Jared Grubbs

Butler Bulldogs (9-4) vs Georgetown Hoyas (10-3) - 1/3

Jared Grubbs, Dec 29, 2018

Settled
  1. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,697
    Watched the first ten minutes and paused the recording. What I saw was both AT and KB getting lost on defense leading to threes three. Baddley then was assigned to guarding Malinowski and McD was on someone else. The next possession Baddley leaves Malinowski and guards Sean's man . Both Sean and Baddley are guarding the same man. Sean then sees Malinowski open clear across the floor and runs as hard as he can which was too late for another three. If one just saw that play they would think McD got lost on defense. To me it looked like Baddley didn't know who he was guarding or there was a failure to communicate.

Baldwin also didn't get back on defense during one possession causing AT to have to leave Malinowski open for a three. Thus during the first ten minutes AT, KB,McD and Baddley were guarding Malinowski. I have never seen a team not knowing who they are assigned to.

The worst culprits on defense in the first ten minutes were KB and AT.

Adding to the woes was Fowler missing two bunnies and being flat footed on a pass into him.

BJK and harvesting like this.
  2. OldSchoolDawg1983

OldSchoolDawg1983 Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $345

I've been following this repartee and have read all of your posts since your "We all know about Fowler". Later you stated...."My point was that people don’t see Nate’s value because they don’t know what to look for."

However, I have not yet read specifically what you see as Nate's value (and I'm not contending that he has none). I respect your views (you've criticized mine in the past). Would you please educate me on what people don't see?

3. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $988
    So glad I missed the game ... I thought it was tonight. Must have been a bummer to watch on tv - or be there in person.

4. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $11,697
    Watched the second ten minutes of the first half which was better on both ends except KB again lost his man twice forcing either Fowler or McD to commit leaving their guys open. PJ took his eye off Malinowski on an inbound play. So it the first twenty minutes KB, AT, Baddley, PJ and McD were assigned to Malinowski at one time or another.

Couldn't figure out why LJ pulled Brunk after two great offensive scores and also Baddley. Why not ride the horses?

The killer in the last ten minutes of the first half was turnovers and KB's shot selection. However there were some real positives from Brunkand Baddley.

harvesting likes this.
  5. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,913
    Uh yeah- McDermott did kinda have some inexcusable mistakes

IMG_7530.JPG IMG_7531.JPG IMG_7532.JPG IMG_7533.JPG IMG_7534.JPG IMG_7534.JPG IMG_7535.JPG IMG_7536.JPG IMG_7537.JPG IMG_7538.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

6. dawgs2014

Money:
    $1,913
    Yeah for sure. I’m amazed no one has asked yet. I’m at work so I need to wait until I can either get a moment to type it out or until I get home tonight, but I’m more than happy to.

7. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,659
    Ooh, screenshot the play where he fouls the dude on a breakaway for a slam + 1 next. Not really sure what McD's problem was last night, but he looked like he was possessed by a toddler out there.

BU_NeonHat and estar20dawg like this.
  8. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $11,697
    First ten minutes of the second half were defined by bad shot selection, Baddley not seeing the floor and not communicating on defense. One GT possession for some reason Fowler goes out on a pick by Govan on the guard and Govan doesn't set a pick. Govan flares to the corner while Fowler stays out leaving Govan wide open. Ball gets passed to Govan causing PJ to go running out to Govan on the left . Malinowski then goes to the right past the three and Govan throws across court pass to an unguarded Malinowski for a three. That is not PJ's mistake but I'm sure most would say PJ should be benched.

9. dawgs2014

Money:
    $1,913
    Estar-appreciate the thoughtful response. I’ll send you a pm to discuss the personal questions but I’ll get into things here that are Butler related.

Nate’s value is not in his statistical production. I’m not claiming that, nor am I picking a horse either. I just want us to win, that’s all.

The way some people on this board act about Fowler is lunacy. The closest thing I can relate it to is Michael Scott and Toby Flenderson from the office.

Criticism is fine. I don’t think anyone who plays d1 basketball wants to not be held accountable. Mark Shelvin frequently states that he thinks we need to replace Nate. That’s totally fine, but so many other times it’s just an attack on someone who can’t defend himself. It goes so far beyond ok that it’s basically just bullying. People call him a pu$$*, have suggested he be cut, and there are frequent comments like Nate Fowler sucks with nothing else. Even if all of this were true, even if he was a bad person, even if he was a bad basketball player, this sort of conduct is just not ok.

People can say oh boo hoo, whatever he’s a d1 athlete. And they’re right, but he’s also a kid who has worked his butt off four years to better Butler University. My pride for being a bulldog is second to none, and one of the reasons is because of the people at butler. Senseless attacks on his manliness and expressing the desire that he embarrasses us so much that he shouldn’t have the RIGHT to lie be on the team is conduct I would expect out of Xavier, and everything I hate about Xavier.

Butler to me represents the best of sports. It’s a fan base that supports the players as people, and kids who are represent the school in a way that makes us all proud. Conversely, the way we represent the fan base embarrasses me. Would anyone want their kid to go through what we have said about Nate on here? Sure it happens everywhere, but we’re supposed to take pride in being above the slime that accompanies college athletics.

I love this board, I love the passion, it’s my best outlet to talk Butler Basketball. What the most frustrating aspect of all of this is, is that the criticism is so misguided. It’s not even accurate.

Sure, Nate is not a superstar. Likely he’s been passed up by Joey. Surely Joey is more fun to watch play, but that justifies none of the venom. My stubbornness with Nate is that I have been granted some awesome athletic opportunities in my life. I’ve had a lot of resources and a lot of smart people I’ve had the opportunity to learn from.

Despite having watched basketball my whole life and immersed in sports in high school and even worked in consultation with a notable basketball scout who realized my propensity for talent identification, the first time i saw a d1 practice I realized that I really knew nothing at all about the sport. The schematics nowadays are just so complex. I’ve learned a ton since then, but every game I’m shooting questions to people who know more than me.

My delivery can be antagonistic at time, and some times I agree it’s uncalled for. I love welcoming casual fans to the butler community because I want to share my love for Butler, and I probably can do a better job discussing ideas that are just not good.
    By relentlessly backing Nate, however, I am trying to combat the lack of civility, and introduce some things I do know that may make fellow fans value and consequently enjoy butler basketball more.

tlp63, pappyball, GoodDawgs and 3 others like this.
  10. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,102
    I think both he and Fowler share blame there. Fowler moreso, but Malinowski had already proven he was the last guy we wanted to leave open last night, so I don't like that PJ just left him. I would have rather PJ stay on Malinowski and leave Tucker to try and recover between both Govan and Tucker's man (#32, Johnson I think) long enough for Nate go get back to Govan.

11. harvesting

harvesting Member VIP Member

Money:
    $148
    I’ll agree. That was a really stupid foul but not nearly as stupid and immature as your comment. And the play by play, that’s awesome! He should do that for every player then tally them up and see whose doing everything exactly right. Don’t forget to add the offensive play by play THAT will be interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Insane Dawg likes this.
  12. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $11,697
    Just before this play Baddley was guarding Malinowski. McD saw Baddley was guarding his man and realized Malinowski was unguarded and tried get across the court. Right after this play KB was on Malinowski and he scored again. Then shortly after that AT was on him and lost him for another three. I have never seen a game where four players didn't know who they were guarding on four consecutive plays.

13. dawgs2014

Money:
    $1,913
    You’re absolutely right. It happened again on that high low and 1 on Tucker, Sean called out a switch and Tucker didn’t switch, then Sean left his position in help opening up the cut and Jordan was late getting over because he probably thought Sean was still under the basket.

What’s even more galling is that Sean’s positioning is clearly indicative of him knowing that guy is a shooter, and then he just like forgets he’s there??

That’s like the purest demonstration of a lack of team work.

14. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $11,697
    Fowler never reacted. PJ was guarding Malinowski in the paint. His choice was either to let Govan completely alone for an easy jump shot or go out to disrupt Govan. In a split second PJ reacted to go out on an unguarded Govan. Tucker never reacted. He stayed with his man. I guess PJ should have thought a split second that Malinowski is hotter than Govan who also has made some threes and should not go out to help a Fowler on a blown defensive assignment.

I have a problem with Fowler or Brunk for that matter going out on a high ball screen. Neither are quick or athletic enough to do much good out there.

15. dawgs2014

Money:
    $1,913
    Are you saying you have a problem with them hedging?

16. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $11,697
    To me last night's game was a team effort. McD and PJ have been singled out for poor defense. To me their mistakes on defense paled in comparison to AT and KB. Those two were awful on defense particularly in the first half. Why Baldwin gets a pass is beyond me. He seems to be LJ's favorite boy.

Most of the defensive problems centered on not knowing who was guarding who and not communicating. This is fixable unless you are in third grade.

Offensively we put up a lot of bad shots- particularly KB.

Now for Fowler. He actually played well in the second half for the most part. I use to get all worked up for him not going up strong with lay ups and dunking the ball. I come to realize he can't jump but maybe six inches off the floor. So the problem is my expectations.

17. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $11,697
    Yes. I'd rather have them underneath for a rebound. Id rather take my chances on AT or KB not getting through the pick.

shoeevv and BoyGeoff like this.
  18. dawgs2014

Money:
    $1,913
    This would disrupt a a lot of our ability to apply ball pressure since you’d basically have to go under.

I don’t know that high hedging is the best defense for us (I’d prefer to ICE it) but I think you have to at least show or else good screens put a guard free to shoot or in the paint and good pgs should shred if they get into the paint at will.

19. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,432
    Uh, Vanna... I'd like to buy a Paragraph Break please? Yes, that's right. Actually, make that six or seven of 'em. Please give them to my friend Baddog so I can read his post. Thank you.

bmradio99 likes this.
  20. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,432
    When did it become acceptable? Well, it's long been the fashion at good ol' Butler U. Rosie Jones did it nearly every play. Ronald Nored did it almost as often as Rosie. Drove me crazy. Could never understand Stevens, Miller, and Holtman allowing that crap. Now we've got Jordan putting his stamp of approval on it too. Some things never go out of style.