Jared Grubbs

Butler Bulldogs (7-2) vs Indiana Hoosiers (8-2) - 12/15

Jared Grubbs, Dec 14, 2018

Settled
  1. chas1116

chas1116 Active Member

Money:
    $262
    LOL!! Yes, of course, Butler-Tarkington is ground zero for "Butler Nation"!! Let's be honest too- if you asked most of the IU & Purdue die hards, old timers, etc- "What do you think about Butler"- you are going to likely get an 80%+ "Approval" rating. After spilling out of BLF onto S Meridian for some post game drinking, throughout the night I must have had 4-5 people, dressed in red, come up and offer me a sincere, consolatory "It really was a great game for both teams" greeting. Of course it was- even with Baldwin & PJ stinking the joint up, Butler had the upper hand for 35 minutes and should have won comfortably. I didn't have any desire to punch someone after the game- unlike had the opponent been Xavier and I seriously doubt if it was IU/UK and I was wearing UK blue, any IU fan would attempt to give me any of the "it was a great game for both teams" BS.

2. GO_DAWGS!

GO_DAWGS! Active Member

Money:
    $87
  3. godogs91

godogs91 Active Member

Money:
    $3,245
    While I agree that they shouldn't have been letting him shoot the first three attempts with no one in the same area code, let's remember that 1) coming into the game he had missed his last 6 3-point attempts, and 2) he was absolutely handing everyone their lunch down on the blocks. Coming into the game, he was shooting 43% from 3 (9-21) and 48% (14-29) from the line. The Butler and UC-Davis games account for 70% of his 3's on the season, and at a 70% success rate. This is a guy who shot 28% on 3's the last 2 seasons. He feasted on whoever happened to be guarding him Saturday, and was the difference in the game. I would guess that the mantra was do whatever you can to move him out toward the 3-point line, and let the chips fall where they may there. It bit the team in the backside, but it happens. When a guy gets going like that, the basket looks enormous, and you don't feel like you can miss from anywhere (not that I've ever experienced that firsthand).

shoeevv likes this.
  4. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,335
    Finally over jet lag and was able to watch a tape of the game. I liked what I saw from everyone on both ends of the floor until the eight minute mark left in the game. If we play for a full 40 minutes like we did in the first 32 we are going to win a lot of games. Where I saw we broke down in the last eight minutes was when KB would dribble into the lane and getting stopped. Instead of kicking it out he tried to play Jaylen Brunson with a Post move that failed or he had the ball stripped. Where KB is a beast is with his runner and banking the shot off the dribble. In the last four minutes he forced up two shots in the paint and had the ball stripped after being stopped. He did make two bank shots and missed on a three point attempt. Not blaming him for the loss just noting he needs to either shoot a runner or kick it out when he penetrates and not hold the ball in the paint.

Liked what I saw in Brunk. I thought he stepped it up and I wouldn't be surprised to see him become the starting five before the year is over.

Liked our intensity and ball movement. Tough loss but a good showing.

UDDawg likes this.
  5. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,299
    I think people are putting too much emphasis on who starts at the 5. The minutes are going to be pretty similar for both, so who starts is pretty much a non issue.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Butler Hoops mobile app

Tentozen likes this.
  6. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $846
    I feel like a lot of people are blaming Baldwin for playing "hero ball" or going "one-on-one" in iso too much, but to me, that's also on Lavall Jordan for not pulling his team aside and Kamar and telling them to share the ball. What got us the lead was ball movement, players driving and kicking, and making the extra pass to the open teammate.

It seemed like the same thing happened late last year in the tourney against Purdue with Kelan Martin.

It's good to have the ball in your best player's hands a lot, but not when IU knows what you're going to do every time and starts cheating in the paint.

7. chas1116

chas1116 Active Member

Money:
    $262
    From my recollections- Hero Ball usually tended to end well for Kelan Martin & Roosevelt Jones