Butler Bulldogs at DePaul Blue Demons - 1/16

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by bmradio99, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Clevedog

Clevedog Active Member

Money:
    $287
    If the weather reports are correct, it is almost time to go out and buy bread and milk, or beer and chips and get ready to hunker down and prepare for the big storm. I am assuming it will go through Indy before it gets to Cleveland. Please be careful heading to Hinkle Saturday, and bring us home a win. Being on Fox on Saturday means lots of viewers, all the more reason to look good. Hoping last night was a sign of future improvements, go Dawgs.

Tentozen and jkcdawgs like this.
  2. Gregory Roach

Gregory Roach Active Member

Money:
    $345
    So this response is really for both estar20dawg and Baddog (my favorite screen saver of all time)

I agree with both of you....and add a couple of thoughts of my own.

Aside from a single DePaul possession late in 2nd half when the game was a 9 or 1o pt spread where DePaul got 4 offensive rebounds on the same possession, I thought that Butler showed dominance on the defensive boards between the work of Baldwin, Tucker, David, Nate's blockouts and Brunk. We saw this trend begin when LJ bowed to the obvious and began using two forward combinations Tucker/McDermott, Tucker/David or some combination with Baddley as fill in during the Creighton home game. These combinations get better at screening, rebounding and recognizing each other the more they play together. We all have to remember, this concept has only really been in use for 4 games....4 games! It must have time to mature and develop.

We all must cut the coaching staff some slack and recognize that they are beginning to realize what many of us have seen all along. As a board we must recognize that none of us has a "real" relationship with any of these players (that I am aware of). If we did, that relationship would temper our judgement and impact decisions/changes. We are able to analysis a game without any emotional connection to any of these young men. Our objectivity (sorta) is a much different position than being one of the coaches in charge of these young men's basketball destinies. I have had to remind myself of that aspect several times over the course of the last 5 games.

I have been pleased to see that Nate has had a couple of decent outings. Again a great kid with limited athletic capability that must use his basketball IQ to be effective. Not starting has been great for his contribution to the team.

I must agree with the observation that this game was against DePaul and all that implies. Having said that, Xavier isn't a better team than DePaul and Butler was not able to climb that mountain in the last two mins. So there was real progress from my perspective.

Not only were players setting better screens, they were looking for better screens....which is a relatively new concept for some players so far this season.

It spoke volumes last night that LJ finished the game with Tucker and David on the floor! It took four games, but he is beginning to see what was obvious.

The combination play in the last 10 minutes between AT and KB was the BEST it has been at anytime this season.

Many of us had looked forward to a game when McDermott didn't have to guard a power forward and could have his 3 point shooting complemented by Tucker. Last night was insight into how valuable that combination can be.

Lastly, Baldwin only resorted to his dribble hero ball twice losing the ball (or offensive foul) each time. In every other instance, he got others involved or was able to pull off a fade away in the lane (with a single defender). Clearly someone has been showing this kid video. Again kudos to the coaching staff and kudos to Baldwin for listening.

Has this team turned a corner? Who knows. Not a lot of data to go on. Let's see how they defend and respond to the athleticism of Ponds, Figueroa (isn't he part of Queen?), Heron and Simon..... Further, can Butler exert their will over this athletic but relatively undisciplined SJ group in the same manner they disrupted Xavier for 38 minutes? That will be key insight into whether this team has turned a corner.

I love reading all your different perspectives.

See you at the ice/snow bowl on Saturday. As always, go Dawgs!

3. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $329
    Let’s not leave Clark out. He was a beast last year in Queens when they beat us without Ponds.
    Overall team is not big height wise. They are powerful and have speed agility and quickness. Their bench is shallow. That is an area we can exploit with our depth. I think we can get Brunk going early with a few “and 1’s.
    That puts some pressure on them and would open things up for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

Tentozen likes this.
  4. WestLoopDog

WestLoopDog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,713
    Although some of your observations were reasonable, the arrogant absurdity of these statements leaves me with only one thought: Huh? Really?

5. Gregory Roach

Money:
    $345
    I will presume the bolding indicates areas or arrogance matched with absurdity from your perspective?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Butler Hoops mobile app

6. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,301
    I'd agree with him. JT has earned more minutes now, but only someone who thinks of him as "Duke transfer Jordan Tucker" thought he should gave been starting in late December.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Butler Hoops mobile app

7. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,131
    I'm really looking forward to the St. Johns game.. Let's see what happens on Saturday.

8. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $654
    Really nice well thought out analysis.

9. Gregory Roach

Money:
    $345
    Did I miss something? When/where have I posted on here that Tucker should be starting? Please identify in the last five game threads where I said that. I simply indicated that Jordan closed the last 4 mins of the DePaul game with Tucker and David on the floor. I would guess for defense (David) and rebounding (Tucker). From my perspective, along with McDermott, two of those three should be on the court for most possessions. Nothing more or less. I am a bit lost by the blow back and trolling.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Butler Hoops mobile app

10. bu1973

bu1973 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $584
    I agree with Greg Roache's point that you do not simply hand a player a starting position when he comes in mid season taking the spot of players who have been here for three years without real possibility of destroying team chemistry. It is very different from changes at the start of the year. If Battle comes in and wows everyone on the staff next fall, giving him a starting spot over an upperclassmen is different than mid-season. PJ , McD, Baddley and Fowler have been serious contributors at times, and casting them aside for a prettier face ( or a potentially better player) has risks. So for us, in the stands, who have no personal relationship, or teaching role with any of these players it is a lot easier to replace or diminish a playing role than it is for someone who has to deal with the fallout from player and parents and others every day at practice workouts and games. It has been talked about by many posters, and seems obvious to some of us, but I think the slow and sure increase in minutes is the right way to do it and commend LJ for that approach. I have been critical about aspects of the offensive and defensive schemes, but I think this was done right. If Tucker starts on Saturday ( and I really hope and think he will), it is because he has earned it. And I don't think there will be anyone, player, staff or fan that does not recognize that for Butler to be the best team it can be, he needs 30 minutes or more a game. And we need be willing to allow his learning curve as he has played has played less than five full basketball games in his career. And minutes for David, too , please.

OldSchoolDawg1983 likes this.
  11. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,300
    PLEASE do not predict a Butler win!

12. chas1116

chas1116 Active Member

Money:
    $268
    Folks- there are FIVE things in life that are certain
    1) Death
    2) Taxes
    3) Trump will say something incredibly stupid, lie, or "all of the above" on a daily basis
    4) Butler will win whenever playing in Chicago
    5) Butler will beat the living isht out of St John's whenever they play at Hinkle

Seriously- Butler's initial year in the Big East was nothing short of a dumpster fire. That being said- they managed to beat the Johnnie's by 17 that year and if you are a St John's fan and/or like to wear patterned sweaters, it's only gotten worse since then. Losses of 23, 20, 24 & 25 have followed and just like Butler's annual morph into a HS Junior Varsity team whenever they play at MSG, St John's is always more than happy to return the favor at Hinkle. This game will not be close. Vegas will toss out a 6 point line and it will rain 3's all day long

NCJon and WMUDog like this.
  13. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,301
    I took "It took four games, but he is beginning to see what was obvious." as you being one of the Duke Transfer Jordan Tucker should start people. You didn't say anything about him starting, but it did come across as quite arrogant.

14. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,187
    Game isn't until 4:30 tomorrow, what else can be get just a little too insulting/insulted about? ;)

15. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,301
    I'm pretty insulted by the weather forcast for tomorrow. I'm hoping Boulevard Pl will get some plow love.

bwesson15 and kmacker69 like this.
  16. SRG

SRG Active Member

Money:
    $35,970
    Your assessment is correct on 4 of 5 points.

17. harvesting

harvesting Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $200
    Does anyone know what happens if we have the blizzard like conditions they are predicting? I assume St.Johns is here and they would go ahead and play and it’s televised. Has there ever been a situation where the television crew or refs can’t get there? Maybe they all make sure they are there tonight?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

18. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $846
    Am I the only one not enamored with David getting more minutes here?

0-3 in 16 minutes with 1 rebound, 1 turnover, and a block against DePaul.

19. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,981
    I'll let dawgs2014 pull up the freeze frames if he wants to, but you clearly didn't watch the game very closely. He played outstanding defense at times and was a beast at blocking out and sealing on drives. Even LJ commented in the post game presser how impressive CD was on the glass...

UDDawg, bwesson15, Tentozen and 3 others like this.
  20. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,724
    I think 15 minutes is about right. Three long 5 minute spurts will do wonders. He has seemingly had a quick hook in games. Let him get in there and establish himself. He brings good D awareness and some rebounding. Any O at this point is gravy.

bwesson15, Tentozen and estar20dawg like this.