Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,872
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  2. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,099
    This has the makings of a potential "grind-it-out" type of game. UC-Irvine has already acquired their fair share of road victories so far this season and they love to slow down the pace on both ends of the floor. For the last home game of the non-conference schedule, this will not be a pushover for the Dawgs.

As always, I posted my preview for the game but, for those who listened to my podcast appearance, I also write Big East power rankings every other Thursday so my updated edition is also below:

Potential keys to success for Butler vs. UC-Irvine (link)

Updated Big East power rankings (link)

How are you all feeling about this one and what would you like to see?

3. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,169
    I am feeling good about it, provided that Butler comes out with some fire to start the game. I also would like to see some guys recognize they are just "off" that night and look to help the offense instead of just keep firing.

I am hoping that Nate Fowler's ankle is fine. But I haven't heard anything. I know he played the 2nd half, but I have rolled my ankle enough to know it's 2 days later that hurts more. Any updates?

BoyGeoff likes this.
  4. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,680
    I was wondering about the ankle also, but after the first few mins of warmups in the second half I didn't notice any tentativeness jumping or landing on that foot. That's a good sign that it was only a tweak of the ankle vs a tearing sprain. (Wild speculation, but how my multiple grade 1-3+ ankle sprains have gone and how I reacted.)

The two very distinct styles and big centers is a huge advantage that some on here fail to appreciate. Being able to swap them back and forth giving the other teams totally different looks and feels at both ends is huge at keeping teams off balance. (Not always, but it is a factor.) I think as the team gets more comfortable in their roles and what to expect of players, the mins will move to match ups and who is feeling it that game vs a straight even split. But so far that has worked well most nights, so it might not need to be adjusted much at all.

This game might be one where the size of the other team might be an issue, but not just the centers. How we handle all that will be interesting to see. If Golden is ready tonight it would be a good test to see him out there? If not we might get a good idea how Tucker handles bigger guys on defense. And we might start to get an idea if he gets used as a change of pace with McD or if we go bigger with both of them at times. I like both of those options and think they both have merit from what little we've seen of Tucker so far.

Hope my wife's birthday dinner will be over in time so see the start! :eek: (In Wisconsin, so the extra hour might help out with that!)

5. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,921
    Very impressive stat:

UC-Irvine has ranked in the top 18 in 2 point defense each of the last SEVEN years. Obviously they’re generally playing lesser competition, but so is every other mid major. That coach clearly knows what he’s doing on that end.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

6. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,980
    If we haven't burned Golden by now than he won't shouldn't be burned at this point right before conference openers unless absolutely needed as in we are down to 5 players

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Butler Hoops mobile app

7. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,307
    I would have thought that a decision would be made on redshirts for Hastings and Golden by this point in the season. Are they still evaluating health issues, or is it something else?

Sent from my SM-G892U using Butler Hoops mobile app

8. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,871
    Why do they need to make a decision? What happens if Brunk or Fowler were injured?

9. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,039
    You burn the RS like Creighton did last year.

10. godogs91

godogs91 Active Member

Money:
    $3,140
    I could be wrong, but I don't think they have to actually make a formal decision, although it seems to have been custom to do so. Still, if the need arose, I think they can rescind that decision and decide to burn the year.

I wonder if/when basketball will follow in the steps of football and allow a player to compete in x number of games before they lose the year of eligibility.

11. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,921
    I don’t think there’s much doubt at this point that Hastings is being redshirted. I think golden is just on standby. If Brunk and Fowler both stay healthy, it’s a redshirt. If not, there’s not much of a choice but to burn it. You have to play someone bigger than our wings, and you can’t play Nate or Brunk 40 mins.

But there’s really no need to make a formal announcement about it, and in fact it may make most sense to NOT make a formal determination to keep them playing/practicing as if they may play in 2 weeks rather than 10 months.

12. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,307
  13. mwall787

mwall787 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,201
    ButlerNut likes this.
  14. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,872
    I agree with the first part of your post. The second part I think is actually an interesting debate. Do players develop better if they prepare as if they might be needed in games? My gut says it's the opposite. They can focus less on film study and more on personal development. They can focus more on strengthening their own weaknesses instead of incorporating their current strengths into the current system/team. They can spend more effort on building their body without worry about being sore on game days or anything like that.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  15. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,872
    Several people have talked about Brunk starting. A lot of times the older player starts because that is simply the status quo. Now there is an excuse to change that. It's going to be interesting to see if Brunk starts tomorrow even if Fowler is healthy enough to play and if so, will Brunk stay in the starting role even after Fowler is fully healthy.

bumba and SpartanDawgs like this.
  16. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $49
    This is going to be a tough game. Butler needs to do the little things tomorrow to make sure they get the win. Should be interesting to see how they try and attack the paint against UC-Irvine, because they are great at defending it.

17. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    You bring up another interesting debate, but I probably would rather my players spend more time strengthening their strengths rather than their weaknesses.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

18. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,872
    I guess that’s a complicated topic and would be very player specific. I would say 3 point shooting is a weakness for Aaron Thompson, and I certainly want him working on that a ton the next 2+ years. I would also say it’s a weakness for Brunk, but it’s probably not something I want him focusing on. I do understand what you are saying though about improving their strengths.

19. Tentozen

Tentozen Active Member

Money:
    $534
    They have a 10 game road winning streak, tying Virginia for longest in division 1. Attending my first game of the year. Hope the right streak continues.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

20. nicklas_early

nicklas_early Member

Money:
    $184
    Bought some cheap tickets on Stubhub for this game. First time being able to get back to Hinkle since Belmont came to town 12/28/14. It’s been way too long. Curious to see who would absorb Fowler’s minutes if he can’t give it a go.

bmradio99, BU_NeonHat and willisbrown like this.