Jared Grubbs

Butler Bulldogs (6-2) vs Utah Utes (6-1) - 12/5

Jared Grubbs, Dec 4, 2017

Settled
  1. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,044
    Martin made this comment in the Indy Star that might be quite revealing- he said he has been playing with a " free mind".

DawgPoundMac likes this.
  2. OldSchoolDawg1983

OldSchoolDawg1983 Member

Money:
    $143
    With KM's budding non-conference rep, he will inevitably face more rigorous double-teams from physical, bump and grind Big East competition. Villanova, Creighton, Xavier, Seton Hall, and Georgetown will not allow Kelan to roam free and pick his shots, much like SLU and Utah did. We're in a much tougher league than the PAC-12. KB is the critical player here.......he will have to intelligently, and without pressing, create offense with his athleticism when our BE opponents work on taking Kelan out of his comfort zone.

jarik likes this.
  3. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,910
    Neither Kelan or Big Cat are naturally wired to be vocal leaders, but clearly Vall has gotten them to grow into those roles. Noticed that Tyler is now walking the anthem lineup and greeting each player. That’s what you love seeing from a senior.

joliebeth23 likes this.
  4. bu1973

bu1973 Active Member

Money:
    $223
    The 9 start is pretty brutal if you have to work, and for school kids it is impossible, especially as a couple of 9 starts end up being 9:15- to 9:30 starts. That means getting home at midnight for a lot of fans so I thought 7600 was pretty good. I know the Big 10 has regular 9 starts, but they also have 10,000 students in attendance. I had three extra tickets but could find no one who wanted to go that late.
    This was a big win. I thought the defense was again very good. I particularly watched the movement off the ball on screens and the four guards ( including Baddley) are really working.
    We tried to get the ball to Fowler, but again were in a poor passing angle. One dribble to the baseline for the pass and that is two. I am surprised that in his third year he has not been able to develop more upper body strength.
    PJ had really good hands on D. When he plays in control he is a tremendous asset. David made a nice pass for an assist in his limited time but got really beaten on defense once I recall. Similarly, Brunk can make plays. I hope that in the last three non-cons ( excluding Purdue) we make a concerted effort to give them time, and not in very short stretches. I also would like to see what two bigs would look like.

5. bu1973

bu1973 Active Member

Money:
    $223
    By the way, is coach in over his head ( see comments on the Nike tournament) or not. It is hard to keep up with the flip-flopping these days on everything ( not just this board.) Somebody has gotten this ship righted a bit and I am sure it is not anyone on this board. Let's see how the season plays out. I am sure there will lots of ups and some downs along the way. He is not a genius when we win, and lost when we lose. Most of us have seen enough basketball to know when a team is out of control and with no direction. Criticism is fine and sometimes warranted. Hyperbole and exaggeration seems to be rampant in every walk of life right now. Just an observation from the Geezer section.

NCJon, jarik and SpartanDawgs like this.
  6. Gregory Roach

Gregory Roach Member

Money:
    $91
    I agree.

I would have to give LJ high praise thus far. He had a successful Spanish summer trip. He was honest with players that were not going to fit or find time on the team (CN). His record thus far is 7-2, likely 8-2 in non-conference running up to the X-Roads. He inherited a situation with returning players and recruits immersed in the Holtmann interpretation of the Butler Way. He inherited freshmen he did not recruit and retained the balance of them. He has instilled his version of the Butler Way, rejuvenated team defense and sped up the tempo. He has turned KB, AT, PJ and HB into a very solid four deep back court who excel at playing defense. He has inspired leadership in players who had to step up (KM, TW). He has instilled confidence where it was lacking (SMcD). My only knock on him thus far is the regression of Fowler and his tendency to be Captain Hook with all freshman not named Thompson. Has it been a learning experience and sometimes bumpy, sure. What did everyone expect? This is isn't Butler of the Horizon League. This is now Butler of the Big East and a destination coaching spot; Holtmann's $$$ not withstanding. LJ has demonstrated to me that he belongs at the helm and will eventually excel. He deserves the latitude and patience to grow into what is now a big time coaching role and opportunity.

7. BUdawgsfan04

BUdawgsfan04 New Member

Money:
    $42
    Great Analysis. I totally agree about the playing time for CD. At least LJ is finally playing his bench. I was so upset during the Texas game when KM , KB and SM were playing 38, 37 and 35 minutes respectively. Baldwin is pressing and I think it has affected his defense. If you notice during the Utah game, he got beat on several drives where we had to help and gave up uncontested 3's. PJ is looking good and I hopefully he can give us the spark that Woodson gave us last year from the perimeter. I am concern with the lack of height in our starting lineup wants big east play begins. I am waiting for Brunk or Fowler to separate from one another. At the moment, it seems Fowler has the edge in offense and Brunk the edge on defensive and rebounding. Wideman and Martin were simply outstanding. My all time favorite Bulldog is Matt Howard, because how he played the game and Tyler Wideman is not far behind. Ultimate team players!

8. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,156
    LJ is not "Captain Hook!" David is a step slow on D and gets a little lost at times and if they are making a run when he loses them, he takes a seat... Explains the second half hook a lot more that just a random pulling of him on a whim. (I hope we get him and Brunk a lot of play in the next few games, they look really good at times, just needs to catch up to the speed of the shifts on both ends.)
    Baddley is looking a lot better and reminds me of a few other smaller extra athletic small forwards/guards that used to play for us that take a few years to get an outside shot and I would cringe when they shot until I knew if they were on or off that night! (Willy V comes to mind.) I think we are going to be really happy with him next year and he'll be a rock his senior year...

mwall787 likes this.
  9. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,311
    I’m 100% on board with this. :)

I accept Bitcoin or Ether.

10. Gregory Roach

Gregory Roach Member

Money:
    $91
    I will completely agree with you and LJ's decision making in a close non-conference game they MUST win like Utah. No debate. However, when he pulls Freshmen after less then 90 secs (and that now includes the red shirted JB) of playing time in a non-conference game where they lead by 30+ he earns the moniker Captain Hook. From my own coaching background, I learned the painful lesson that you must invest playing time (and mistakes) in Freshmen when the opportunity allows for such. I fear that pulling Freshmen so quickly in what are non competitive games does nothing for developing confidence nor learning how to adjust their personal play to a game that probably seems really fast to the typical incoming Freshman player. "Coaching" can always occur when you pull the player, even after 7 or 8 mins of spotty play. So too, you have video and practice time to illustrate and adjust less then optimal player performance. A big part of coaching is maintaining player confidence. 90 seconds of play in a game where you lead by 30 doesn't provide for player confidence.

estar20dawg likes this.
  11. WestLoopDog

WestLoopDog Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,202
    I agree with some of your points, HOWEVER for armchair coaches (like all of us on the board) to judge his decisions on when he pulls a player or say has earned the moniker Captain Hook is ludicrous (or at best harsh). I understand the "building confidence" issue and agree that it is critically important, but none of us know all the events in practice, in game planning, in discussions before he went into the game, etc., that led to the coaches decision. Without knowing all those antecedent events, we are just speculating and opining with only a fraction of the data that the coaches have IMHO.

Shimmy, jarik, mwall787 and 3 others like this.
  12. jarik

jarik Member

Money:
    $39
    I made the drive from Knoxville for the game and was quite impressed with LJ's game management. The guys are learning their roles and I see improvement in almost all phases since the first of the season. That's what makes college basketball so enjoyable.

BURph92 likes this.
  13. harvesting

harvesting New Member

Money:
    $35
    You but be

14. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,309
    I am actually a fan of yanking kids if they mess up. Teaching moment. But they should bring him right back after the next dead ball. Not leave him on the bench for 10+ mins.

15. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Active Member

Money:
    $523
    There is a very fine line between accountability and over-coaching. If you’re trying to make more than minimal corrective adjustments to specific individuals between the first horn and the last horn, you’re probably doing too much. Practice and film sessions are when you get technical.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

16. BullDawg2789

BullDawg2789 Active Member

Money:
    $264
    If anyone remembers, Holtmann pulled Chrabascz 30 seconds into last season’s home opener. He then went on to a great senior season. I know we’re talking about freshmen, but if someone screws up, you pull them aside and let them know that’s not what was taught in practice. And as we know, LaVall isn’t a yeller, so he’s probably doing it in a very encouraging manner.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

17. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,617
    A good point was made about CD being pulled during the Saint Louis game. He neglected to go after a loose ball that was on the floor. Evidently it made an impression because CD dove to the floor in a similar situation against Utah.

#60, kmacker69, huss587 and 1 other person like this.
  18. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,309
    Tell that to Izzo. He does this all the time.

I think it depends. If the kid is just mentally not in the game. Maybe CD was making mistakes he normally doesn't make in practice and LaVall has higher expectations for him. Sometimes pulling them out for a minute will get their heads back in the game and be more focus.

19. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,382
    Agree, freshmen are going to make mistakes. You have to give them game time if LJ is going to use the bench in BE conference play. They also can't hurt the team if it's poor choices. I often wonder if it's something simple like the combination of nerves and speed of the college game. Those are times I think you let them play through it because it can usually get better with minutes.