Butler Bulldogs (7-3) vs Presbyterian Blue Hose (6-5) - 12/18

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Lukas Harkins, Dec 17, 2018.

1. MIBulldog

MIBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,967
    Probably our starting lineup next year

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Tark43 likes this.
  2. IndyDawgs

IndyDawgs Active Member

Money:
    $429
    That was such a frustrating game. Butler didn’t play poorly. Presbyterian played out of their minds (especially in the 1st half). Butler got a couple bad luck bounces. The officiating was uh...suboptimal?

But they won. Despite all that stuff. So I guess I feel good about it? Just not a fun experience.

jeff likes this.
  3. IndyDawgs

IndyDawgs Active Member

Money:
    $429
    upload_2018-12-18_23-2-19.gif

NCJon, willisbrown and Hinkle Magic2 like this.
  4. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,300
    I don't really have it in me to write a full recap piece of this game but, for those interested, here is a shortened version of what I would have written regarding takeaways:

1. Jordan Tucker is ready to play more minutes. Even though the competition level in this game was not particularly high, JT did a lot in his minutes on the floor. He sought out rebounds well, made a couple of nice passes, and showed why he was so highly-touted as a shooter. Not only did he bury a couple of 3-pointers but his free throw stroke looked pure. His confidence is clear and, while he did make a few mistakes on both ends, the potential is certainly there for him to be a major impact player.

2. Kamar Baldwin is at his best when playing within the offense. During the IU game, there were stretches where Baldwin started to operate more in isolation that was seemingly necessary. Given the number of capable shooters and playmakers on the roster, Butler is at its best when operating as a team to look for the best look as a collective unit. Baldwin is one of the only players who can consistently create his own look but he does this best while working off-ball and catching/driving when already on the move with his defender off balance. He played more within the offense tonight, in my opinion, and it resulted in a far more efficient performance: 15 pts (6-for-13), 4 rebs, 2 asts, 0 tos.

3. Aaron Thompson is the leader on both ends. Obviously, Thompson was superb tonight. With this takeaway, I am not meaning to say that AT is going to emerge as the top scoring option night after night but his importance on the court should not be understated. Above all else, I love AT's vision when on the court. He may have turned the ball over six times in this matchup but he reads defenses well in two ways. For starters, he does an excellent job probing defenses and finding the right teammate to pass to. Additionally, he rarely forces shots and picks his spots tremendously well (oh, and he has improved so much as a shooter). On the defensive end, not only is AT tremendous when guarding the ball but he also improves Butler's team defense when on the court. He is a vocal leader on that end of the floor and does a nice job with help defense and double-teams.

I did not go back and edit this so hopefully not too many errors. I'm tired.

ButlerNut, DawgFan, jarik and 16 others like this.
  5. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,949
    I was trying to push through a late writeup. And I basically just wrote #1 and #3 when I checked here. So I'm saying let's scrap this because I don't need to repeat what's written above. No need for much of a breakdown here

ButlerNut and Lukas Harkins like this.
  6. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,300
    Hate to steal your thunder(dunk), Jared. Hopefully it's an easier game to watch on Friday!

7. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $807
    Thompson's will to win carried us. Very good leader. Has been from day 1, but it is really blossoming. Went right to Tucker, when he reacted to charge call, and told him he can't do that.

Tucker was good in clean air. We'll see if he develops the grit and fight of a Dawg. If he can, he will impact winning significantly.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Butler Hoops mobile app

8. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,949
    I’m just ridiculously excited about Tucker after seeing him some more. He actually reminds me of a quicker Kelan Martin in a lot of ways.

9. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,312
    What was the play stoppage with about 2 minutes left? Nothing was called, ref just blew the whistle wandered over to look at the monitor, then restarted play.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Butler Hoops mobile app

10. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,949
    And sorry for the multiple posts, but Bell came in 5th in the country in assist to turnover ratio. Thompson ate him alive. 7 turnovers.

Shimmy, estar20dawg, UDDawg and 6 others like this.
  11. Tentozen

Tentozen Active Member

Money:
    $538
    And you forgot Baddley; he was solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

Jared Grubbs and Hinkle Magic2 like this.
  12. kac12568

kac12568 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,708
    I just got home from the game where the EXTREME Pogo Stick Team got the crowd more excited during the halftime show than the basketball team did during the game (and most of the people had already left to go to the concession stands and bathrooms).

We played a team that is known as one of the best 3pt shooting teams in the country and they had open look after open look from 3 all night. I was not impressed with our defense as a team. As others have pointed out, AT is slowly becoming the leader I hoped he would be on the floor.

#uninspired

13. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,528
    I'm afraid David's minutes will evaporate. Tucker does have a wao go defensively still but no denying his talent. AT continues to excel his game in all phases.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  14. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $792
    If David's minutes evaporate, so be it. I think there's still minutes that could be earned off the bench, as right now, Butler is 8 deep with Tucker, Baddley, and Brunk as the only rotational bench guys.

15. mwall787

mwall787 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,237
    McD caught an inadvertent head in the mouth so they were checking to see if it was a foul. It wasn’t...so game on.

16. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,312
    Thanks. I figured it was something like that, but with the officials we had tonight, it could have been anything.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Butler Hoops mobile app

17. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,706
    I messaged a buddy of mine with that same lineup as our best. Flexible, bigger, two playmakers, two guns and a bruiser.

18. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,706
    So much you posted it twice. Very excited are you :)

19. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,002
    Hate to say this, but given his size, the way he moves around on the court, and his shooting, he reminds me a lot of Trevon Blueitt.

ConnersvilleBulldog likes this.
  20. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,412
    You’re not wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

PSUButlerFan likes this.