Butler Bulldogs (6-0) vs. Stanford Cardinal (7-0) - 11/26

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by jkcdawgs, Nov 25, 2019.

1. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,485
    I like this idea. Many final four runs for y'all to celebrate.

I said it in another post somewhere, but I really impressed with the improvement being shown by the staff this year. I think LaVall is really growing into the role. The only thing I'm not pleased about is the Tucker treatment as I believe he can be used multiple ways and in better ways. But, I have no complaints other than that. You can see wild improvement in Thompson and Golden and even Baldwin seems like a little different player than last year.

2. Bulldogs260

Bulldogs260 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,209
    Dude cmon I like tucker too but man. He still has some bad defensive plays and dribbles into a mess. He has to fix that which he is getting better at but he doesn’t just come in and dominate like you think, and he has gotten enough time to do so. I’m not saying he can’t because I think his ceiling is very high still

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

3. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,442
    I think that if they had just given Chrishawn more time in the flow he would have blossomed...

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  4. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,498
    Perhaps one of us should keep track of mistakes between Sean, Tucker and David to keep everyone happy.

When McD got hurt at the 3:45 mark of the first half we were up by nine . Stanford tied the game by half time. With about eight minutes left in the game the Dawgs were down by seven when LJ asked Sean if he was able to go back in. The game had swung by 16 points while Sean was out. Sean didn’t score last night and hobbled after he hurt his ankle. What changed causing the 16 point swing? I surmise part of Stanford’s game plan was to defensively deny Sean’s threes which worked and then they changed their defensive scheme when he went out. Then when he came back in they went back to focusing on Sean which opened the driving lane for Kamar and he went one on one to finish out the game. I also recall AT hit a couple of floaters as well around the eight minute mark. Maybe LJ or one of the assistants saw what was happening or maybe analytics was used. Who knows.

Look I want Tucker to be as good as he is capable of being and actually be the best player on the floor.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    troggy, harvesting and 2xDawg like this.
  5. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $13,498
    But he couldn’t jump.

6. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,093
    To me, the biggest swing was in the first half when Thompson had to leave the game with 2 fouls. All of Terry’s first half points came when Thompson was either out or guarding someone else.

fdr, DawgPoundMac, 2xDawg and 9 others like this.
  7. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,228
    Hey man, he took his shot and missed... or not.

thevinrod likes this.
  8. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $677
    I don’t think he should’ve been kicked off the team. 10 games would’ve been enough, but BU didn’t want the public black eye. Must’ve been easier to kick him out of the university.

9. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,622
    As much as it hurt the team, this action was totally appropriate IMO. I was a huge supporter of CH, but after a 2nd incident he was very fortunate to not be charged criminally.

10. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $677
    Wasn’t aware of the first issue. What happened?

11. chc3

chc3 Active Member

Money:
    $173
    He actually changed pivot feet. That's a travel. But it's irrelevant since it wasn't called. Missed calls happen all the time. Good teams play through missed calls. Butler in the last 10 to 15 years has had an attitude of playing through and not allowing calls/no calls to affect them.
    Sent from my SM-N950U using Butler Hoops mobile app

2xDawg likes this.
  12. Baseline

Baseline Active Member

Money:
    $421
    Are you a dumbass? Look at the stats.

13. Bulldogs260

Bulldogs260 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,209
    Well to answer that question yes I probably am a dumbass. With that being said your initial post was “ I wish Jordan tucker was a good shooter”
    He’s a really good shooter bud, sit down and watch some games this year and get back to me

14. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,278
    He’s a career 36.4% shooter from behind the arc. That is not “really good”. It’s mediocre to good.

Hopefully he starts making them at a higher clip this year and improves that number to 38-40%.

40%+ is really good.

BoyGeoff and estar20dawg like this.
  15. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,775
    Mostly agree, with some context. Myles Powell is something like a 36% career shooter and I’d categorize him as not just a good shooter but an elite one because he’s taking an absurd number of attempts year after year and with a very high degree of difficulty. If you can make 35%+ from deep at high volume, you’re a great shooter and you should shoot every chance you get.

And therein lies my frustration with McDermott - dude needs to shoot more. He should shoot enough that he shoots himself down to a high 30s percentage. If you’re shooting like 43% over the last 2+ seasons, like he is, you’re not shooting enough, period, no matter how much you’re shooting.

16. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,278
    Thats fair - but Tucker isn’t taking the shots of Powell, or if he is, he’s chucking instead of finding a better shot.

It’s sort of the Campbell vs. Clarke debate... Pete was always balanced and had his feet set. Rot was like beyond NBA and fading away and falling to the side and still burying them.

I think Rot is probably the better shooter.

17. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,775
    Totally agree - 36% at Tucker’s volume is not enough to consider him “really good”.

18. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $13,498
    Sean definitely needs to shoot a lot more. I’ll take 35% volume three shooter everyday. Not sure why LJ doesn’t get on him to shoot more.

Powell is a different breed altogether. His range is otherworldly and he can take over a game.

19. schoops

schoops Active Member

Money:
    $230
    Sean shooting a 3 has to be the most efficient shot we have. I feel like getting him looks needs to be an even greater priority in the offense. I'm not sure that it's just on him to shoot more.

harvesting and Hinkle like this.
  20. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,102
    Mostly agree here, although I like the fact that the extra passes from him are resulting in easy looks/buckets from other players. Sometimes, the threat of the three going up is as effective as the three point shot itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

troggy, harvesting and Denverdawg like this.