Butler Bulldogs at DePaul Blue Demons - 1/16

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by bmradio99, Jan 15, 2019.

1. WestLoopDog

WestLoopDog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,633
    I agree with estar. I was at the game and watched David quite a bit. When he came in the first time, he raised the energy level with his hustle and defense. Up until that time, the Dawgs seemed to be sleepwalking. And as estar said, he did an excellent job of boxing out and keeping his man off the boards. Too bad he missed both of the 3-pt shots he had. I thought his release looked good and I'm confident they will start to drop regularly for him soon. I hope he keeps taking them.

Tentozen and estar20dawg like this.
  2. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $681
    Was still brutal on offense. When teams figure out he can't score, he'll be a detriment to a lineup that already struggles to score at times.

3. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,182
    This is not a comment on CD but on every shooter. Every good shooter is a rythym shooter which means you have to have more than 2 or 3 shots to get going.

dawgs2014 and estar20dawg like this.
  4. Hinkle Magic2

Money:
    $681
    If that were the case, every shooter would start out 0-3, they don't. Good shooters can shoot, period.

5. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,607
    Um JT started 0-4 against Depaul, how'd he finish?

dawgs2014 likes this.
  6. estar20dawg

Money:
    $2,607
    I can't for seem reason find the plus/minus for the DePaul game anyone got the numbers to post?

7. Hinkle Magic2

Money:
    $681
    Okay, so one example, is why every shooter is a rhythm shooter? Please try using logic here.

I've never looked at Steph Curry, Reggie Miller, Kyle Korver, JJ Redick, etc. and expected them to miss their first 3-4 shots because they're rhythm shooters.

Hell, I never expected that from Kellen Dunham, Rotnei Clarke, or McDermott even at the Butler level. Stop making soft excuses.

8. estar20dawg

Money:
    $2,607
    Kellen went 0-17 or more his senior year spanning what 3 games?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Butler Hoops mobile app

9. Hinkle Magic2

Money:
    $681
    Yep, and shooters go through slumps too. David's never had a good streak to begin with though.

Even comparing him to Dunham is asinine.

"Hey guys, McDermott is starting out 0-4 from 3 for the 5th game in a row, it's okay though because every shooter has to get in rhythm."

Did we expect that from someone like Zach Hahn, even off the bench?

10. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,117
    I usually agree with you Hinkle. But here I think that we would find that someone will always find fault with another's opinion, no matter how balanced and well-thought-out the position is.

I think there is enough evidence of that on this board just this season alone.

bwesson15 and dawgs2014 like this.
  11. ButlerNut

Money:
    $4,117
    I kind of really need to you be worried about this game and think St. Johns will give Butler a huge fight. ;)

12. ButlerNut

Money:
    $4,117
    By this logic, you should be calling for AT to not see much playing time. He has improved dramatically offensively, but still not a scoring threat that causes other teams to worry much about.

godogs91 likes this.
  13. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,404
    You can’t learn to swim just by sticking your toes in the water. Sean ended his freshmen year 4-17 on 3’s. No one would suggest he’s a bad shooter, but you need to get comfortable with the speed of the game, and getting your shot off against high level players. Getting 3 shots every two games just doesn’t really get you there and that’s what CD has done this year. I suspect if we see 3 shots tomorrow and 3 on Tuesday, we’ll start seeing a much more consistent result.

I’m highly confident that this is what’s going on with CD. His shots in game are much stiffer than they are in warmups. That’s usually an indicator someone is trying to be too perfect, which is indicative of not being comfortable.

Saying someone was brutal offensively when they miss two 3’s, a 2, and have one turnover is just bad analysis. If a 40% shooter shoots two threes, it’s two and a half times more likely that they’ll miss both than make both, yet you don’t want them not shooting.

If you don’t like what CD gives, you’re entitled to that opinion. The way that you’re expressing your reservations though suggests you don’t have an appreciation for the opportunities he opens up for the rest of the team right now, nor the learning curve here.

Just be patient, there’s been a lot of growth this year, and I think there will be a lot more to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

Tentozen, UDDawg, bwesson15 and 3 others like this.
  14. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,507
    I would differentiate between disagreeing with one's opinion/finding fault in a position versus attacking someone. I think the latter is what Ari was referring to by saying he gets "sh it on", and I don't think that generally happens here if someone isn't inviting it.

15. ButlerNut

Money:
    $4,117
    I think that's a pretty subtle nuance you are differentiating on. Pop over to the St. Johns thread and see how Page 1 and 2 are going. ;)

But generally, I would agree with you. Although, with respect to Ari, he did seem to take constructive criticism well and did seem to be improving in his style and general format of the FRH

16. godogs91

godogs91 Active Member

Money:
    $3,103
    My biggest complaint with Ari was/is that he seemed to have an axe to grind about certain people and would go out of his way to bash on them. He also continued to defend our previous coach leaving and the supposed vast difference in salary, even when he was shown data that showed his position to be inaccurate.

Tentozen likes this.
  17. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,404
    I think that Ari didn’t think it was his style to invite it. His personality is to make highly hyperbolic statements, so I didn’t think he was doing anything besides being himself.

I do think it’s important to differentiate between that and being intentionally provocative, even if that is not something the reader can discern without knowing him.

I’d expect that’s why he feels this way, while others think he invited it. Both sides are right.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

18. Hinkle Magic2

Money:
    $681
    My point was never that David shouldn't play. I think his 15 minutes are fine for what he is and for his development. An energy, defensive wing.

That being said, I don't buy at all that volume is an issue right now. If David shoots 10 3's right now, he's probably only going to make 3 of them.

Jordan Tucker looked confident when he was shooting on limited touches earlier this season. Zach Hahn always did. Volume doesn't always equal better.

19. jeff

jeff Well-Known Member

Money:
    $327
    We are going to live forever?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Butler Hoops mobile app

chas1116, Tentozen and Hinkle like this.