Butler Bulldogs (7-3) vs Presbyterian Blue Hose (6-5) - 12/18

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Lukas Harkins, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,118
    Well, let's get back to winning, right? I won't be at Hinkle for this one (home for Winter Break - one semester left - woohoo!) but hopefully the crowd still fills up nicely!

Short preview: Presbyterian rates as one of the worst defensive teams in the nation (329th) while Butler's offensive efficiency currently lands in the top-25 of the nation. The Blue Dose shoot (and make) their fair share of threes on the offensive end (11th nationally in 3P%, 56th in 3PAr). In terms of common opponents on the schedule, Presbyterian hung with Marquette for about 25 minutes before their defense started to collapse. Golden Eagles won that game by 19 points.

Long preview: Wrote my article on this game a bit differently than I normally would. Instead of breaking down a few keys to success, I took note of three things that I am looking forward to potentially seeing more of in this game (which could be keys considering they would all be positives). Thought this would make more sense to cover a game that the Dawgs should be heavy favorites in but let me know if you definitely prefer the other method of previewing. (Link: https://bustingbrackets.com/2018/12/17/butler-basketball-what-watch-for-presbyterian/)

How are you all feeling about this matchup?

2. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,724
    I'll just leave this here. I'm really hoping that I can squeeze in a proper LAL tomorrow, but I have a hockey game tonight and a packed day tomorrow. But look at this team. It's so ripe for the picking. Especially #30, I can think of at least 5 LALs off the top of my head.

And don't even get me started on the "Blue Hose"....

[​IMG]

NCJon and Lukas Harkins like this.
  3. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,649
    Trust me when I tell you this is the last thing that ever deserves a "woohoo".

4. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $120
    Literally everyone, other than backup big Armel Tate will fire from deep. Interestingly their 2 point field goal is ranked 240th. Definitely will be a challenge for the defense, especially for Fowler and Brunk.

5. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,038
    [​IMG]

6. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,118
    Points taken. Correction: one semester left - oh no.

7. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,300
    Presbyterian has 32 made 3s in their last 2 games. 60 attempts.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

lee@bu1984 likes this.
  8. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,447
    That's a lot of chucking and clanging...

9. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,186
    This will be my one game in Hinkle for the year, wife cons me into coming north in winter with a game each year. Hope to see us light it up and have an easy win with Tucker getting a good bit of play. I might not log on if we don't run away with this one pretty early... ;)

SpartanDawgs likes this.
  10. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,301
    I'm expecting a pretty low crowd turnout tonight. With students being out, and the late weekday start, I just can't see there being a lot of energy in Hinkle.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Butler Hoops mobile app

bmradio99 likes this.
  11. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,649
    Please show me some AT-KB-CD-JT-JB/NF lineups

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    UDDawg likes this.
  12. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,467
    This is definitely the type of game to get guys in and give them some extended minutes.

David, Butler, Tucker should get a lot of time tonight.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Butler Hoops mobile app

13. JCA 2013

JCA 2013 Active Member

Money:
    $185
    Or what about AT-McD-CD-JT-JB, I feel like that lineup could be seriously potent and have the best ball movement of any lineup BU could roll out.

14. JCA 2013

JCA 2013 Active Member

Money:
    $185
    And yes, I know this would mean taking your best player off the floor, but I'm thinking of it as a change-up at the U8 timeout in the first half when Kamar might be taking a breather anyway.

15. CarmelDawg23

CarmelDawg23 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $927
    Half these guys look like they could form a pickup team in an over 40 league, while the other half look like they're prepping for their last middle school game before Christmas break.

ButlerGoalie likes this.
  16. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,649
    I'm all for the experimentation in a game like this but barring injury any lineup without KB just isn't going to see more than a few minutes per game, and having one guy who can handle the ball is probably too limiting. But hey, let's give it a shot and see what happens.

Related: we should definitely try some AT-KB-SM-JT-JB lineups, as that may end up being a frequent one by Feb...

Insane Dawg likes this.
  17. JCA 2013

JCA 2013 Active Member

Money:
    $185
    Thats fair. However, I do think back to some of the line-ups that Michigan ran when LaVall was there that really only featured a ball handler at the 1. For instance, in their Final Four year the starting line-up was Trey Burke, Tim Hardaway, jr (decent ball handler, but a turnover waiting to happen when he drove), Nik Stauskas (who would later become a primary ball handler), GRIII (not a ball handler at all), and Jordan Morgan.

Now granted four of the five are still in the NBA, but they were surrounding one great ballhandler/creat0r with athletes and shooters. I think you could do the same thing at Butler. The ball movement dies pretty bad when Kamar gets into attack mode.

18. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,378
    Like your last sentence. Haven't seen JT play but assuming he is better than PJ.

19. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,649
    Good point.

Kamar sits 5-7 minutes per game, so maybe it's worth seeing if that'd be a viable lineup when he's not playing.

20. chc3

chc3 Active Member

Money:
    $173

Thanks for the article - great analysis! In response to the Tucker evaluation, although his playing time vs IU was limited what stuck out for me was his offensive ball movement. He showed no hesitation when moving the ball with crisp and intentional passes to gain an offensive advantage. This has been one of our team's weaknesses on offense when our guards and wings hold onto the ball too long allowing defenses to adjust.

bu1973 and Lukas Harkins like this.