Butler Bulldogs (6-2) vs Northern Illinois (5-3) - 12/8

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Lukas Harkins, Dec 7, 2018.

1. indienapolis

indienapolis Active Member

Money:
    $303
    MSUDawg likes this.
  2. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,064
    Keep in mind that he will be lagging behind in conditioning. There is such a thing as “game shape,” and a guy with 14 minutes played ever at this level ain’t in it. My guess is, barring foul troubles or injuries elsewhere, he plays about 2 5-6 minute spurts in the first half and one 5-6 minute spurt in the second. If he plays over 20 minutes, then we are either getting barrel-bent or he is manna from heaven.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

pjohnsto2003 likes this.
  3. oldstyle1908

oldstyle1908 Active Member

Money:
    $2,951
    Loved the shooting and always glad to get the W. I just wish Baldwin would attack the basket more. He is so much more effective whether it is a jumpshot, postup or layup than he is dribbling and settling for a late shot clock 3. Don’t get me wrong if it is an open 3 then take it. Otherwise exploit your strength and attack the basket!

Mad_Dawg 48 and SRG like this.
  4. JCA 2013

JCA 2013 Active Member

Money:
    $185
    I've been telling my Butler buddies that I think he seems a step slower this year. I also think for whatever reason the coaching staff has had all the guys sagging off a step more than last season. I think Kamar's defense is best when he's right up on a guy and can force them to go where he wants them to. Basically he's better when he's the aggressor rather than reacting.

5. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,606
    It appears LJ's defensive approach has been slightly altered. This BU team is probably less of a physical presence. KB is also much more of a focus now that can ill-afford to be lost by committing fouls. The greater factor seems to be KB allowing the game to come to him and trusting his teammates more and more. I think we have seen that in the past couple of games. Honestly, KB forcing the issue less is a good thing IMHO.

6. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,677
    He definitely looks slower. I wonder if adding 20-25 pounds of muscle has impacted his quickness? Agree with you on the sagging D too. Baldwin needs to be on top of guys pressuring them. I can't think of any fast break run outs off steals he's had this year. Used to be good for one or two of those a game

BHayden likes this.
  7. JCA 2013

JCA 2013 Active Member

Money:
    $185
    I agree, I don't love him as the primary initiator of the offense.

8. JCA 2013

JCA 2013 Active Member

Money:
    $185
    Yeah it's been frustrating to see guys getting a free two steps at him and then seeing him get ole'ed.

9. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $667
    Think that’s why it’s critical AT stays out of foul trouble against IU.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

10. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,873
    I dont think he is any slower, I think it's just that Thompson is picking up the primary ball handler (and doing a hell of a job by the way) as the coaching is prioritizing keeping Kamar out of foul trouble.

11. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,744
    Kamar didn’t gain weight. He maintained his weight but cut his fat. Idea that he’s slower this season is absurd.

12. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,125
    This is absurd. A college football player can play in 4 games, or basically 1/3 of the season, and still be red-shirted.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

13. seadawg

Money:
    $4,606
    247 listed KB at 175 lbs. while in high school. As a frosh Butler listed KB at 170 lbs., but now at 195 lbs. Were numbers fudged? Perhaps. He does appear to have gained weight and definition. Do I think he has lost quickness or speed? Absolutely not.

shoeevv likes this.
  14. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,744
    Indy star article on the new strength and conditioning coach said Kamar was 193 at end of last season and 193 at beginning of this season. % body fat down ~4%

estar20dawg likes this.
  15. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,510
    Looked really good in this game.....direct result of the ball going through the hoop. 27 assists on 34 field goals. Pretty darn good ball movement. So much better than one on one, break your man down basketball. Guess basketball really is a team game. Man-to-man defense is much better than last year. Seem to be helping more rather than just playing straight up man. Brunk showing signs of "protecting" the paint, although still a work in progress. He's only going to get better. Night and day from that debacle in St. Louis. Only shot 10 free throws, but that probably is a result of the hot shooting. Need to get that number up (working through the offense) when the ball isn't dropping quite as often. Hopefully we'll see some consistency with this brand of basketball moving forward. I kind of like the way we played with both Baddley and David on the floor at the same time. I don't see David as the defensive liability some have mentioned. He's certainly not the worst defender on the team. Will be interesting to see how Tucker is integrated into the game plan. Hope he comes as advertised. Next greatest objective is to beat that fricking I.U. Their "we're now national title contenders with Romeo" fan base needs to be put back in the place.

Bernie44 and Tentozen like this.
  16. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    Being a bad defender and not knowing where to be *look* like different things.

17. seadawg

Money:
    $4,606

18. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,744
    I'm not saying he gained no weight between high school graduation and the end of his sophomore year. I have no idea. I'm just saying that he definitely did not gain weight between his sophomore and junior seasons, so the idea that he's slower now than he was last year doesn't make much sense.

seadawg likes this.
  19. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,744
    I'm sure he's not conditioned to play 35 minutes, but I'd think he's in fine condition to go full speed for 20. That said, I kind of doubt he sees even 15 minutes of action unless he's lighting it up. I'd guess it's two four or so minute spurts or so. But on an over-under of 10 minutes played, I'd take the under.

seadawg likes this.
  20. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,510

Don't see that at all with David, at least not on a consistent basis. Playing man to man, how do you not know where to be on D? Got any examples? I've still got the game on the DVR. If you're talking about help side defense....there are several you can point to on this roster who miss that one at times.

estar20dawg likes this.