Butler Bulldogs (9-0) at Baylor Bears (7-1) - 12/10

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by bmradio99, Dec 9, 2019.

1. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,020
    Butler wins this game if it’s played anywhere but At Baylor

PharmDDawg, #60, Insane Dawg and 7 others like this.
  2. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,593
    With anyone other than those three officiating it

estar20dawg, PharmDDawg, #60 and 5 others like this.
  3. dippper61

dippper61 Member

Money:
    $162
    This should be a layup but name the movie......” sometimes when you win, you really lose, and sometimes when you lose, you really win, and sometimes when you win or lose, you actually tie, and sometimes when you tie, you actually win or lose”.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

4. harvesting

harvesting Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $262
    Tucker needed to be in the game for offense. I am a fan of Nze but for the last 5 min of this game I think it would have benefited us to have AT, Baldwin, McD, Tucker and David. They have to do better at getting McD especially tonight when he’s 6/8 more looks, Tucker too. And Kamar has to see the floor better. Drive in, kick it back out. Make the pass when it’s there, David was there. Sean played a great game, wish he could have had more opportunities to shoot.

willisbrown likes this.
  5. indienapolis

indienapolis Active Member

Money:
    $345
    pappyball, ButlerNut and bmradio99 like this.
  6. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,673
    The Tucker treatment...ok I get he didn't dive but this was a game a couple of his threes could have helped.

I thought Kamar played well, but he took 24 shots. That's just too much.

Nze was terrible. But that will happen over the course of a season, everyone will have an off night.

McD was excellent. Why we can't run plays for him late game I will have no idea. He's a sniper. Let him fire away. Win or lose with that.

The defense was outstanding the second half. The effort was there but the execution offensively just was not. That's on the staff as they need to reel in Baldwin and run sets for others. Hopefully that will get fixed.

All in all, I expected worse, especially with the start to this game. We battled, we showed we can d up against anyone. That's a positive. The zero tolerance with Tuck and the Baldwin going one on the rest...not going to hack it against the level of play we will see going forward. LaVall has to make adjustments offensively because defensively, we should be in about every game.

ButlerNut, BoyGeoff, seadawg and 2 others like this.
  7. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,020
    So I couldn’t watch the first half and watched the second on the train home from the city, but a few things:

1. Nze had two possessions in a row that really hurt. Got a rebound and passed too quick and Baylor stole it. Then next possession another bad pass that was stolen. That cost us.

2. That was not even close to a charge on Kamar. Call cost us.

3. Wish Kamar had stopped and pump faked. He would have had a wide open shot. Or maybe looked at someone else since it was obvious to everyone he was taking the shot.

4. Two Top 20 teams and Baylor had a bunch of empty seats. Sad.

5. Butler is a great team and is better than Baylor.

8. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,432
    Butler's defense was outstanding, particularly in the 2nd half. We moved up in KP (and passed Baylor) to 11th. KP particularly liked what our defense did in this game--now we are 17th in offense and 17th in defense--I below we were around 30 in defense before this game.

Baylor won the battle on the offensive glass--prior to the game they were known as elite, but we are also really good. That was one of many small things that made the difference.

joliebeth23 likes this.
  9. Bulldawg

Bulldawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $638
    These are the kind of losses you learn a lot from. This team showed so much heart and played excellent defense in the second half. Was really proud to watch them play. Things didn’t fall right in the end but with all the poor calls both ways something was bound to break badly for us, still a great effort and a loss you can learn from

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

znelson15 likes this.
  10. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $789
    Just looked at that; out scored 14-1 from the bench. CD played 22 minutes and didn’t take a shot. He played good D, but has to bring a little offense if he’s going to play that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

znelson15 and willisbrown like this.
  11. harvesting

harvesting Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $262
    Yes! To all of that. I guess we don’t really know why Tucker was on the bench and I think it’s important for the coach to be the coach and stand your ground. However there were other questionable decisions made and I’m not sure how you bench one and let others slide. I don’t guess I will ever know .

2xDawg likes this.
  12. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,673
    He has his role. Problem is you can't let him have that much playing time being a one way player. Either step up and do something on that end or get spot minutes for defensive possessions. There is no reason why he gets 22, and Tucker gets like 2. You are playing 4 on 5 offensively with him out there. Do I think he has some skill? Yes. t they don't even look for him. IF you're going to play him that much, run some looks for him and see if he can get it done. We will get slaughtered in the big east playing 4 on 5. That's just fact. And I think David has it in him to contribute at least a little. Get him in rhythm and let him prove it.

Tentozen likes this.
  13. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,508
    For those discussing playing time...Butler essentially ran only a six-man rotation in the second half with the starters plus Christian David. I'm not sure it really had much to do with the play of Baddley/Battle/Tucker at all, just the matchup. David fit the defensive necessities and filled a major role. He played well and was +15 in 22 minutes on the floor as the only player on the entire team with a positive +/-. Feels like Butler's bench minutes are determined by game-by-game fit and that makes sense. Tucker had the biggest individual advantage against Florida and was the key bench contributor - it was David tonight. I'm sure that as the season goes on there will be times when Battle is that guy, or Smits, or Baddley. The depth is there but there aren't that many minutes to go around considering the core four of Baldwin/Thompson/McDermott/Nze are going to be on the floor for 28+ minutes/night each. Gotta ride the guy with the right matchup and that will change on a game-by-game basis.

(Note: My takeaways article will come out at 8:00 am ET. Late night for me :) )

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  14. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $16,803
    I have no idea why Tucker got benched. I hope it wasn’t for not diving on the floor. It’s not like he wasn’t hustling. He didn’t dive because he was trying to stay on his feet and turn it into points. It’s kind of like in football how a player gets criticized if he tries to run with a fumble and fails, but if he successfully picks it up and scores everyone raves about how he wasn’t content with just getting the ball, he made a play and turned it into points. If Tucker was a little stronger with the ball he probably draws a foul and we are praising him for coming up with that crazy loose ball.

15. DawgPoundMac

DawgPoundMac Active Member

Money:
    $231
    I’m bummed we lost of course and disagree with some of the decisions of the team, play calling, and some questioning reffing at times, but overall I think was a very respectable effort.

This team’s defense is awesome. Definitely the best since the 2014/2015 squad, and I absolutely loved that team too. Someone’s play who won’t show up in the playbook all the time, but has been fantastic on defense, is David. The guy was really impressive at locking down his guys the last few games. I loved seeing him get all those minutes tonight even if he isn’t a consistent offensive machine.

huss587, godogs91, Woof and 2 others like this.
  16. kac12568

kac12568 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,033
    Rosie Perez's character, Gloria Clemente gives that memorable speech to Billy Hoyle in White Men Can't Jump. That was too easy.... (no need for Google on that question)

17. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,737
    I had hoped LJ would have considered using a set where KB would been a decoy in the final seconds. None the less a great effort in which BU showed a ton of poise. The wasted shots in the 1st half proved costly in the end.

18. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $14,192
    Jared someone stole your handle

BoyGeoff likes this.
  19. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $14,192
    In the second half Butler’s defense was elite and I mean elite. Baylor got very few good looks and rarely a second shot.

How did Nze miss a dunk? Battles misses an easy lay up. KB gets tackled stopping a fast break resulting with a three for them. That’s nine points right there.

We had only 11 turnovers 8 by KB and Nze. The stats for both teams were incredibly even. Both are top twenty teams.

Tentozen and #60 like this.
  20. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,519
    Too bad. Winnable game. Nze and Thompson both were pretty bad. Not a good time for both to have a bad game. Second biggest waste of money in the Athletic Department, the wax board for drawing up set plays. Just give the ball to Baldwin. Appears that is about as creative as we're going to get this year. Guess McD isn't an option???? Why in the world was Thompson even in for the last 7.9 seconds? For offense? For defense? Apparently didn't need any additional rebounders on that play, cause nobody crashed the boards anyway, in case Baldwin missed. Rotations are always strange. The officiating was excessively "homer," more so than you would expect in an away game. Agree with others, in a game like this one is getting called, you'll continue to get abused if the coach sits on his hands and doesn't complain. Fricking Coach K pi$$es and moans every possession whenever a ref runs by. Should be able to find a happy median. With all the negatives they still almost pulled it out. The effort in the second half was much better than first. Would have been a big win. Repeating. Too bad. Winnable game.

Geoffrey Bannister likes this.