Butler Bulldogs vs. Florida Gators - 12/29

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by bmradio99, Dec 27, 2018.

1. bwesson15

bwesson15 Active Member

Seriously this is my last one and I'll move on, but he didn't even hit rim on the layup and had tucker wide open ‍‍♂️ATTACH=full]646[/ATTACH]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Butler Hoops mobile app

Attached Files:

2. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $1,531
    bwesson15 likes this.
  3. bwesson15

bwesson15 Active Member

I was pretty impressed with that also, but I had to stop watching I couldn't take it no more.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Butler Hoops mobile app

knobcreekfan and DawgsMD like this.
  4. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,690
    You should send these photos to LJ. He should use these as teaching material.

5. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,324
    For anyone who needs a reason to drink (y’know other than NYE), the Butler/Florida game is currently re-airing on ESPNU.

Dunhamfor3 and DawgsMD like this.
  6. MBA2003

MBA2003 Active Member

Money:
    $661
    I think the point is that a change in the lineup, just maybe, might send a message to players. Doing nothing and seeing the same starting lineup after the worst performance many of us have seen would also speak volumes, to everyone. This is not an isolated event. None of our opinions matter as we are not coaches but this board is not for coaches so I appreciate all the perspectives- yours too. I am no expert. Let's hope it gets better.

Go Dawgs

dippper61, Dunhamfor3 and Insane Dawg like this.
  7. NateDog

NateDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $390
    I don't think I've heard an announcer call Jordan Tucker, Jordan Tucker yet. It's "Duke transfer Jordan Tucker" every single time.

Insane Dawg and bwesson15 like this.
  8. Dunhamfor3

Dunhamfor3 Member

Money:
    $65

Nailed it, that was my point. Time to shake things ups. Show people you have to earn your minutes. They are not given to you because you are a senior. Bringing them off the bench would rain them in and have them focused.

Also, if Jordan Tucker was still at Duke playing the 2 or 3, you would be like wow what length they have. That team is blessed to have a 6’6 wing player. But you can’t handle that at Butler??

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

dippper61 likes this.
  9. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Active Member

Money:
    $167
    SpartanDawgs, dippper61 and Tentozen like this.
  10. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,292
    I refuse to believe that yet. This is an internal leadership problem with the players. Someone need to take the bull by the horns and step up. Whether this team has a personality that can do that, remains to be seen.

DawgsMD likes this.
  11. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Super Moderator VIP Member

Money:
    $2,493
    Could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure the /s stands for sarcasm. Agree with someone on the roster stepping up and taking the leadership role and not allowing his teammates to fall back to what they've done against Dayton/SLU/Florida/Presbyterian. Thompson would be my choice to do so, but seems like he would have the leeway to already have done so even if he is a sophomore.

12. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Active Member

Money:
    $167
    https://butlerhoops.com/forum/index.php?threads/has-holt-lost-the-team.1560/

I don't believe so either and I was being sarcastic. My post is in reference to this thread from a couple of years ago that is a microcosm of this board.

In a matter of 4-5 weeks we went from a great team with a great coach. To an awful team with overrated players with bad attitudes and even worse coach. Most of the players do not deserve their scholarship. Holt is the worst coach to ever pick up a whistle. We will not make NCAA and would be lucky to get NIT bid. Back to a brilliant coach that should be Big East COY and great team capable of a F4 run.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

13. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,441
    And that’s a totally fair desire. The two things that I think you have to look at are
    1) Are our problems the result of bad starts/bad energy from the starters

2) is the lineup that you insert as a replacement capable of succeeding

My reaction to 1 is maybe. Dayton we actually stared ok, we just fell apart about 5 minutes in. SLU no one could shoot but we were otherwise ok. Florida-idk what that was. Presbyterian actually may be equally problematic, but I really liked some things in that game and I loved how we looked versus Irvine.

My reaction to 2 is that the proposed lineup hasn’t got a shot in hell to succeed. You basically can’t play extended periods of Sean and Tucker together. Jordan doesn’t really know what’s going on at this point defensively, and Sean just is terrible at not getting screened. They’re both nice players, but we would allow an opposing offense to get whatever they want. That’s not a recipe to improve our first half performance. This doesn’t even address the fact the proposed lineup has Kamar coming off the bench. If I need to explain why we don’t want that, it’s unlikely my explanation would be listened to.

Changing the starters is not a terrible idea if the idea is to generate a cultural shake up, but it has to be done carefully. The reality is that I don’t think it’s as easy as people want it to be to say that the players in the starting lineup are the source of the problem.

14. Dunhamfor3

Dunhamfor3 Member

Money:
    $65

So are you saying 100% of the blame goes on the coach, and not the five players on the court?

Starters are out there for 4-5 minutes. Then something called a substitution happens, then the coach can decide who is playing well and make changes to the “line up”. Some then choose to play their best five players more the rest of the game. /s

Also, Stevens and Boltman both sat players to send a message. Worked for both. Most recently Kelan benching. He came back like a man possessed

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  15. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,441
    No I’m not saying that at all. (I have MUCH greater problems with the assistants than Lavall fwiw) I’m questioning whether we have a problem that can be fixed by rearranging lineups.

We have a lot of guards that don’t have a good “feel” for the game, and we have a guard with excellent “feel” that defenses don’t respect. Combine that with a couple spectacular offensive wings who can’t guard (and one doesn’t rebound either), and a staff that I don’t think demands maximum toughness, I think the solution to our problems may be much less accessible than what can be achieved by the change to our lineup.

pjohnsto2003 and Dunhamfor3 like this.