Jared Grubbs

Butler Bulldogs (9-4) vs Georgetown Hoyas (10-3) - 1/3

Jared Grubbs, Dec 29, 2018

Settled
  1. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,544
    I’m busy and can’t watch the Michigan vs PSU game tonight... can somebody watch it and unofficially give me a familiarity percentage score comparing Butler’s offensive system to Michigan’s??? (@PSUButlerFan gotta figure you’re watching)

i’m of the opinion that we’re not running Michigan’s system but I don’t watch a ton, but I do know Michigan has a super ugly Canuck

2. Tentozen

Tentozen Active Member

Money:
    $365
    dawgs2014 likes this.
  3. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,690
    How about providing you with the advanced metrics?

4. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $10,690
    You both need to watch the play before that one and the two after. Of course those weren't in these frames.

harvesting likes this.
  5. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,490
    That was a lot of words to not tell us what "value" Nate brings.

bumba, I Am Butler, Dewars12 and 2 others like this.
  6. Dewars12

Dewars12 Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $242
    In honor of Funkhouser and SuperDave, I think Dawgs2014 would be perfect character for a Curb episode - and he would have no clue he was the punchline...

rperk and I Am Butler like this.
  7. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,441
    After watching the first half again I kind of see what I think you’re saying here. I don’t think it’s going out on the ball screen that is causing the issue, but failing to recover and “helping up” on guards in the paint.
    On screens our younger posts did not effectively recover to their guy after the guard got over the screen. Also, on one of the Malinowski 3’s they got a p&r that led Malinowski open because AT (guarding Malinowski) didn’t want to leave the roll guy unguarded.
    We also help up on penetrating guards too much, leaving the guy that’s supposed to be guarded by the post open for a layup.

I think there is merit to your feelings that our posts get too high and should focus more on protecting the basket or recovering to their man on screens.

Also, to whomever said that Kamar and AT were bad yesterday on defense (think it was insane dawg actually), rewatching the game certainly did not prove you wrong.

Kamar just had a couple bouts of laziness. AT was more complicated. There were a couple times he realized someone was beat and he tried to help them overcome that at the expense of guarding his own man. I don’t endorse that strategy, but I’m more forgiving of that error. AT was also positioned badly in helpside extremely frequently. I think this had to be part of the game plan with the intention that he could help in post, but it left his man open over and over. Even Govan against our centers shouldn’t scare us as much against open 3’s which were effectively guaranteed by AT’s positioning. I’m not sure who is to blame for that because it’s hard to fault a player for following the game plan if that was the game plan, but it has to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

8. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,871
    DUDE! I’m not that masochistic. You want to see a truly poorly coached team, watch PSU. Sloppy, undisciplined, no offense, lost on O and D, terrible shot selection. I had high hopes for them coming into the year, but gave up once they lost a bunch of non-con games they should have easily won.

Lamar Stevens is awesome. There’s other individual talent. But man they suck.

All I heard is Chambers shoved a player during this game.

If any of you watched to scout the Michigan O, I’m sorry there was another team on the court.

9. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $10,690
    What no one saw coming was a 5.8 per game sub going off for 26.

10. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,819
    This is Butler, we all should have foreseen a guy who averages 5 pts goes off against Butler...I think by now we are used to people having their career days against us.

bwesson15 likes this.
  11. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,441
    The thing about this one though is that he obviously played better than expected, but it’s a lot easier to do that when you don’t guard the guy.

bwesson15, mwall787, UDDawg and 3 others like this.
  12. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $10,690
    Actually five guys were assigned to him at various times during the game but forgot their assignments.

13. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,657
    Georgetown attempted 21 more free throws than Butler. We didn't lose this particular game solely because of this disparity - there were other things that were even worse, and Georgetown didn't shoot well from the FT line - but it's hard to envision winning games where the other team has 20 more freebies than you do. You're essentially spotting ~14-15 points from the free throw line. That doesn't work.

Creighton does a poor job of getting to the free throw line, so at least there's that. The negative is Creighton shoots a ton of threes and makes them at a high rate. If Butler's rotations are as dreadfully bad tomorrow as they were Wednesday night, Creighton - literally - may score 100.

14. Trumpforpresident2020

Trumpforpresident2020 Active Member

And we may score forty.

15. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Active Member

Money:
    $419
    I've seen a couple of mentions about ball screen defense. When I rewatched the game, I didn't recognize the way we were defending them. Normally, there is a hard hedge and quick recovery. There was no hedge, in this game, and the guard was able to turn the corner cleanly. Also, there was no quick recovery. The guys guarding the screener was often in no man's land, or worse getting in the way of our guard. Did we change our strategy or was this poor execution?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Butler Hoops mobile app

Tentozen likes this.
  16. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $10,690
    This is why I suggested we stop hedging. Nate and Joey struggle with this. Wouldn't it be better to leave them under the basket for rebounding or wait for the cutters drive into the lane?

17. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7
    I think so. We have 12 fouls to give with 3 players at the 5 spot. They should earn every 2 pointer inside and pay a price for trying.

18. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $10,690
    Just hammer the crap out of their guards if they try to come into the lane so they eventually think twice about it. GT guards shouldn’t have concerned us that much to send a big out there to help. Could also use JGB to hurt people

19. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,107
    Glad to see they have already surpassed your expectations.

Tentozen and DawgsMD like this.
  20. Trumpforpresident2020

Trumpforpresident2020 Active Member

Still disappointed on how the team played. Thought that defensively we played well. In the first half we attacked the rim and had some plays designed to get the post active. Although, we faded away from that and began doing what we have done all season; shoot threes and run to the other end. The only difference from today and other games were that the shoots were going in. Had we shot the ball like we normally do this could have been again a very low scoring game and possibly another L in the column. Not fun basketball to watch and again not very well coached.