Butler Bulldogs (9-1) vs Indiana Hoosiers (8-1) - 12/17

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Irishdawg, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $72
    [​IMG] vs. [​IMG]
    KenPom Rankings

19th - Overall - 14th
    20th - Offense - 12th
    27th - Defense - 30th
    254th - Tempo - 185th

Time: 5:00 PM Eastern
    TV: BTN
    Radio: 107.5 FM​

BHayden likes this.
  2. Irishdawg

Money:
    $72
    I'll let Jared set up and add the v wagers, but figured we ought to set up the thread for this one.

3. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,531
    This is certainly an intriguing match up.

4. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,032
    From my perspective, our success will depend primarily on two things:

1. Will Martin be smart about picking his spots on offense. He will likely be guarded by OG Anunoby, who is one of the better defenders in the country. If Kelan has over 12 shot attempts, I highly doubt we will win because I'm guessing he won't have that many good opportunities. We have better matchups on offense (i.e. whoever James Blackmon is guarding).

2. Chrabs' effectiveness vs. Thomas Bryant's length.

5. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,048
    Such an interesting match up.
    • IU is terrible at both turning it over and creating turnovers: sub-300 in each category, and we all know what kind of schedule they've played (the individual stats aren't adjusted for opponent!).
    • Butler is particularly good at both creating turnovers and not giving the rock away: top-26 in each.
    • IU is elite at nabbing offensive boards, ranking seventh and grabbing over 40% of their misses.
    • Butler has struggled on the defensive glass against decent teams.

The winner of this one may simply be whichever team can exploit one of those above weaknesses the best.

I think I'd rather be the team that has to keep the opposition's offense off the glass than the team that has to try to learn to protect the ball in a week.

Josh Newkirk is playing the point for them and has a really, really high turnover rate. Baldwin has one of the highest steal rates in the country. I'd love to put Baldwin on him and tell him to eat, but I don't know what you'd do with Lewis. Their 2 guards are all 6-3+ and pretty strong.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    Bulldawg and shafferj like this.
  6. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,048
    Chrab could do some real work this game on the offensive end. If they put OG on Martin (and they likely will), I'm not sure who will guard Chrab. They frequently run 3 guard lineups (Blackmon, Johnson, Newkirk - all 6-3ish). Of course, conversely, I'm not sure who Chrab guards if the two teams run their typical lineups.

Just an incredibly interesting matchup all around.

7. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,454
    I think it all comes down to stopping dribble penetration. IU's offense is built on driving, forcing help and kicking it out to an open shooter. IPFW did a good job of stopping penetration, and without that IU's offense stagnated.

Also, whoever is being guarded by Blackman needs to attack him all game. He usually has no interest in playing defense.

Finally, this will only be IU's 2nd game in 13 days (and that was against Houston Baptist). So I fully expect they might have some rust. IU is a team that really feeds off of crowd energy. So the longer the Dawgs can keep the crowd out of it (especially while IU hopefully works off some rust) the better. Because once the crowd full of grown men wearing candy-striped pants start getting loud, IU usually responds with a run.

8. Colin Taylor

Colin Taylor Active Member

Money:
    $236
    Player Comparisons...In my opinion

James Balckmon Jr is basically their Avery Woodson, but from what I've seen of him Woodson looks to be a better defender but Blackmon tends to be a much more consistent shooter.

Josh Newkirk and Tyler Lewis being matched up together seems to be an even matchup, although Newkirk has the height and defensive advantage, I feel Lewis is by far the smarter player of offensive and is willing/capable of defending Newkirk

OG and Kelan...OG is the better player, and Kelan can't really defend very talented and athletic players ex-OG. So IU has this matchup of Titans won, but if Kelan doesn't play ahead of his mind, I've got a feeling Butler can come out on top

Bryant and Wideman both are considered rim protectors, but with Tyler being only 6'8 and Bryant be 6'11, it will be on the defensive side for Wideman to decide whether or not he sees much action against Bryant without having to call for a double team. Because Thomas is a far superior offensive player compared to Wideman

Robert Johnson = Kamar Baldwin...will be interesting, both are big threats on either side of the floor

Kethan Savage and Curtis Jones will be intriguing, although Savave is still catching his wind from pneumonia, Jones is a Freshman so Kethan should have the mental advantage. But Jones can shoot, and shoot he will so Kethan will be on his heels whenever they are matched up together.

Chrabs and Juwan Morgan will more than likely be a slugfest. Chrabs will be taking a lot of charges due to Morgan constantly lowering his shoulder on drives. Morgan is...this seems to be an ongoing theme...the better athlete but Chrabascz is a much smarter player

McRoberts and McD both serve as energy players for teams, McRoberts is stronger but McD is the better shooter and defender. Look for Butler to exploit this matchup

Nate Fowler and DeRon Davis are both 6'10, but Davis is by FAR the better athlete so IU might look to use him more than usual. But with Fowler's brain and offensive rebound percentage, I feel it will be a fun matchup to watch

McSwain is kinda like thier Baddley, but don't expect to see that matchup much, because Baddley may not see the floor

As for Brunk, I'm not entirely sure he will see much more than 5 minutes at the most this game. So as far as his role, I'm comparing his to Gelon and Green on IU, partly because I don't know much about them

So from what I wrote above, IU has the better athletes and Butler has a smarter group of players. And since IU is basically a much better version of Cincy with better guards, I feel IU will win in a very close and hard fought game, as much as I want Butler to win...I say IU 78 - Butler 76

Sent from my LG-H910 using Butler Hoops mobile app

pjohnsto2003 and shafferj like this.
  9. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,739
    All I have to say is I hate them, I hope they all die, and Crean is a turd. Let's get it. **** these ****ing **** face **** ass **** eating ****s.

ButlerHomer, Dawgs2412 and troggy like this.
  10. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,653
    Butler has the better HC and ACs.

tjreese likes this.
  11. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,048
    This is embarrassing. C'mon.

12. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $380
    Anyone think Mcdermott can guard OG? If not in foul trouble....

Haven't seen much of OG but I would put McD on him

13. Irishdawg

Money:
    $72
    No, I don't think he can. From the perimeter, maybe, but as soon as OG starts driving into him, he's in trouble, IMO.

14. Dunhamfor3

Dunhamfor3 Active Member

Money:
    $72
    Coaching is worth 5-10pts per game. Butler has a clear in game advantage. I think that will be the difference in a very close game.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

15. BHayden

BHayden Active Member

Money:
    $456
    OG has not looked good offensively this year against good teams, as he lacks the ability to create good shots for himself. I think Kelan is much better offensively but obviously OG is the better defender. This will be OG's first game back from a bad ankle sprain though so it will be interesting to see if he is 100%. The players to be most worried about for Butler are Blackmon and Bryant. I think Butler gets it done because they are more deliberate and smarter with their possessions. 76-74. Dawgs.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

16. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,048
    From the Indiana Rivals board:

We have too much talent to lose to Butler and too many offensive weapons to lose to Louisville. Both teams are overrated at this point...With or without OG, no worries, we'll have an advantage at every position (except coaching). Louisville will give us more problems, especially ball pressure where they excel and we have a problem handling but they're so limited offensively that they don't worry me much either, both teams will fall in the rankings once they get into their conference. I rarely make predictions, but I believe we blow out Butler and win a close one against L'ville.

17. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,653
    At least he/she recognizes IU does not have an advantage at coaching.

Bulldawg, SpartanDawgs and troggy like this.
  18. tlp63

tlp63 Member

Money:
    $114
    Agree with Hinkle, 100%

19. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,531
    As always this will be a game of runs. If we contain their offensive spurts and are around at the end, then I like our chances.

20. troggy

troggy Active Member

Money:
    $596
    I assume that Willis was just having fun. He annoys me sometimes but this wasn't one of them.