Jared Grubbs

Butler Bulldogs (7-2) vs Indiana Hoosiers (8-2) - 12/15

Jared Grubbs, Dec 14, 2018

Settled
  1. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,531
    Tucker will be a difficult player to keep off the court in a matter of weeks.

2. BGDawgFan

BGDawgFan Active Member

Money:
    $124
    You're missing the point. IU will always have more fans there, that's just reality. My beef is with people who used priority points to order lower level tickets with no intention of going to the game, who then sell them on the open market to make a profit. Many of those tickets will end up in the hands of IU fans, and those of us who actually used our tickets have to endure them cheering for our opponent in our section. IU fans who sit in their lower level sections don't have to deal with this, because almost no one who buys those tickets from IU sells them. You can see it just by looking at the crowd.

If you're going to order lower level tickets from Butler, either use them or sell them to a Butler fan. Whatever portion of Butler's allotment is not sold through the athletic department will mainly be purchased by IU fans, but at least they'll be in the upper deck instead of the lower level.

SRG and butlerdude05 like this.
  3. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $792
    I was actually expecting more IU fans. Figured with Romeo Langford town, their bandwagon fans would be in full force.

Not sure whether it was Purdue fans (the black and navy blends together a bit), but it looked like Butler had at least 1/3 of the lower bowl.

That being said, there were red shirts that stood out like a sore thumb in the Butler fan section behind the bench.

4. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,043
    No, I got you, and I agreed. But you were also making the point that what I said in the post you quoted was wrong, and again I agreed and added context.

Take it easy; I didn't make those fans sell out.

5. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,167
    I noticed the red behind the Butler bench, must got those tickets through some Butler's big time donors. Most big time donors will help their buddies out regardless of who they support, it is
    sad but true. The powers that be should be on top of that, but they do not want to piss those folks off and the hell with the real Butler fans who support the program all the time. Just my opinion.

6. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,141
    The red shirts directly behind the BU bench were guests of corporate sponsors sadly. Apparently didn’t have any BU clients they could schmooze that day. I hate seeing red in the BU section as well, as you would NEVER see Butler blue behind the IU bench. The IU group sitting about halfway up the lower level (maybe 4-6 people) looked like BU ticket holders who sold their tickets. There’s a special place for them....

7. Red1972

Money:
    $1,167
    The solution would be simple find out who bought those tickets originally, confront them and not allow them to purchase tickets in the future. A bit harsh maybe but it would stop ticket holders from
    scalping tickets to IU and Purdue fans. Enough said.

8. chas1116

chas1116 Active Member

Money:
    $249
    With most lower/center or even corner fetching $450 or so a pop, it's amazing you don't see more of them on secondary. These were no doubt "private sales" maybe the Butler STH had clients that were IU fans and did something along those lines. Face it- IU's fan base is probably at least 3 to 4 times what Butler's is, if not more. That's what makes it so hilarious that the last 15 or so years Butler has consistently been the best program in the state, and one of the better ones in the country, usually with much inferior talent (according to recruiting hype) and coaches that will bolt at any time for a better offer. Makes no difference and last Saturday was no exception- these days you just expect Butler to beat IU- my God, all the square IU bettors out there and the line still was Butler minus 2- they should have won the game. They should beat IU every time they play- you could not say that 20+ years ago

9. Red1972

Money:
    $1,167
    Well put!

10. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,454
    I say we get real crazy with it and make it like an Indiana basketball sectional. Rope of each quarter of the lower bowl, and make it first come, first serve. Only fans of that particular school can be in that quarter.

*Yes, I say this in jest. I understand the obvious financial & logistical reasons this can't happen. But it would be wild, right?!

11. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,531
    To the highest bidder goes the spoils?

12. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $813
    The other announcer said Phinisee's shot "lit up the entire state of Indiana". Can't say I really cared for that...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Butler Hoops mobile app

DawgsMD likes this.
  13. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,414
    It's definitely more, and by a lot. Just based on enrollment, IU's about 8.5 times the size of Butler, which means that every year, IU cranks out 8,500 or so graduates to Butler's roughly 1,000. The tangential "didn't go there, just love the team" fans have decades of stronger roots than do random Butler fans. (Think of what the programs were like in the 80s, and the people who were kids then that now have money to spend on spectator sports for the teams they've liked for years.) It's just a sheer numbers game. In the case of an IU season ticket holder who would rather make a buck than go to the game: they may not care who the ticket goes to if the price is right, but based solely on those ratios, the chances of a random aftermarket buyer being an IU fan are just comically higher.

Tentozen likes this.
  14. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    I agree. I suspect the alum base alone is 100x bigger or more.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

15. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,032
    The Nutter Center?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

16. chas1116

chas1116 Active Member

Money:
    $249
    I completely agree with both comments regarding IU fan base- I was thinking more of- Butler draws around 8,500 per game, IU 15,500, but that's without factoring in IU being about an hour and 20 minutes away from Indy on average and Butler maybe only being 25 minutes or less for most of us. The money that comes from the Big 10 network means no big 10 school should ever lose a coach in any sport over $$$, although- Butler is now light years ahead of where they were back in the Horizon days. If I had to guess- I would say the typical IU fan was around during the Knight era- most likely never even went to college, let alone attended IU, and claims IU hoops and ND football as "his team" simply because he resides in the state of Indiana. Much like the typical Kentucky fan. For me at least- the typical Butler fan has at least some tie to the school- as student or relative of a former BU student, and/or grew up or currently live around the Meridian Kessler area. IU fans are everywhere- Indy, the southern part of the state by Louisville, Ft Wayne, South Bend, and everywhere in between. It is what it is

17. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    I mean I think not having wal mart fans is also part of why it’s so special to see a person wearing Butler gear on the streets. You know there’s more you have in common than the rooting interest of last night’s game. The entire institution is special and your experiences though different, are similar.

Don’t get me wrong I’d love to big fan base but I do love knowing how much it matters to be able
    To give and receive an unexpected “go dawgs”

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

Tentozen likes this.
  18. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,184
    I'm willing to admit part of my post was wrong. Nova isn't ranked. Put that in the cold takes.

I still stand by the rest.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Butler Hoops mobile app

19. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,525
    Butler-Tarkington is closer. What about them?

20. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $792
    Winning at Florida would be a nice win, but it won't be easy beating them twice--especially on the road to follow up.