Jared Grubbs

Butler Bulldogs (8-3) vs UC-Irvine Anteaters (11-2) - 12/21

Jared Grubbs, Dec 20, 2018

Settled
  1. SRG

SRG Member

Money:
    $35,528
    There is not a single computer model that adjusts for the addition of Tucker and Golden for the end of season record. Thus I think our ceiling just increased by several wins.

DawgPoundMac, jeff, Tentozen and 5 others like this.
  2. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,212
    Butler can be the best team in conference...my play would be Marquette or nova for that with butler about 11-7 and a 3rd-4th place finish. Getting this W at Florida would be a monster. Just by luck they and ole miss will stumble into a couple upper level SEC wins. And the SEC is loaded.

3. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $712
    TBH, I am torn with Golden seeing the floor. It makes me feel better hearing that it was Bryce's decision. All I can say is, he better play REAL minutes this year. It does give us a, potentially, higher ceiling this year and, if he plays real minutes, makes us even better next year.

Maybe this means the staff thinks we are in the lead on Caleb Furst...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Butler Hoops mobile app

Hinkle likes this.
  4. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,212
    I'm not torn if LaVall commits to it and gives him true run. Plus, another big is a great thing and Fowler is what he is...meh. Brunk and Golden at least have skillz.

BoyGeoff and estar20dawg like this.
  5. bwesson15

bwesson15 Active Member

What's the odds that Nate never hits another 3 lol so far he is 0-9 this season.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Butler Hoops mobile app

6. Tentozen

Tentozen Active Member

Money:
    $533
    And good to see, at least for the last few games, he has been staying out of foul trouble.
    For a while, seemed like he was always picking up a quick 2. Think he has led us in minutes the last couple games; showing how important he is.

7. chas1116

chas1116 Active Member

Money:
    $249
    Wasn't it just yesterday when he hit that monster 3 to win the game at Georgetown??

bwesson15 likes this.
  8. pharmtard09

pharmtard09 Active Member

Money:
    $15
    Well we are 0-2 in the A-10 this season.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

pjohnsto2003 likes this.
  9. bwesson15

bwesson15 Active Member

Yup i don't know what happened to his shot. His sophomore year he shot 47% last year it dropped to 33% and we know how this year is going lol.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Butler Hoops mobile app

10. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,155
    Just reading the thread now...but when I heard Gottlieb I was feeling the same way. Then when I saw him...DAMN. He looks like he has been hitting the sauce on a four day bender and someone woke him up just for the game.

11. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,578
    I’m glad I’m not the only one who noticed that. He looked ROUGH.

ButlerNut likes this.
  12. Clevedog

Clevedog Active Member

Money:
    $284
    I haven't followed his career much lately, but a few years back I thought he did a good job on providing analysis.

13. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,447
    I don’t understand how guys like Gottlieb get these gigs nor how they keep them. He is awful and arrogant.

Hinkle likes this.
  14. bu1973

bu1973 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $537
    A few thoughts on the game:
    1. We should remember that Tucker has only played approximately one college basketball game in his entire career at this point in time. His per minute production is remarkable for that period of time. I think he will only get better and more productive in a variety of ways. I would like to see him pull up at the mid-range if the lane is not open. I also wonder if he can post up a smaller defender. Finally, he seems to be a perfect player to run the high post against a zone. Really exciting to see how he develops his game and learns the defense.
    2. I can well see a couple of BE games with Brunk and Fowler with 2 fouls at the 5 minute 1st half mark and we will be exceedingly glad we have Golden available. That being said, I think he is more a big 4 body which we will need against certain opponents. We saw how tough it was for McD against a big posting 4 yesterday.
    3. I was really happy to see David get an extended run and that he made some plays. It is another mark of how far Butler has come in a decade or so that he may not be a regular rotation player this season. Can you imagine his minutes on some of the teams since 2000?
    4. I suspect that Baldwin is a much happier camper being option 1A or 1B with Tucker rather than being option 1. This should free him a bit and take some of the pressure off of him to have to constantly create shots. That being said the worst our offense looked yesterday was the beginning of the second half when Baldwin tried to do too much.
    5. Our first half defense yesterday was nasty.
    6. For the first time since we entered the BE, I do not feel that we physically and athletically over matched in every game. Allocating playing time between productive players will be a big challenge for Coach as that is not a problem he or any other Butler coach has ever faced. At least not to this level. It looks like that problem will be magnified next season and will be part of his learning curve.
    7. Good game by PJ. When he is hitting and plays within himself, we are a tough out. Watching AT play defense is almost as much fun as watching a great shooter.
    Last night was a perfect way to start the long Christmas -New Years vacation period.

DawgPoundMac likes this.
  15. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,155
    Ok...got the game over. Read the board. Not much to add. This may have been the most complete game the Dawgs have played (start to finish) all year. When Irvine made that mini run to get it to 10, Butler answered immediately and it was over. A couple things to add:

1. McDermott did the best he could at a 4 being backed down by a guy 4 inches taller and 30 pounds bigger. Held his own and stayed between the man and the basket.
    2. Tucker looked great on offense. I know the official line only showed him with 2 turnovers, but I think a couple TO's were attributed to others. He stepped out of bounds and traveled, but I think a couple passes also went right through his hands. I know he still needs time, and I am not concerned. But I think it's been overlooked.
    3. Tucker has yet to hit a 2 pointer this year. Amazing stat. But all 3 buckets for him were 3 pointers last night.
    4. Not sure about how I feel about Golden losing his redshirt. Gottlieb said that Jordan talked to Golden and his family and asked them what they wanted to do, and Golden said he wanted to play. I respect that the coach, the player, and the family talked it over.

Enjoy the holidays, Dawgs. You have a big game coming, on the road, in a week. Go get it!

DawgPoundMac likes this.
  16. WestLoopDog

WestLoopDog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,653
    Personally, I don't mind (and even like) Gottlieb's commentary. Yes, he can be a bit of a Know-it-all (but I think most of the ex-players/coaches who do commentary are). And I truly believe that he respects and likes Butler basketball. I remember him having an epiphany during the Hawaii Christmas tourney (2010-2011) about Butler. He started out that week being critical of Butler (not athletic, not fast, not big, blah, blah, blah), but finally learned and appreciated Butler basketball for what it is -- highly successful because the players are well-coached, gritty, smart and play team-first ball. I'd much rather have him do our games than Vitale, Bilas, Dakich, Dykes, or many of the others.

17. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $191
    Nice re-cap. Agree with you on all!

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

18. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,447
    I can see Golden's decision considering his positive attitude and where he could work his way into a backup position before too long.

19. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,850
    Seriously, bumba, can you please explain?

20. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $712
    It all goes back to when he threw 2 of them off of the backboard against UNC in the Sweet 16 game. We were hoping he would be able to pull their bigs out.... nope! Hasn't been able to shoot since.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Butler Hoops mobile app

bwesson15 likes this.