Jared Grubbs

Butler Bulldogs (8-3) vs UC-Irvine Anteaters (11-2) - 12/21

Jared Grubbs, Dec 20, 2018

Settled
  1. NateDog

NateDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $418
    My fondest memory of Gottlieb was in 2010 when he seemed mad that Butler was in the national title game, and predicted Duke to "win, and win big."

I just get this "when the blue bloods are at their best and there are no good/talented underdog teams, college basketball is at it's best" type of vibe from him over the years.

2. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,585
    Try listening to his radio show. Your ears will fall off.

Tentozen likes this.
  3. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,160
    Skip Bayless & Jim Rome have made entire careers out of it. Sad but shock value equals ratings.

4. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,160
    Wasn't my response. Those of us old schoolers can remember when "flick" meant coaches complaining we were shooting with bad form & both hands on the ball at release. No idea if this is what he meant.

5. jeff

jeff Well-Known Member

Money:
    $307
    Exactly. I know it's still a small sample size but Tucker looks like he will have a big impact. He hasn't scored in close but he definitely can drive to the hoop, I think the refs missed a couple of calls when he was hacked going for layups. His defense looked ok as well. I hope they keep David in the rotation as well. The fact that we can 9 or even 10 deep is a plus that we should try to use to our advantage.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Butler Hoops mobile app

6. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,697
    Don’t watch those two clowns.

7. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,384
    If he’s coming off the bench, doesn’t that mean he’s a backup?

I all seriousness, I get what you’re saying. That’s going to be a crowded house to get into, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

8. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,371
    My favorite memory is when he committed credit card fraud and had to leave Notre Dame.

9. Tark43

Tark43 Active Member

Money:
    $345
    Gottlieb is a one-time Indiana kid as he played some at Notre Dame. As has been said many times, Butler's got much more credibility outside the state than in. Too many instate people, most notably Dan Dakich, see butler as what they were in, say, 1990.

10. FRENCH DAWG

FRENCH DAWG Active Member

Money:
    $203
    If you watch Jorgenson’s release from deep three shots, he will occasionally use his thump on his off hand to help propel the ball towards the basket. This is a common practice in youngsters who find it difficult to catapult a ball 10 feet in the air and is a habit many of them break as they get older and stronger. Sometimes it comes back , unconsciously, in certain situations. Perhaps this is what is meant by flicking.

11. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,697

12. chas1116

chas1116 Active Member

Money:
    $239
    Rotenone Clark was literally the best pure shooter I have ever seen in my life. The only disappointment was that we only had Rotenone for 1 year. Had Rotenone been on the Hayward/Mack/Howard teams we could very easily 2 NCAA Champion banners hanging in HF

BoyGeoff and dawgs2014 like this.
  13. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,432
    "Flicking" is slang for overshooting.

A "flick" could refer either to a player who flicks a lot:
    "Man, he's such a flick!"

Or to the shot itself:
    "Did you see that? He jacked up yet another flick."

I'm editing this to add that the term "flick" was what people called it where I played ball growing up in Indy. Maybe no one else uses it. I dunno.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  14. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,683
    I dunno. Toss up between Rotnei, Pete Campbell, or Darnell Archey.

15. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,521
    Archey was as pure as they come, but Rotnei was faster....

16. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,585
    Rotnei's trigger was AK 47 fast. Dude could launch from wherever, whenever.

kmacker69 likes this.
  17. chas1116

chas1116 Active Member

Money:
    $239
    While you are at it you can add Dunham to the list too, possibly Graves. Stigall on any given day could shoot the lights out but as mentioned above- Clarke was had the range of Jorgensen but could get that shot off regardless of who was on him. Campbell was automatic when wide open (kind of like McDermott).

18. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,683
    Disagree with pretty much all of this. Dunham was a great shooter but not in the same league. But he’s close so I’ll give you that.

I loved Graves and have a #4 Butler jersey, but he was overrated as a “shooter”. Career 35.1%. He did so many other things well, however.

Stigall on this list is a complete joke. Career 29.8%. That’s terrible for a shooter.

McDermott is not as good as Campbell, but I see the comparison you’re making. Pete shot 51.9% and 45.7% for Butler! That’s insane.

ButlerNut, Tentozen and estar20dawg like this.
  19. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $1,939
    As pure shooters go, Campbell was in a league of his own. I remember him going 8-9 in one game. As for some of the all around good guys - Mike Green and Julian Betko - I’m biased because they were there when I was there, but for basketball guys (who in the weight room and such didn’t talk too much other than the occasional hello [this goes for Graves and Dunham when I talked with them]), Green and Betko were definitely the most personable during my time there around Hinkle. Mike would talk to our group of football guys any time.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

20. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,913
    I think people are not giving Dunham enough credit. The degree of difficulty on basically all of his shots was preposterous. We don’t think of him as that great of a catch and shoot shooter because he was so good that he basically never got that opportunity.

bwesson15 and Hinkle like this.