Butler Bulldogs vs. Illinois Fighting Illini - 11/21 - 10:00 PM

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Jared Grubbs, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $16,458
    [align=center][img=200x200]http://www.blastmedia.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Butler_bulldog_logo.jpg[/img]........[size=large]VS[/size]........[img=200x200]http://www.sportspagemagazine.com/content/bm.pix/logo-illinois-fighting-ilini-575x575.s600x600.jpg[/img]

Time: 10:00 PM Eastern
    TV: ESPN
    Radio: WIBC 93.1
    Online: ESPN 3

Butler Roster
    Illinois Roster
    Illinois Message Board
    [/align]

2. Three Specks

Three Specks New Member

Money:
    $5
    This should be a good game. Not an easy win at all. That being said, if Butler plays like they did today, they will win.
    I have to say, the Butler people who have come to Maui have really affected the atmosphere of the game. They are soooo loud. It really makes a huge difference.

3. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,458
    Illinois definitely has a lot of talent. I thought they were going to be pretty good last year, but things were just a mess. No one was on the same page at all. They look a lot better so far this year. They seem like a team who could make some noise in the Big 10. Of course, I'm also biased, as I am also an Illinois fan (I was an Illinois fan before attending Butler).

4. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,228
    I think it will be another close game (one to two possessions) at the end. Why does the Butler Way work? Because teams with prima donna McDonald's All-Americans don't want to be bothered to do what it takes to to compete with us possession by possession. When we are on (the first 30 minutes tonight) it takes a real strong IQ team to keep up.

You have to remember that of all the A10 opponents, Xavier knows us best, so I wasn't surprised that they came out with a good game plan. Another reason for our tourney successes of late have to do with teams not preparing properly. I think you saw that tonight.

5. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,448
    If I predict Butler to lose like I did the last two games then we should be in good shape.

6. butler04

butler04 New Member

Money:
    $5
    I'm unfortunately with you. However, my main reason is like the Xavier game, they have coaches that are VERY familiar with Butler's actions and tendencies from being former Butler assistants. When Groce was here, our system was a little different, but Miller was here with the current staff. While he was here a short time, he needed to only be here for a few days to know what BU does. I hope the second that one of these assistants leave that Brandon is Stevens' first call.

7. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    I've noticed that on TV. Really good contingent of Butler fans out there. That gym is kind of like a smallish Indiana HS gym. I would imagine the fans are right on top of the action and LOUD on LOUD. That has to be a great atmosphere to play in.

It's been about 18 months, but we are back Nationally now. I was a little worried after the X game, but the intensity, focus and purpose has picked up greatly. We can play.

Brandon Paul is a load. I would imagine Rosie will get that tonite.

Let's win a championship! Maui style.

8. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,458
    I think it's very important to win this game. It would hardly be a bad loss, but it would hurt to kind of give back a little of what they just gained. Win Maui and it looks like the Xavier game is the fluke. Come up short here though, and the perception is probably that the UNC game was the fluke. It would be very nice to keep this momentum going. Win this and with upcoming games against Hanover, Ball State, and IUPUI and Butler is most likely 7-1 with wins over 3 possible at large tournament teams heading into Big 10 matchups with Northwestern and Indiana. Big turning point.

9. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,458

10. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,458
    Rough night for everyone but Clarke. No inside presence, Dunham struggled, Stigall went back to the Stigall who received constant criticism, and the defense was slow rotating all night. Plus Illinois played extremely well.

11. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,102
    Butler just looked tired last night (except Clarke). Illini played a great game, but when your team wasn't really tested versus the meat grinder Butler endured, makes sense.

Still loved the fact that they did not quit even though nothing was really falling.

12. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,458
    It was definitely a good tournament showing for Butler. It just sucks it ended on such a bitter note. They've got some much easier games coming up to work on things and try and get better for their next tough stretch. Can't have a let down for any of these.

13. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,883
    Illinois played nobody until the final game.

Butler had a battle every game.

Butler looked good last night all things considered.

Nothing to be down about.

14. Butler1970

Butler1970 New Member

Money:
    $5
    Random thoughts: Illinois is a really good basketball team and will be tough in the Big 10. They are deep and offensively balanced. Marshall looked tired which may be why he sat out a lot in the second half. Devontae Morgan looked good. He is smooth and played well particularly on the defensive end. I expect that Fromm will be getting more minutes. Too bad Woods is so skinny.

15. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    I echo what others have said about the fatigue factor and who Butler played and who the Illini played. IMO it was definitely a factor especially in that first half. Illini just looked much more fresh and their ball movement was outstanding in the 1st half.

Offensively I didn't think we attacked their high ball screen defense very well. Illini did a great job hedging with their Big. Dunham was gassed. That's tough for a FR to play 3 in 3 days. Credit the Illini though. Richardson played great D on Kellen. That is a great 3 pt shooting team and Paul is a pro. Great experience for KD and it will make him better.

All in all that was an invaluable tournament for Butler and we did so many things well there.

We are back Nationally and that is a good feeling. Need to build on this the next few weeks.

I too liked the aggressiveness of Morgan on defense. I could see him getting in the rotation this year as we need his speed. Do you think his ball handling is there though?

Really liked what Fromm did off the bench there too. Our bench is starting to look good IMO. Fromm/Stigall have played well this year. Barlow/Morgan/Aldridge have played well in spots. Need to get Kam going though. I thought he competed harder vs the Illini, but he has to really help us off the bench if we want to go far this year. My hope is by the Indiana game he knows his role and executes it as well as he can. He has ability and talent. he just seems unsure of himself at times.

Really becoming a Rotnei fan. As Raftery said on the telecast, "He is a gamer."

16. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    David Woods ?@DavidWoods007
    #Butler (3-2) is No. 7 in RPI. That's because its opponents are 21-3 (losses all to Butler) and strength of schedule is No. 2[hr]
    Kameron Woods was ineffective on offense tonight but grabbed team-leading 8 rebounds. #Butler bigs do not finish around rim
    #Butler has offensive issues to resolve but made major progress since Nov. 13 loss at Xavier. Illinois played like Top 10 team

17. Butler1970

Butler1970 New Member

Money:
    $5
    When Hopkins was let go everyone thought we lost the only player that could penetrate. Clarke puts that to rest. Clark's ball handling has improved dramatically since Arkansas. I think Morgan is going to be good and soon. Fromm improves every game.

18. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    http://blogs.indystar.com/butler/2012/11/22/butlers-november-should-help-in-march/

19. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,448
    I don't think Clarke is a bad point guard by any means. He's perfectly fine. I just wish he didn't have to play point. He is such a gifted scorer, he'd be much better off the ball.

20. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $120
    If Butler can figure out their offense (aka, PG situation), I think they'll be on the right track, but I have no idea if this team has what it takes to make the tournament because there's no consistency at this point. Clarke being able to penetrate doesn't do much for Butler's offense because he's still the only threat to score when he does. Has a 0.57 to 1 A/T ratio, and does not deal with pressure very well. Dunham actually has the best A/T ratio on the team at 3 to 1, but I am not advocating him to be point guard, though I do feel he sees the floor better than Jones. However, scoring is going to be an issue at times this year because other than Clarke, we're relying on a Freshman who has a very difficult time creating his own shot (if he really can at all) and a 6'6 forward that isn't very consistent simply because of his limited skillset that he's simply not physically gifted enough to exploit his opponents with every night.

Additionally, teams with athletic guards that can shoot the 3 are going to give Butler a lot of trouble defensively, because Clarke has to sag off of guys to try and cut off their dribble penetration, as does Dunham. I do think it's good that they played Illinois though, because while the systems won't be the same, IU normally has 4 guys that are capable of shooting the 3 on the floor around Zeller, so hopefully at least they might have learned something about how to limit the floor spacing for that game.

There were definitely some positives to take away from Maui (two very positive wins), but this team is far from a product that I would confidently say has a good chance of making the tournament (I'm not much of a risk taker though, so if I say it, it'll either be after they win the conference tournament or after they announce their name on selection Sunday;)). Hopefully they can get there, but there are definitely some issues that they're not likely to correct during the season because they don't appear to have the personnel, just have to hope it doesn't end up burning them in the end.