Jared Grubbs

Butler Bulldogs (7-2) vs Indiana Hoosiers (8-2) - 12/15

Jared Grubbs, Dec 14, 2018

Settled
  1. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,088
    First those 3's were not on David at all...and David came right in and had a real nice assist. I wish Lavall would just let him play free like he lets just about everyone else. Second like I said above PJ was being guarded by Langford who has just about every physical aspect on PJ. I for one was happy they deployed him on PJ rather than McD because McD would not have gotten have his shots if Langford was guarding him.

2. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $792
    Having saw it live, it looked like David didn't close out on the first 3 he was in, and then the second one, he was beat off the drive, someone came to help and then their man was open for a 3. I don't think it's any coincidence that he was immediately benched after that span. I'll have to go back and watch.

3. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,728
    As far as the talk over etc...no, it's not. But even though it was a fluke L, it was an L. Would have been a great look on the resume.

Need to be very good going forward. I trust they will be. We were probably the better team yesterday, that type of play wins plenty big East games.

4. Dawg Guy

Dawg Guy Active Member

Money:
    $431
    Kamar has no help on this team. He needs a point guard who can help him out. It’s no surprise when Thompson is in, Kamar plays much better. Kamar is the only guy on the team who can do it all. The others can either shoot or drive, but not both.

Also, you must not watch much basketball. IU doesn’t have nearly top 10 talent - McRoberts played 20 minutes for them today. They have two great players and some other OK guys. The top 10 this year is stacked and that doesn’t count teams like UK and Nova. They are about as good as they’re ranked, around 25 and that is about where we are. Both in the computers and eye test. This was a very even match up - we just came out on the losing side.

Tentozen likes this.
  5. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    Right. There’s absolutely no question the entire season is ahead of us. Every night in the big east is chance at a good win.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

6. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,043
    Regarding the Purdue/Butler vs IU fan balance, IU showed up in greater number this year than I remember them doing in the past, you’re right. But I also think Purdue getting beaten pretty handily by a not so good ND team in the first game caused a large contingent of them to empty out and throw the balance pretty far out of whack. Of course IU is going to have more fans there than Butler. That’s always been and will always be the case. When Purdue is gone it can seem realllly far outbof whack.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

BUcheer likes this.
  7. chas1116

chas1116 Active Member

Money:
    $249
    Regarding CD's minutes. I find it very hard to believe Butler will enter Big East play with just an 8 man rotation. That is insane!! I too would like to see CD shoot the ball more

Butlerfan027 likes this.
  8. Butlerfan027

Butlerfan027 New Member

Money:
    $12
    LJ hate to see his jersey #25 play by another man.

Sent from my CPH1803 using Butler Hoops mobile app

9. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $2,294
    My thinking on rewatching was the zone mid second half was maybe to protect McD as I think he had three fouls. Think raftery even mentioned it.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

bmradio99 likes this.
  10. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    My biggest problem with selling crossroads classic tickets is that not only does it put IU fans in our section, but it stops other Butler fans from getting in who are deserving.

I think we said that the cut off was 750 priority points per seat for lower level this year. Let’s be real, that’s not an insignificant amount of money. If I donated that and didn’t get lower level tix, but IU fans did, I would be very upset.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

BGDawgFan likes this.
  11. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,167
    Let's face it priority seating always screws someone> I for one as a season ticket holder and a donor get really upset when four or five IU fans all decked out in their red sit as a group in
    the middle of the Butler section, it is not just one group but several. The ticket office must do a better job in allotting tickets not only at BLF, but a Hinkle also, I know of several long time
    season ticket holders every year who are tired of being moved every year and are done after this year. It is almost like your money is not good enough anymore. Do not get me started on
    ticket allotment for the first and second round NCAA games.

12. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,454
    2 days later, I think I can finally talk about the game.

I'll be honest, that was one of the most gut-wrenching Butler losses in a long time (national championship games excluded). The fact that the Dawgs lead for the first 38 minutes and played nearly perfect defense on that final play made it really hard to digest.

Other thoughts:
    - If Butler wins, I think there is an outside chance of being ranked today. (IU jumped from #25 to #16 in a few of the voters' polls I've seen so far).
    - I knew Morgan was going to be our toughest match-up, but I didn't think it was because he was going to turn into Reggie Miller.
    - Oddly enough, I think only 1 of his 3's came with one of our big men guarding him. The rest came when we were in a zone, or when he was playing the 4.
    - I was pretty encouraged by Tucker in the time he was on the court and look for his minutes to continue to grow as the season goes on - probably at the determent of David.
    - Fitzner played zero minutes at the 5 - who would have thought?

willisbrown likes this.
  13. chas1116

chas1116 Active Member

Money:
    $249
    Just curious- did Raftery scream ONIONS when Phinisee hit the desperation game winner???

14. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,043
    Also just now able to discuss the game. And I agree with all of this (though I don't remember who was guarding Morgan on each three).

15. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,043
    Just now able to discuss this one. That one hurt badly. Butler had very poor games out of its two best players, and yet led nearly the entire game and by double digits on several occasions, including a 9 point lead with 9 minutes to go (equating to a win probability of 88% according to Kenpom's model). That the collapse happened against the clown show from Bloomington makes it that much worse. Oof.

On the other hand, despite bad games from Baldwin and Jorgenson, IU - a likely 5-7 seed in the NCAA Tournament - had to have the very best game of its best player's career, plus a heave from 35 feet, to win. That's pretty encouraging, though it didn't make Saturday evening sting any less at the time. If the supporting cast can play something like it did against IU in the Big East, making the Tournament won't really be the question. Whether Butler can win 13 or 14 games in the Big East and steal a conference title will be the question.

16. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,414
    Something along those lines, but it was covered up at my home by a bunch of f-bombs lobbed at the TV.

bwesson15, mwall787 and ButlerNut like this.
  17. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,454
    First one: Fowler was on him and kind of dared him to shoot it.
    Second one: David just entered the game and had a slow close out.
    Third one: We were in 3-2 zone and Tucker got sucked into the paint and a cross-court pass gave Morgan a wide open shot.
    Fourth one: We were in 3-2 zone and McDermott made a pretty good close out, but Morgan hit a contested shot.

All 4 were in the corner. 3 of the 4 came in the second half, with Davis playing the 5 allowing Morgan to move to the 4.

bwesson15 and Hinkle like this.
  18. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,728
    As per usual...Tucker will play aplenty once his defense catches up. But he will add such a dynamic whether as a starter or 68th man to this offense. Just got to corral that D.

19. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,167
    According to blowhard Dakich and his side kick Don Flushman Butler was inferior and did not belong on the court with the ****in Hoosiers, it would been great to beat them, let's move on and beat
    them in two years or in NCAA game down the road.

traveling_butler_fan likes this.
  20. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $792
    If you had to walk the concourses of BLF following the game, you would've thought IU had won the national championship given how some of their fans were celebrating. Truly horrific experience.

With Romeo Langford one and done, this is supposed to be IU's "big year", but most Butler fans know this is a bit of a down year in the hopes that the Dawgs can make a deep run during Baldwin's senior year. We still battled IU to the very end, and it took a ridiculous shot to beat us at the buzzer. Take solace in that.

BUcheer likes this.