Butler Bulldogs (7-3) vs Presbyterian Blue Hose (6-5) - 12/18

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Lukas Harkins, Dec 17, 2018.

1. jvoigt

jvoigt Member

Money:
    $49
    I think Jordon Tucker only played last night as a substitute for Sean Mcdermott. Looking at the KenPom box score I see McDermott played 28 minutes and Tucker played 12. That's 40 minutes for our "4" or Power Forward position. I'd like to see Tucker take some minutes from someone else. The most likely candidate is PJ.

Tentozen likes this.
  2. BUdawgsfan04

BUdawgsfan04 Member

Money:
    $180
    If Tucker can prove that he can drive past defenders and get to the foul line, he's our man alongside Kamar at the end of the clock.

I like Thompson driving to the hoop as well but let's not jump the gun on him as a go-to scorer. He was finishing on a 5 foot guard all night.

Everybody likes to hate on Kamar for taking forced shots at the end of the shot clock, but if our offense doesn't get anyone open for a shot then who else can create their own? We don't have much of a choice at this point, Kamar is still our best player, I think people forget that.

DawgPoundMac, shoeevv and GoodDawgs like this.
  3. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $792
    No one should have a problem with the ball in our best player's hands often.

I also think Baldwin's "hero ball" is just as much on Lavall Jordan for not emphasizing ball movement, working inside-outside, and making the extra pass. If things break down, sure, have Baldwin go-one-on-one in iso, but it seemed to be that the team resorted to this way too much down the stretch against IU instead of first at least seeing if they could catch IU off balance, slow on a rotation, etc. by moving the ball around early in the shot clock.

That's what got us the lead in the first place.

BUdawgsfan04 likes this.
  4. BUdawgsfan04

BUdawgsfan04 Member

Money:
    $180
    Well said.

5. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,493
    I believe (I would bet money) LJ encouraged Baldwin to do the hero ball thing. Not a bad approach or attempt early on, but you can sure make the argument it may have cost us a couple of wins. Some real ugly basketball. So what have we learned? My concern is that what EVERYONE now seems to recognize is not working (once in a while, ok), why keep doing it, particularly at crunch time, as the "go to" offense???????? Not sure what LJ thinks he sees here. (too stubborn?) Doesn't Baldwin also recognize it hurts? Head scratchers. Didn't see much of it during the Presbyterian game. But sure saw a whole lot of east /west passing and dribbling and picking and a whole lot of other guys standing around. Tony Hinkle must be rolling in his grave from the departure of the "motion offense." Would love to see north / south dimension added at some point, like toward the bucket. And more kick-outs from the penetration as well. There are guys on the perimeter open. And there are a couple of shooters on the roster.

6. BUdawgsfan04

BUdawgsfan04 Member

Money:
    $180
    On top of that, how good is Baldwin shooting the 3 when he's set and it comes from the post? I believe this happened twice last night. Rather see the inside/out game rather than Kamar fading away off the bounce from 25 ft

7. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,043
    haha...one of my all-time favorite gifs.

8. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,119
    McDermott and Tucker need to be on the floor together at times, IMO. McD and Tucker at the 3/4, taking minutes away from Jorgenson is the ideal situation. PJ played an appropriate amount last night, but all of his minutes went to Baddley.

The length and rebounding of McD/Tucker/Brunk is something I want to see.

willisbrown likes this.
  9. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,141
    Happy to see more baseline cuts to the baskets last night—have missed those. Great court awareness. Have been told this team has good chemistry and consider each other unselfish.

Tentozen likes this.
  10. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    Yeah but half the game is played on defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

11. WestLoopDog

WestLoopDog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,668
    Yes, the baseline cuts were great. But what I really miss seeing are the back side lob plays. We used to run those all the time and they seemed to work most of the time. I remember that Stevens even ran some successfully for Stigall. I have to believe that Thompson could accurately put it up in the perfect spot for McDermott, Tucker, or Baddley on a regular basis.

BUcheer and Tentozen like this.
  12. WMUDog

WMUDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $233
    I agree that sounds awesome. I used to include David and possibly JGB, but now, unfortunately I don't see it. I hope I am wrong. Only those two players and LJ know if they can be significant future contributors (potentially). If you can't crack the top ten then perhaps a transfer would be best. Given only the perspective of the player. I knew a kid 30 years ago that could start anywhere mid to high major. He chose to sit on the bench for Michigan for 4 years.

13. WMUDog

WMUDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $233
    Of course this kid got an awesome law degree and is probably a millionaire now.

14. I Am Butler

Money:
    $4,119
    McDermott is perfectly capable of guarding the 3 at times. I didnt say play that rotation together 20 minutes a night.

15. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $792
    To be fair, that lineup is still better defensively than our lineup that has Jorgensen and Fowler in it.

Right now, we're essentially starting 3 smaller guards: Thompson, Baldwin, and Jorgensen with a 3 as a 4 (McDermott). Even if Tucker isn't much of a defender, his length and size should at least make us better defensively when compared to any starting 5 with Jorgensen.

16. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    Lol it’s not even close

17. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,184
    Watched game late. Just posting now.

There were some mistakes and a super slow start to Butler's game. Sure. But Presbyterian (Providence?) was 4-4 on 3's to start, and finished the first half 6-9. They were hot. Amazing shooting! In the 2nd half, Butler held Presbyterian to 3-15 on 3's (20%) and Pres. only made 9 FG the entire 2nd half.

While I was discouraged watching the game as well, I didn't see too much to be worried about in terms of play. Butler did a great job of moving the ball and getting open looks. I did see the boneheaded move where someone saved the ball under the Butler basket and it ended up being a layup for Pres. Nate Fowler going down scared me, because he was holding his knee at first. I was glad he came back and played in the 2nd.

I think that AT had an amazing game. Defensively he was awesome. Offensively, he was able to do whatever he wanted.

How many games in a row has McDermott taken at least one charge? Kid has guts getting in there.

I was hoping for a relaxing 25 point game so many players could get in and show what they could do. But that wasn't the case.

Irvine won't be easier. Butler can't afford another super slow start. Come out fast. Hit it hard. Never let up. Stomp some Anteaters!

18. FRENCH DAWG

FRENCH DAWG Active Member

Money:
    $205
    Dawgs were predestined to win this game.

willisbrown likes this.
  19. I Am Butler

Money:
    $4,119
    Fast forward a month, and McD/Tucker/Bunk may be your new starting lineup.