Butler Bulldogs (7-3) vs Presbyterian Blue Hose (6-5) - 12/18

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Lukas Harkins, Dec 17, 2018.

1. indienapolis

indienapolis Active Member

Money:
    $248
  2. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,037
    My hopes for him have risen considerably - 10 and 7 on 4 field goal attempts in just 12 minutes of play is legit. He also had a sweet dish to Fowler.

However, he’s still yet to make a shot inside the three point line, so I think the jury is still out on whether he can be multi-dimensional on offense to the extent some have been hoping. He’s obviously played very few minutes so it’s possible the right opportunities just haven’t been there.

He also turned it over three times in 12 minutes. One was probably a bad call, one was a terrible pass, and one I can’t remember. Just something to watch.

Finally, you can see what LJ means when he says he’s still got progress to make on the defensive end. He gets caught out of position more than some of the others and he has fouled 4 times in just 20 total minutes of play. The good news is that the effort is there. He’s trying hard on that end. I think it’s clear to him that better D is his ticket to max PT.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

bwesson15 likes this.
  3. bicknob

bicknob Member

Money:
    $67
    The third turnover was after his offensive rebound with like 2 seconds left in the first half trying to get it out for a shot. So looks like only one of the turnovers was directly his fault

Hinkle likes this.
  4. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $2,293
    Thoughts:

Looks ugly and uninspired for first 10-12 minutes

I want to see Brunk be able to put these numbers up against higher end talent

I think AT needs to do what he did today, every game. Just needs to stay out of foul trouble.

It’s comforting knowing that you can get two or even three guys in double digits from multiple guys on the bench, especially on a night where McDermott struggled when he played the 4 and PJ didn’t shoot well (man does he disappear on offense for stretches). Liked Tucker, want to see how he does off the bounce. I really liked Baddley off the bounce. Several instances of drive by AT, followed by drive by Baddley, leading to easier basket.

Still think KB outs his head down too much when he drives like he has already made his decision and his move he’s going to make. But agree he had a quiet 15, and I like it better this way.

Loved the wrinkles on the out of bounds play from under the hoop. One time McD rolled in, then KB our to three and down baseline and then screen and pivot from brunk.

Loved several of the backcuts.

5. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,034
    I hate the idea of an 8 man rotation. That’s especially the case on a night when 2/3 of the 8 are actively harming the team. Hard to preach accountability and then not even give a guy like David/Butler a crack at it when McDermott and Jorgensen clearly don’t have it. I think McDermott just left his man again to dig down on a 3 foot tall driver.....Staff very much has a double standard as to what will/won’t get certain players pulled. David would be banished to Siberia if he made some of the egregious defensive errors McDermott and Jorgensen did last night.

6. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $199
    Thought Tucker and David had minutes available from McD and Jorgensen last night. When PJ is on...it's real nice. When he is not...just the opposite. I really think he can be more impactful coming in as 6th man and go with the ready shoot aim gun to see what happens. If he is on it will be instant offense. Then there is the size and length factor with Tucker. McD had a bad game, which happens. Should have opened up some additional minutes for Tucker and David.

7. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,034
    I should have clarified, but my McDermott issues are confined just to last night’s game for the most part. The Jorgensen issues have been season long, though his defense is usually at least average whereas last night he was undisciplined (frankly, he was 1 of 8 players who played undisciplined defense last night).

I will also hedge that my player critiques involve the assumption that the game plan from the coaches did not include leaving a quality 3 point shooting team wide open from 3.

BoyGeoff likes this.
  8. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,777
    And it is not a bad thing as long as it is his style of play and not his attitude.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

9. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,470
    Honestly, it would be nice to see this in BE conference play this year.

willisbrown likes this.
  10. WMUDog

WMUDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $233
    No seniors in that line up. Man, next year could be special. (This year should be good though).

BHayden likes this.
  11. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,119
    One was not "probably a bad call", it was an absolutely miserable call, from every angle.

The one you are forgetting was very end of the first half, Tucker grabbed a rebound while falling out of bounds, tried to save it back out to Brunk and the pass was intercepted and led to the half court heave by Presbyterian to end the half.

Only one legitimate turnover IMO.

Hinkle likes this.
  12. BUdawgsfan04

BUdawgsfan04 Member

Money:
    $180
    I think we are missing a power forward who can score in the low post. Andrew Chrabascz would have put 20+ on that team last night. I look at Bryce Golden and I like his potential in that role. Obviously not this year but for next year to go along with Brunk and offer low post scoring and outside shooting as a big.

BHayden likes this.
  13. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,707
    I had to laugh every time that #5 started to bring the ball up the court, saw AT start to head his way, and pass the ball off to anyone else! AT was so in that guys head he might need therapy today! Watching AT in warmups last night shooting, his stroke has gotten so smooth and confident that he needs to shoot more. Would really make his driving, which is really good, effortless when they had to get up on him at the 3 point line.

The rest of the game was a little sleepy except when we got mad because the Hookers got chippy with us. Tucker looked good and when he gets better into the flow he will be a difference maker.

14. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $366
    Maybe its just because of the personnel that they have now but LaVall seems to like the position-less game. Right now, the "Power Forwards" are technically McDermott and Tucker. Which both of them could put up 20+ if they wanted. I believe that Brunk offers enough low post scoring that if we got another low post PF on the court at the same time as Brunk, it could get too congested and might cause a few more double teams. I would rather get another low post scoring 5 in the future... Maybe thats JMM? while also keep recruiting forwards that have some height and the ability to create their own shot anywhere from the floor.

bumba likes this.
  15. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $199
    But...IMO you have to be super athletic to foot the bill for positionless. If you are smaller in frame not necessarily length, which we are, you should not be consistently beaten off the first step. The overplay eventually leads to open looks. So it is a function of athleticism. We are a team that has shown trouble guarding big's that can shoot. IU's Morgan and in the first half Presbyt's Lewis. He went cold in 2nd half. We will be dealing with this all season long. It is our glaring weakness defensively.

Tentozen likes this.
  16. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,470
    I'd rather have either McD or Tucker on the floor than PJ at this point. If McD can crash the boards and Tucker can be a stretch outside shooter (based on the limited sample we've seen), I think that makes us potentially dangerous.

I also think if Fowler & PJ came off the bench it could open up shots for both of them. We desperately need an inside-outside set to get PJ's shooting confidence up. Add Baddeley in there for defense & David for occasional minutes and you have 9 deep that's solid.

I'm also going to say this, though it may not be popular. The Kamar hero ball at the end of the game is getting predictable. BE conference teams will plan for this & shut him down. We need a bonafied second scorer at the end of games.

BoyGeoff likes this.
  17. Tentozen

Tentozen Active Member

Money:
    $538
    Bench production ( HB, JB, JT) was outstanding. 28 pts., 16 boards and 7 assists. 10-18 from the field, and 4-9 from three. Brunk with 4 of the assists; like how he is looking to pass out of the double team.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

BoyGeoff likes this.
  18. chas1116

chas1116 Active Member

Money:
    $249
    I got to the game extremely late and was up in the Club Seats at the CRC so kind of far away to notice, but my initial reaction of Jordan Tucker is that he has the body of a Grant Hill. I get it- let's pump the brakes on any NBA player comparison but I can't think of another Butler player in the last 20 years that is as tall, athletic and chiseled as JT- certainly not Kelan, Dunham, Rose, Howard, Mack or Hayward

19. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,088
    I think people are forgetting about Nze at the 4 as well next year. That dude has an absolute motor on him we are going to love...Let me salivate for a second with a AT KB JT McD JB Battle, Baddley, Golden Nze, Hastings and RS JMM

BHayden likes this.
  20. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,088
    From the eye test we potentially have 3 kinda NBA talent right now not saying any will get there but you can make an argument that AT can get himself there with his continued improvement, he's a leader, a winner, and a hardworker. If TJ McConnell is still getting 20 mins some nights for the Sixers AT can definitely get there