Butler Bulldogs at Xavier Muskateers - 11/13 - 4:00 PM

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by firedupkaren, Nov 9, 2012.

1. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,277
    [align=center][img=200x200]http://www.blastmedia.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Butler_bulldog_logo.jpg[/img]........[size=large]VS[/size]........[img=200x200]http://images.picturesdepot.com/photo/x/xavier_logo-23392.jpg[/img]

Time: 4:00 PM Eastern
    TV: ESPN
    Radio: ESPN 1070
    Internet Stream: ESPN 3
    Live Stats

Butler Roster
    Xavier Roster
    Xavier Message Board

Projected Starting Lineups
    [/align]

..................................................Rotnei Clarke.........................................Dee Davis
    ..................................................Chase Stigall.........................................Justin Martin
    ..................................................Roosevelt Jones.....................................Erik Stenger
    ..................................................Khyle Marshall........................................Travis Taylor
    ..................................................Andrew Smith........................................Jeff Robinson

[align=center]Team Leaders[/align]

...........................................Rotnei Clarke - 21 PPG...............................Dee Davis - 22 PPG
    ...........................................Roosevelt Jones - 6 APG............................Dee Davis - 15 APG
    ...........................................Roosevelt Jones - 9 RPG............................Travis Taylor - 12 RPG
    ...........................................6 Tied - 1 SPG.........................................5 Tied - 1 SPG
    ...........................................2 Tied - 1 BPG.........................................James Farr - 1 BPG

2. 85inarow

85inarow Member

Money:
    $30
    RE: Butler @ Xavier - 11/13

XU put up 117 points last night with 7 players in double figures. Pretty impressive regardless of competition. Looking forward to Tuesday's matchup!

3. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351

Time to beat some X ass Tuesday. I think the players understand what kind of rivalry game this is and they are going to be pumped.

4. Butler1970

Butler1970 New Member

Money:
    $5

It will be interesting to see how the Dawgs front court does against Xavier which will be the case going forward.

5. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $16,374
    First post is updated. Projected starting lineups will usually be based off of the previous game. I added team leaders in there now that we have some official stats. Once we get several games into the season I will start adding some advanced team stats, but those are pretty much worthless right now with such a poor sample size.

6. ChiTownDawg

ChiTownDawg Member

Money:
    $2,878
    This game time sucks. I'll be at work during the first half. Maybe I can catch the final 10 min or so. Oh, and I think the formatting is messed up in the OP.

7. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,374
    Hmm, it apparently doesn't display right on all devices. I apologize, but I can't fix it now. I'll work on setting up a better universal display for the next game if there is enough activity to continue these. I have a couple of ideas.

8. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,445
    Hopefully Smith's performance last game caused Brad to light a fire under his ass and he'll play aggressive today. The bigs are the key today. If Smith, Marshall, and Woods/Fromm are able to establish any sort of rebounding or scoring advantage (and hopefully draw fouls on a team with no depth) then I think we'll win with Kellen and Rotnei shooting. It's all got to flow through the bigs today.

9. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $120
    As thin as Xavier is in general, I think Butler's front line is pretty thin as well in terms of quality depth. Smith thus far has performed around the same level as he probably was before his sophomore season and Fromm hasn't done much with the minutes he's played either. Marshall, Woods and Jones have all been fairly solid in terms of rebounding and putting stuff in around the hoop, and Butler's definitely going to need that again tonight. Both teams are actually pretty similar in terms of their makeup. Both rely heavily on guards for generating points in their offenses and the bigs are essentially used for rebounding and defense.

Hoping for a Butler victory, especially in that tough environment, would certainly help them going forward.

10. Butler1970

Butler1970 New Member

Money:
    $5
    Smith is about where he was in his freshman year. Fromm has done a good job blocking out and I wouldn't be surprised if he again plays more than Smith. I hope the coaches are correct and Smith will get into the flow of the game. For this season to be what it can be I need to be totally wrong about Smith.

11. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,581
    Girls HS basketball would be more entertaining at this point. I think that Butler has only hit 5 field goals all second half at the last four-minute TO.

Nauseating!

12. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,374
    I saw more out of Fromm the past few minutes of the game than I did from Smith the whole game. He was awful again.

13. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $306
    Guys,

There's just hardly any A10 level talent on the roster and barely any D1 talent at point guard. It was it is. When you evaluate poorly and recruit as bad for a stretch of years, this is what you get.

And, this is as good as they'll be for a number or years.

Like I said over the summer, it's only "pessimistic" if you're actually wrong.

14. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $306
    Rotnei Clarke is clearly not a point guard.

He NEVER has been. He's still not.

Guess what? Andrew Smith isn't an NBA player, either.

You all "believe" way too much.

15. Ignatius J. Reilly

Money:
    $4,445
    Rotnei didn't really play a lot of point. He brings it up and then runs off screens. No body can create.

16. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,374
    I didn't see the first half, but as a silver lining thought, Kellen Dunham looked great. He created for himself a few times tonight against quicker guards, and was 4-7 from the field. I thought he also did a very good on the ball, much better than I expected against an athletic team like Xavier. He was late rotating a few times, but he is a smart player and will improve on that as the season progresses.

Clarke missed a lot of shots he usually makes. I'm not concerned about him. Despite the huge shooting difference, which usually leads to lopsided rebounding totals, Butler was only out rebounded by 1. They effectively beat Xavier on the boards. Plus, despite the rough start, they only ended the game with 10 turnovers. 5 of those were from Jones, and that isn't normally a problem for him.

It basically came down to poor shooting. If Butler shoots 75% from the line and 33% from 3, which isn't really asking for a lot at all, they add an extra 10 points to the board. This is supposed to be a good shooting team. As long as that holds true over the course of the season, I'm not really concerned. As I tweeted during the game, when a team built around shooting is cold, it's going to be a long night. It's going to happen a few times. There's also going to be a few times when these guys are on fire and they can beat anyone in the country. Hopefully we will see that in Maui.

17. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,374
    The problem is this team isn't really designed to create the way a typical team does. Most teams create from the inside out. They pound it inside or get to the rim off the dribble and then that frees up shooters on the outside. Butler has to do things the other way around. They need to establish themselves from the 3 point line first to open up the paint. They never established that outside game tonight, which made things difficult for everyone.

18. IndyDawgs

IndyDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $449
    I didn't have as much time for Butler message boards last season and the season before so I'm glad I googled it and found this again.

But HOLY CRAP! This team is fundamentally flawed and this season and the last have changed the way I think of Brad Stevens and his staff. They have really recruited poorly. Some guys are better athletes than we're used to but aren't very good basketball players and some haven't improved since the time we recruited them.

19. Ignatius J. Reilly

Money:
    $4,445
    My big thing, and I think Dakich hit the nail on the head, is that Smith is just not assertive. AT ALL. At no point did he look like he actually wanted the ball.

If he doesn't want to play tough and be assertive, then I don't want him out there.

Somebody better tell him to man up, or Gardner will eat him alive in Maui.

20. Blue three

Blue three Active Member

Money:
    $67
    I saw a team that had no legs compared to Xavier. Where was the Butler D we've become accustomed to?

Every team will swarm Clarke and Dunham and make the rest beat them...which scares me because I don't see an interior presence from Smith, Fromm, or Woods(offensively).

I watched Detroit lose a close game today to St. John's and to be honest they looked ten times better than Butler. I wasn't expecting 80 points from the Bulldogs today but I didn't see many positives at all. We'll see if they can turn it around quick because if they don't we could easily be looking at a 1-5 start.