ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,446
    Georgetown -100 based on today's game!

3. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $14,142
    I needed something positive to do during this Flordia game. Thought I might as well get the next thread up.

4. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Super Moderator VIP Member

Money:
    $2,481
    Offensive efficiency fell slightly after the Florida game. Defensive efficiency plummeted.

Georgetown will always have a size and athletic advantage, and has done well at Hinkle, even with their crappy teams of the last couple of years. If I'm Patrick Ewing, I'm getting a zone ready for Wednesday.

5. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $792
    Absolutely gotta find a way to rebound with 2 home BE games this week & it starts with GT Wednesday. The Hoyas have won @ Hinkle the past two seasons while going just 3-13 in all other BE road games during that time. In those two wins Georgetown averaged 86 points/game & shot a combined 60-98 from the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

HoosierDawg likes this.
  6. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,446
    One of the keys is going to be their size and how physical they play. GT will provide a tough matchup if the shots aren't falling. And I am not sure how to negate their size.

7. Tentozen

Tentozen Active Member

Money:
    $365
    One way would be to not start 3 6’ guards.

Dunhamfor3 and SpartanDawgs like this.
  8. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,311
  9. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,151
    Don't play Fowler.

jkcdawgs, SpartanDawgs and BulldogCTM like this.
  10. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,151
  11. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,976
    I guess we will just have to wonder if the great team shows up or if that team that played last night shows up for the rest of the season. (There have been some games inbetween there also, but the highs and lows stand out!) We will not be on the bubble if we play like that away from home the rest of the season. I expect that we will play well the next few games and all will feel like maybe we have turned a corner. Welcome to a roller coaster season!

12. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,311
    Honestly, what great team? Beating up on Top 200 teams at home isn't impressive for a BE program. The real season starts this week.

I think we'll find out quickly where we stand & who steps up. There was no gray yesterday. It was clear how bad this team can be.

bmradio99 and HoosierDawg like this.
  13. Charles Moulton

Charles Moulton New Member

Money:
    $12
    There will be no bubble for Butler this year. You can take this post down and boot me out, but tuck this away for future reference: Butler Basketball, as we have known it, is at least temporarily a thing of the past. As long as Lavall Jordan is at the helm, the Dawgs are doomed to mediocrity. Last year was a classic example of the Mike Davis syndrome. Those deals last for a year--two at the most. I knew as I saw his miserable record at Milwaukee against the Horizon League no less--that this probably was not the man for the job. But he certainly deserved a chance. No question that he was was the "right man" to be hired--a great guy with lots of Butler tradition and connections. He was, no doubt, also an excellent interview because he is a great dresser and a great speaker. But unlike the duck analogy, looking like one and sounding like one does not make him a good coach. And how about being a great recruiter? Well, the bad thing about being a great recruiter and a poor coach is that with those credentials you still don't win when it counts. This could be referred to as the Tom Crean syndrome. Didn't we grow to love and appreciate the Butler Way--most recently under Stevens and Holtman? That play was best characterized by toughness, agressiveness, and discipline. Oh yeah, toughness defined by playing hard and physical all the time--not by chest pounding, muscle flexing, and taunting. That kind of "toughness" was previously not tolerated. The teams were also known to show respect for the American flag during the national anthem--all of them. But I digress.
    I attended the debacle at St. Johns last year. My friends, had you been there to witness that embarrassment, you would join me now in my criticism of Lavall. I know I am speaking to a loyal group of fans, but this year we are witnessing the same kind of performances on the road and it is pitiful compared to those glory years we all enjoyed just a short time ago. Maybe you all could at least talk it over a little. Thanks for letting me sound off a bit.

Robinzine Crying likes this.
  14. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,337
    Good point. Shouldn't be lulled into a false sense of achievement because of performances and "stuffed" stats against lesser competition. Butler is not a very good rebounding team, especially offensively. Second chance shots are rare. Can't shoot lights out in every game. We don't get to the foul line and are routinely outscored at the charity stripe because we settle way too often on perimeter shots when we could and should be working for better ones. Lots of poor shot selection. Key word here....."settle." And I think we could be a pretty good passing team but this current offense is more individually "break your man down" focused and not so much team oriented, like swinging the ball, inside out, back doors, picks away from the ball, little more north south and a little less east west, etc., etc., etc. Vast majority of the picking is almost exclusively on ball to aid in this individual-oriented break down style offense. Must be working for the staff because thirteen games in, haven't seen any significant changes in the approach or preparation to address these rather obvious weaknesses. Still poor rebounders, still don't get to the line very often, still settle for way too many ill-advised shots, still not a great passing team. Wonder if Coach Jordan starts the same five against Georgetown.

15. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,104
    I think you just answered your own question (or was that intended?).

16. jvoigt

jvoigt Member

Money:
    $47
    I'm hoping for a new starting lineup. I'd start Joey Brunk.

I'd also start Jordon Tucker instead of PJ. This would mean we only start 2 small guards instead of 3 small guards.

The 4 guard starting lineup we've been using is a liability in conference play where we're going to face bigger and stronger lineups. Georgetown starts 6' 10" Jesse Govan, 6' 8" Jamorko Pickett and 6' 7" Josh LeBlanc. Govan weighs 255 and is a real load. I see Georgetown pounding the ball inside.

HoosierDawg and bumba like this.
  17. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Super Moderator VIP Member

Money:
    $2,481
    I just want to see the team come out focused and running around with their hair on fire on defense. Shots may or may not fall, but the team can bring effort every night. Team will have ups and downs offensively, but as long as they keep bringing effort consistently, more times than not it'll result in a performance they can be proud of.

18. jeff

jeff Active Member

Money:
    $552
    We were 28 on Kenpom before Florida which by most accounts is a far better indicator then NET of how good a team actually is.
    We were also one of only 2 BE teams that were preforming better than their pre season Kenpom ranking.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Butler Hoops mobile app

19. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,292
    I expect BU to bounce back. They also have an opportunity to get off to a strong start in the BE.

20. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $1,523
    All I’m gonna say is that if you’re a player and the FL game doesn’t light a fire under your ass, then you have no sense of competitive spirit or pride.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018