Butler Bulldogs vs. Florida Gators - 12/29

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by bmradio99, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Gregory Roach

Gregory Roach Active Member

Money:
    $345
    I noticed that as well. No clue as to why you employ that option tactically or strategically. Why would you employ two spot up 3 point option as ball haulers? Based on games played to date, AT is the ONLY viable/effective point guard option for this season.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Butler Hoops mobile app

2. WMUDog

WMUDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $342
    That is it. LJ seems soft. I think that could be ok, if you are a really good motivator. I don't see that yet. The dogs are inconsistent and play really bad on the road. That is a coach issue. He has to figure this out. I will give him the benefit of the doubt considering his experience, but if he doesn't get better then I will be concerned. But of course, I don't matter.
    I agree. He doesn't seem to make adjustments based on stuff that did't work.

3. Dunhamfor3

Dunhamfor3 Active Member

Money:
    $74
    I would like to see a new starting lineup of AT/McD/ Tucker/ Golden/Brunk. This would send a message to KB/Jorg/NF. Also would add scoring to our bench unit. If KB/Jorg are hot they would earn more minutes in the second half.

Discuss amongst yourselves?

Also Go Colts!!

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

schoops and MBA2003 like this.
  4. Dawg Guy

Dawg Guy Active Member

Money:
    $443
    neither tucker or McDermott are a 2/3 so no, I don’t think this will or should happen. Golden has shown nothing btw. This board is making weird assumptions that he can be a starter based on what?

5. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    This lineup would be best served to just sit Indian style when the other team has the ball. Don’t have a prayer at stopping them anyways so just save the effort.

Relegating our top two scorers to bench/“earn your minutes” roles also is probably not ideal for any offense.

I hope you don’t take this personally, but this is one of the worst ideas I’ve seen thrown out.

Dawg Guy likes this.
  6. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,567
    Two or three would be plenty for me, thanks. :D

bmradio99 and Tentozen like this.
  7. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,567
    I think it's the coach who is overburdening Fowler with responsibility for bad things. Jordan is putting Nate is a position to fail, and hence, the entire team. Fowler would play better coming off the bench. For extra fouls, spot relief, and heck... maybe even a few threes (I think he could hit them if he didn't have the pressure of starting). He might even be a net plus instead of a net minus. It's sad to see him put in a bad position.

8. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $120
    Fowler might be better off the bench, but that doesn't mean that Brunk or Golden are ready to start more than he is. Kelan Martin covered up a lot of warts offensively last year. Baldwin isn't ready to be a #1 option. In terms of efficiency, Thompson, Brunk and even David are much improved from a year ago, McDermott, Baddley and Jorgensen are similar, while Fowler and Baldwin are worse. Fowler plays roughly the same minutes while using a similar amount of possessions as last year, so if he feels overburdened, I guess you could try bringing him off the bench, but I don't think he's going to magically start making threes because Dave Peach's mighty voice isn't frightening him at the start of the contest (sarcasm).

Ultimately it's on the coaches to figure this out, but Wideman and Martin were much more valuable on the defensive and offensive ends of the court than we could have imagined, and the guys behind them last year were not ready to step into bigger roles this year.

9. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $647
    Since the big IU game he had, last 3 games he has gone 2-9 from 3 , with a total of 4 rebounds. I think the strain of playing with 3 small guards is beginning to show. Watched him bang underneath in the UC Irvine game, and that shouldn’t be his role.

10. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,334
    You hit on one of our big deficiencies which is a physical presence in the paint. Consequently McD has to play the four yet his body is not that of a four. Neither Fowler nor Brunk can provide much other than take up space. LJ knows that which is why Golden is getting minutes. Golden is willing to hit people. Unless Fowler changes dramatically and gets a spine and soon I see Brunk and Golden splitting most of the minutes at the five. In the meantime we don't have a power forward which is why we are so miserable at rebounding. We have two guys that are nearly seven feet tall and all they could gather in were two rebounds combined against Florida.

The four and five won't begin to be fixed until next year when we have two bigs that will be eligible that aren't soft to help Joey and Golden thus allowing McD to play the three. I'm not sure what LJ could do differently with what he has along the baseline with the lack of talent he has.

We need Brunk and Golden to really get after it if we are going to have any hope come March. I said weeks ago that the season will pivot on the pivot. I was truly embarrassed with both Brunk and Fowler this last game.

Tentozen likes this.
  11. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,589
    If someone wants to try to win a game with their back to the basket I’m more than happy to sacrifice offensive output from McDermott.

12. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $13,334
    I would like to see an entire game with Fowler with his back to the basket facing the crowd from the bench.

13. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,589
    Literally impossible, yet somehow not your worst thoughts on Fowler.

bwesson15 and Insane Dawg like this.
  14. rperk

rperk Member

Money:
    $89
    Now don't hurt poor Nate's feelings

Sent from my SM-N950U using Butler Hoops mobile app

15. bwesson15

bwesson15 Well-Known Member

Rewatching the game to see if I missed anything in person, but I think this summarizes it. They literally have 5 people in the paint and I remember this happening a lot. They didn't respect AT at all. 20181231_203627~3.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Butler Hoops mobile app

16. bwesson15

He threw the ball to Joey and it was a TO I'm done with this game after that one lol. 20181231_205306~2.jpeg

17. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $13,334
    It's possible and believe it or not I have other thought on Fowler that are worse including cutting him.
    Baldwin could have kicked it out to AT who could have passed it to PJ for a good look.

bwesson15 likes this.
  18. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $13,334
    Wasn't that the pass at Joey's knees? Again two guys open on the wing.

19. bwesson15

Yup wasn't even close to being a good pass and this happens all game. We drive have people wide open and don't kick out.

20. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $2,663
    I think this is a big frustration for everyone. We have good spot up shooters that are open with our drives. Re: McD in some games this year hitting give plus threes

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

bwesson15 likes this.