that decision may be different based upon score, time of the game, who made the last shot, momentum, etc. Winning is often not a question of are your x's better than the other team's os, but can you find a way to have each player make the best decisions with each movement. And the tough part is that the decisions must be instant and instinctive, not usually carefully contemplated because by the time you think about it, the moment has passed. That is what Butler has thrived on for two decades. As Bobby Knight once said, the opponent is not the other team but the game itself because no one has played a perfect game. So discussing errors is never wasted because it is a chance to learn. Of course, that is also based on the assumption that Coach reads the board for our expert opinions on everything. His loss if he doesn't.

8. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,277
    I’m not saying Sean SHOULD be criticized, I’m asking why it’s a double standard for so many people on this message board.

Fact of the matter though if he was in the game, he needs to make plays, regardless of what happened earlier in the game. I’m sure Sean would say the same himself. Saying he earned a pass doesn’t make any sense at all.

And for the record I’m a fan of all of the guys who put on the jersey. I don’t understand the negativity directed towards any of them. I’m simply stating that it’s not being dished out on a pro rata basis and that frustrates me.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  9. harvesting

Money:
    $200
    You’re correct Sean would say the same. The pass is not for the error, the pass is for the criticism of it.
    Your point was very directed and specific to be taken neutrally.
    It never is dished out equally. And I’ve come to expect that it never will be.

10. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Active Member

Money:
    $231
    I’m a fan of tucker for the most part and don’t really understand the extreme loathing for the guy. I initially thought he had several lapses last night and I actually had a whole post drafted pointing them out on the highlight video. HOWEVER, the play that got him pulled in the 2nd half was actually a blown coverage by kamar, as he was in the post covering for Golden who was hedging on a screen and was late on the rotation. Tucker was just the closest player to close out on Terry and it looked like it was his fault. Not the case. However, the one at the end of the game is likely more his fault when Jones sunk the 3 with a minute to go. But McD got burned off the dribble (bad ankle) so Tuck tried to prevent a layup— albeit leaving their best 3 pt shooter open. Ease up a bit. Had tuck not helped it would have been a layup and people would be saying “wtf where’s the help side from tucker”. No he’s not perfect, yes he is an attribute to this team. And he really has improved on the defensive side since last year.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  11. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Active Member

Money:
    $231
    Here’s that highlight video. I mentioned above. 0:57 and 2:35

ButlerNut likes this.
  12. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,052
    As a team, we had more trouble with the roll, by Da Silva, than any other game that I can recall off the top of my head.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Butler Hoops mobile app

13. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,299
    The Yo-yoing of him is the biggest problem and I don't know why LaVall feels the need to use him as the sacrificial lamb every damn game. But, because he does, we'll never get to see prime time Tucker. He'll never get the opportunity here to show what his full game can do with LaVall is yanking him every damn minute. And, because this place is LaVall is holier than the cross, it won't get questioned by many, and most will look to point at Tucker for anything and everything that goes wrong. LaVall just has to swallow whatever this is and just let the kid be great. If he fails, then by all means, people can say what they want. But I swear to God if LaVall would just give him 8-10 straight minutes we would see wonderful things. Problem is...it doesn't seem that will ever happen. Which is a shame.

14. FRENCH DAWG

FRENCH DAWG Active Member

Money:
    $234
    He traveled.

15. thebulldogs

thebulldogs Active Member

Money:
    $325
    Yeah! If LJ had half the knowledge of willis, we'd maybe be a decent team this year! #freeprimetimetucker.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Butler Hoops mobile app

16. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,420
    And Sean McDermott would have been cut four years ago.

17. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,687
    You serious Clark?

18. FRENCH DAWG

FRENCH DAWG Active Member

Money:
    $234
    Here is my Butler coaching grade for Lavall:

2017-2018: B+. NCAA tournament plus a win. A very good year.
    2018-2019: C. Lost too many close games. Sorta like narrowing a multiple choice exam to two choices and always selecting the wrong one.
    2019-2020: B+. Off to a very good start but time will tell.

2xDawg likes this.
  19. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,462
    In keeping with the holiday spirit, the answer is clear. LJ must be replaced with Tucker serving as player-coach. Willis could serve as special assistant to the head coach. :D

fdr, Sidd Finch, bwesson15 and 4 others like this.
  20. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,420
    Over drinking and gambling.