Butler Bulldogs vs. Davenport Panthers- 11/1/22 (7 p.m.)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by BUBBALUM, Oct 31, 2022.

1. mwall787

mwall787 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,134
  2. Army Dawg!!!

Army Dawg!!! Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,086
    It was said earlier (maybe the other day) that he had surgery and was recovering at home.

3. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,040
    Don’t read into it at all. Purely recovery oriented.

4. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,756
    Minner said that there are <400 tickets remaining for the opener against New Orleans. Just purchased my tickets last night so I’ll be in row 2 behind the away bench. Should be fun!!

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

5. shoeevv

shoeevv Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,020
    Final score?

6. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,218
    91-55

7. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,574
    Sounds like a great second half effort

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

8. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,503
    Don't quote me on this, but I think I heard 17 assists on 20 fgs in the 2nd half and some of those were pretty passes by various guys.

The guys looked like they were having fun playing together.

Credit Davenport for coming out with energy and making some nice 3s in the first half to help drive home Thad's message on how we need to play and how fun it can be when we play that way.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

9. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $10,204
    In a couple of days ball movement improved 100%. According to TM, Ali still has some cobwebs.

DawgPoundMac and znelson15 like this.
  10. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,040
    Got home from Hinkle a short while ago. Much more promising tonight. A few initial thoughts:

Manny is just great. It’s a totally different team when he comes off, which is a testament to his value and also underscores how much it sucks that Thomas is out. Thomas is going to help immensely.

Hunter is incredibly active on both ends and can and should play essentially the whole game. High motor, high endurance, high speed, high IQ.

The deep shooting has been trash through two games, despite solid looks. I think Ali is going to help a good bit on this front, but for this team to be legitimately good, it’s going to have to be particularly good on defense, 2 point efficiency, and limiting turnovers. I think it can be, and tonight was a nice, promising step forward, but a long way to go.

While Davenport was indeed terrible, I still think it’s fair to say the defense was mostly very good. They scored 55, yes, but they were 12-29 from 3, several of those being prayers. If you normalize for 3P shooting, they likely score something like 46. They were 8-23 from 2, which is just miserable, and I’d most of those 8 came with Hughes at the 5 - something that’s not going to happen when Thomas is back.

Overall: long way to go, but much more encouraging.

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well

11. Westside Dawg

Westside Dawg New Member

Money:
    $33
    Worst part of the night: still no chick-fil-a in Hinkle.

12. MadThatta

MadThatta Active Member

Money:
    $156
    We're a Poor Shooting team from the perimeter...not good enough for a Big East run or tourney team, at this point. We need to get Healthy!

13. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,756
    I refuse to believe it based off a small sample size of 2 exhibitions. Let’s look at the facts

Hunter- 44% last season
    Harris- 35% thru 2 seasons
    Simas- 29%
    Ali- 41% last season
    Wilmoth- 30% thru 2 seasons
    Tate- 23% thru 1 healthy season
    Taylor-29%

When you consider usage rate and attempts per game, we should at minimum be 33.5% which takes us from 334th in the country to 180th in 3P%. Historically, freshmen tend to shoot better as they get older so I don’t anticipate Taylor, Tate, and Simas to a) go a combined 2.6/10 each game, or b) for those shooters to have that many attempts since we have Ali, Hunter, and Harris who are all proven shooters.

If I had to guess, I’d say optimistically Simas and Taylor improve to 33% combined and as a result our team 3P% will increase to 35% which would rank around 100th in the country. Also keep in mind our 3P attempts last year were generally in isolation late in a shot clock or hero ball situations. So I think we’ll see many variables move our 3P% in a positive direction. Will we be a 3P powerhouse like creighton? No way. But I think we will hold our own. There just shouldn’t ever be a situation where Taylor takes 6 three-pointers like tonight unless he can demonstrate he can hit upwards of 40%. Those attempts need to be taken by Ali, Hunter, or Harris and I think Thad’s a smart enough guy to get it straightened out.

Tentozen, mwall787 and troggy like this.
  14. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,022
    Yep, absolutely have to get healthy which obviously has not been the case the past 2+ seasons. For whatever reason seems like we’re always missing a few guys.

15. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,384
    I wonder if anyone has ever had their only nba points on a goaltend

16. jeff

jeff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,383
    Highlights

jarik, Tentozen, jkcdawgs and 2 others like this.
  17. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,485
    Idk how to create a thread with a poll. Can someone do this for me??

18. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,040
    Supposedly more serious than originally thought.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2022
  19. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $4,875
    At this point, I officially feel as if someone sold our soul to the devil for those champ runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

20. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,040
    I’m sure I’m forgetting some stuff, but doesn’t it seem like we were almost always 100% healthy from like 2007-2019, other than Rose’s injury? And since, it’s just been mayhem.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2022